4200 Turbo Supra

Boricua SS

Well-Known Member
#2
NICE! :thumbsup:

what kinda numbers are you hoping to put down with her?
 

Boricua SS

Well-Known Member
#4
limequat said:
Low boost 400 to the wheels.
:salivate: videos please when she dialed in :yes:
 

ScarabEpic22

Well-Known Member
#7
What exhaust manifold are you running, cant remember if Ive asked before. Steedspeed or custom?
 

McGMT

Well-Known Member
#10
Saw a video of this a while back, did it quit smokin` yet like it was when it was N/A? I remember it was blowing a little blue when you first got it done, was just wonderin if it went away with a lil` bit of use.
 
OP
OP
limequat

limequat

Well-Known Member
#11
McGMT said:
Saw a video of this a while back, did it quit smokin` yet like it was when it was N/A? I remember it was blowing a little blue when you first got it done, was just wonderin if it went away with a lil` bit of use.
Yep, that cleared up after I ran it for a couple days. I figured some oil must have gotten in the intake when I flipped it upside down to put the oil pan on.
 
OP
OP
limequat

limequat

Well-Known Member
#12
I moved recently and am renting out my old place. That means that Oct 1 is D-Day. Everything must go. Sep 29, everything is moved except one thing: My 1987 Toyota Supra with a Trailblazer I6 engine, a Pontiac Solstice 5 speed manual, and a VVT turbo out of a Duramax. That also means that all of my tools and equipment are already moved.

I came back for the Supra carrying a small plastic tool box, a jump starter, a laptop, a HPTuners interface, and -I figured- maybe a 40% chance of success. I knew the Supra would start and run, but with the move I hadn't had a chance to do any sort of shake down run. It was 6:30 PM on Sep 30. I touched the white hood and said a small prayer to the god of engine swaps. "One more time, old friend. For old time's sake."

I popped the hood and hooked up my charger, hoping some juice would trickle in while I worked on other things. Installed the intake tube v-clamp and slid the air filter over the other end. It was already getting dark in the 4 car garage, so I pushed the Supra out onto the lawn to giver her the once over. Turbo oil feed? Check. Oil drain? Check. Coolant lines -uh- can't really see in this light. Check.

I had not much idea what state the engine calibration was in, so I pulled down whatever was on the PCM and had a look. I had to switch PCMs a while back and never updated the tune. Looking now, I could see that it was still setup for an auto trans, but most non-existent emissions systems were already disabled. The 80 lb/hr injectors were already configured. Good, that's the hard part. Worked some Lime-Swap voodoo, and started reflashed. Said another prayer to the engine-swap gods that the battery had enough juice to keep my HPTuners interface alive. Reflash complete. Shadows getting long.

Turned the key to "On." Listened to the fuel pump run for precisely 2 seconds. Left foot, clutch in. Right foot touched the accelerator. Key turned, and the engine reluctantly rolled a bit then stopped. And then started to roll again. Feathered accelerator and she barked and settled into a nice idle. And then a not-so-nice idle. The interior lights brightened and dimmed as the PCM tried to decide whether it wanted to continue running or not. Not. Stalled. Back to HPTuners. Bump idle by 200 RPM. Reflash. Turned the key and nothing. Then a slight electric whine. A cough, and she's back to life at a comfortable idle. Surely, that consumed the very last electron from my charger. It was then quite dark.

I hopped in and turned on the flip-up headlights, happy that the added alternator load didn't kill the engine. I worked the clutch extra delicately, so as to not stall. The engine sounds happy and the shifting is smooth. I had planned to take backroads on the 30 mile journey, but I can see the coolant gauge creeping to an uncomfortable position. Fuck it. Hit the freeway. We're going home.

One eye on the laptop and one eye on the gauges. I drove by braille. God, the 4200 is a sweetheart of an engine. Smooth, linear, and torquey. And now, what's this? The VVT is definitely spooling, even with the vanes fully open! I watch on the laptop as the MAP sensor maxes out at 103 kPA, even though I'm only half way through the throttle range. Oh man. I CANNOT wait to get boost control on this thing!

