4.2L Thermostats

Dr.Fiero

Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Searched, couldn't find the answer....

Was just about to order a new T-stat (from Rockauto) for the '05, and something in the back of my head said WAIT!

Am I having a false memory, or are there two different shapes to them over the years??
Really don't want to order the wrong one and have to try sending it back.

I'm totally getting the 192*, so no worry there.

Dr.Fiero

Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Ummm... might have just answered my own question.

If the pipe is bent, it's a round gasket/base.
If the pipe is straight, it's got a "square"ish base?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's the same thermostat, all round base, all years. Probably what you're looking at that is square is the outlet at the head that goes to the top radiator hose. That's just an outlet, no thermostat there.

Looking at RA, they don't list an ACDelco, just Gates and Motorad. They don't list it in the catalogue but if you put in part # 15-11006 , it comes up. ACDelco is the better one and keeps proper temps. Others I have found are lower than specified. There is also the Mahle/Clevite TI22688 , which as far as I can tell, supplies the same part to ACDelco. and is cheaper, and also available by entering the part number directly in the search.

Reactions: W4UWC and Beacon

Dr.Fiero

Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
It's the same thermostat, all round base, all years. Probably what you're looking at that is square is the outlet at the head that goes to the top radiator hose. That's just an outlet, no thermostat there.

Yep, that's what it is - they just had it listed on the T-stat page so it threw me off. Sigh.

The shipping (to Canada) is killer on RA when you just get one thing! Ends up being over $50 - might just end up grabbing it locally.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I bought the acdelco off amazon.ca. it was made by behr. Has been on a few years now and works perfect. Think it was under 70 all in.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online