Other than some high-temp excursions, the trip home was easy. No stalling. No driveability problems. Now this is my driveway:





 

gmcman

Well-Known Member
#13
What a story this has been, I remember the beginning on the OS and can't wait for some more vids....as well as the rest of us here. Looks sweet!
 

ScarabEpic22

Well-Known Member
#14
Glad you were able to limp it to your new place man, I still cant wait for you to get the cooling dialed in and crank the boost. I still LOVE the VVT turbo, they can make boost at idle if you want 'em too!
 
OP
OP
limequat

limequat

Well-Known Member
#15
ScarabEpic22 said:
Glad you were able to limp it to your new place man, I still cant wait for you to get the cooling dialed in and crank the boost. I still LOVE the VVT turbo, they can make boost at idle if you want 'em too!
^^ You and me both.

BTW, I did hook the VVT to simple on/off. Didn't notice much difference except it was really quiet when "ON" and really loud when "off". Cool :smile:
 

ScarabEpic22

Well-Known Member
#16
limequat said:
^^ You and me both.

BTW, I did hook the VVT to simple on/off. Didn't notice much difference except it was really quiet when "ON" and really loud when "off". Cool :smile:
Yep, thats the only downfall of not having the PCM control the VVTurbo (realized that VVT already exists on our engines, dont want others to get confused ha). In the Duramaxes, the ECM controls the vane position to build boost at lower RPMs, fortunately/unfortunately for the I6 they love to rev. And thats a big turbo for an I6 to begin with...:cool::biggrin:
 
OP
OP
limequat

limequat

Well-Known Member
#17
OK, I'm stuck on something.

The supra cuts power right about the time boost starts coming on. It acts kinda like a rev limiter, but I can rev out if I don't go WOT. I don't think it's anything in the tune, because I'm running pretty much the same calibration as another guy who has has no problem hitting 10 psi and revving to 6600.
It's not a MAP problem. I tried 1 bar, 2 bar, and no map, all with the same results.
MAF is 4" and no where close to maxing out.

Any help, this is driving me nuts! The supra feels mean as hell, but it won't let me have any fun!
 

ScarabEpic22

Well-Known Member
#18
Whats your P0608 value set to?

Can you post a log of it? I know you have HPT, dont think you have EFILive. If you're comfortable with me looking at your tune, shoot it and the log to my email and Ill check it out for ya. :thumbsup:
 
OP
OP
limequat

limequat

Well-Known Member
#19
ScarabEpic22 said:
Whats your P0608 value set to?

Can you post a log of it? I know you have HPT, dont think you have EFILive. If you're comfortable with me looking at your tune, shoot it and the log to my email and Ill check it out for ya. :thumbsup:
Cool, thanks! My P0068 maf/map/throttle correlation is disabled.

Latest development, the problem goes away when the maf is unplugged (but that brings other problems).
 

ScarabEpic22

Well-Known Member
#21
Ah yes that will do it, glad you got it sorted out. I got your email, dont have HPTuners on my work laptop and my personal one is at home. Might be able to look at it tonight or tomorrow, but dumping fuel does weird things.

Did you kill COT as well? I had that kick in on my SS when I had it on the dyno last, got 10.5:1 at 4400-5000rpms. Not good for power...
 
OP
OP
limequat

limequat

Well-Known Member
#22
ScarabEpic22 said:
Ah yes that will do it, glad you got it sorted out. I got your email, dont have HPTuners on my work laptop and my personal one is at home. Might be able to look at it tonight or tomorrow, but dumping fuel does weird things.

Did you kill COT as well? I had that kick in on my SS when I had it on the dyno last, got 10.5:1 at 4400-5000rpms. Not good for power...
I checked in my tune and the COT conditions were set to something like 493 F. For good measure I went ahead and set COT lambda to 1.
Do you know what the entry conditions are for piston protection? In HPT there is only a RPM value. Stock is something like 3200. I just now set it to 8k rpm.
 

ScarabEpic22

Well-Known Member
#25
I dont know what the parameters for piston protection are, I just looked through my SS tune quickly and couldnt find it.

How's it running with COT set to 1 and the other changes?
 
OP
OP
limequat

limequat

Well-Known Member
#26
ScarabEpic22 said:
I dont know what the parameters for piston protection are, I just looked through my SS tune quickly and couldnt find it.

How's it running with COT set to 1 and the other changes?
Much better!

I disabled COT, piston protection, and PE for dialing in the 4" maf and 2 Bar MAP. IPW went from > 10 ms (on 80 lb/hr) to < 5 ms.

It's pretty much dialed in when warm, but it still doesn't like low load when cold. I think there's an open loop fueling table that's screwing up with the 2 bar map. Gotta check that next.
 

oh05ext

Well-Known Member
#33
it sounds really quiet. i have a co-corker with a 2jz swapped supra like yours and his is pretty loud,it must be the different types of exhausts i guess.whats the limiter set at on your car?i elieve he said his cuts at around 6500 rpm.his car needs tuned badly
 
OP
OP
limequat

limequat

Well-Known Member
#34
oh05ext said:
it sounds really quiet. i have a co-corker with a 2jz swapped supra like yours and his is pretty loud,it must be the different types of exhausts i guess.whats the limiter set at on your car?i elieve he said his cuts at around 6500 rpm.his car needs tuned badly
Yeah it is kinda quiet... I have a resonator and magneflow.

I think the rev limiter is back to stock. I had it up to 7000 for a while, but there's no power up there.
 

bruhaba

Well-Known Member
#36
Nice work Lime. You must be having a ton of fun now. What was the reason for running a 2 bar map sensor? I should be driving my project this weekend and you have me wondering now because I have the stock 1 bar map in the intake.
 

ScarabEpic22

Well-Known Member
#37
bruhaba said:
Nice work Lime. You must be having a ton of fun now. What was the reason for running a 2 bar map sensor? I should be driving my project this weekend and you have me wondering now because I have the stock 1 bar map in the intake.
You need a 2 Bar MAP in order to see boost, the stock 1 Bar will only show up to 100/105 kPa or 14.7PSI aka atmosphere/1Bar of pressure. As soon as you introduce FI, you WILL be above this and max the MAP out. Depending which PCM you have will dictate my answer on this one, the P10 Id leave the stock 1 Bar in place and figure out a place to mount another 2 Bar MAP (and feed this into your boost controller/whatever you'r using to control fuel/spark in boost). P12 or E67, swap the 1 Bar for a 2 Bar and adjust for it.
 
OP
OP
limequat

limequat

Well-Known Member
#38
^ Yep I just wanted to be able to log boost on my scanner. Also I don't have a boost gauge!
Autoroc with the 4.2 turbo camaro is still on the 1 bar. Postive pressure tuning is done via the MAF.
 

bruhaba

Well-Known Member
#39
OK, basically just to log it. My 06 should just carry out the last value of the ve table. I wouldn't think it's a problem like Lime said, the MAF takes care of it. Great idea though to be able to log it.
 
OP
OP
limequat

limequat

Well-Known Member
#40
bruhaba said:
OK, basically just to log it. My 06 should just carry out the last value of the ve table. I wouldn't think it's a problem like Lime said, the MAF takes care of it. Great idea though to be able to log it.
Yep. From what I understand the airflow calculation uses a blend of MAP and MAF at low load and then switches exclusively to MAF in high load.
If I was going to do it over, I think I would add the 2 bar in addition to the 1 bar. The switch COMPLETELY fubar'd the VE tables. It wasn't a straight scalar. On the flipside, you can keep your stock MAP, scale a 4" MAF and have a nearly stock quality tune just like that for up to 12 psi.

- - - Updated - - -

bruhaba said:
Nice work Lime. You must be having a ton of fun now. What was the reason for running a 2 bar map sensor? I should be driving my project this weekend and you have me wondering now because I have the stock 1 bar map in the intake.
Thanks! Still working out the kinks, but when it's happy it's like "whoa, hold the f*** on!"
 

Members online

Top Bottom