4.2 vs 5.3...hear me out.

ZR2Trailblazer

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
I'm sure you guys get these questions all the time. I remember them popping up a few times at trailvoy. I did some poking around over there but most of that info seems to be at least five years old. I reserve the right to ask more questions later, but here we go.

In my intro thread I mentioned that I'm a prior TB owner. I sold it a few years after I bought it, mainly because I rushed and didn't do my research. I loved everything about it, but it didn't have everything I wanted/needed. Anyways, I'm now on the hunt for my perfect Trailblazer. I've been looking for an Imperial Blue Metallic 4wd(no two-tone) . Needs to have black heated leather seats, sunroof and would prefer navigation but not a deal breaker. Must have RPO G80 and GT4. Would like less than 50k on the clock. I think that's about what I'm looking for.

What does this have to do with engines? Well I'd also like to get the 5.3 on top of everything else. I've found a few that match, but they have the 4.2 that my old TB had. Now, I loved that truck and the power felt more than adequate, but I never towed with it and as long as the truck moved I didn't care what was under the hood.

I guess my main questions would be how does the 5.3 stand out from the 4.2? Am I being too difficult in my search and should I just settle for the 4.2? What I'm specifically wanting the V8 for is towing, maintenance, and the extra torque for a bit of off roading. Also, to be honest, I just plain want a V8. :biggrin:

What do you guys think? I'm open for any and all input. Thanks guys.

jham

Nov 20, 2011
ZR2Trailblazer said:
I'm sure you guys get these questions all the time. I remember them popping up a few times at trailvoy. I did some poking around over there but most of that info seems to be at least five years old. I reserve the right to ask more questions later, but here we go.

In my intro thread I mentioned that I'm a prior TB owner. I sold it a few years after I bought it, mainly because I rushed and didn't do my research. I loved everything about it, but it didn't have everything I wanted/needed. Anyways, I'm now on the hunt for my perfect Trailblazer. I've been looking for an Imperial Blue Metallic 4wd(no two-tone) . Needs to have black heated leather seats, sunroof and would prefer navigation but not a deal breaker. Must have RPO G80 and GT4. Would like less than 50k on the clock. I think that's about what I'm looking for.

What does this have to do with engines? Well I'd also like to get the 5.3 on top of everything else. I've found a few that match, but they have the 4.2 that my old TB had. Now, I loved that truck and the power felt more than adequate, but I never towed with it and as long as the truck moved I didn't care what was under the hood.

I guess my main questions would be how does the 5.3 stand out from the 4.2? Am I being too difficult in my search and should I just settle for the 4.2? What I'm specifically wanting the V8 for is towing, maintenance, and the extra torque for a bit of off roading. Also, to be honest, I just plain want a V8. :biggrin:
What do you guys think? I'm open for any and all input. Thanks guys.

well with everything you listed it sound like you have your mind made up that you want the V8. We can all give advise but you are ultimately going to go with what you want.

ZR2Trailblazer

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
jham said:
well with everything you listed it sound like you have your mind made up that you want the V8. We can all give advise but you are ultimately going to go with what you want.

Right, but I don't need it bad enough to chase unicorns. The V8 only comes after everything else is met. Honestly the color is more important than the engine, but I'd prefer the V8. Mind is made up, but I'm not that stubborn. :smile:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
stormsurge said:
Sounds like a ss is more of what you want. 6800LB towing and alot of fun.:yes:

Did you miss the part about off-roading?

ZR2Trailblazer

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Yeah, no SS for this guy. I'm not looking for a mountain climber or anything. Got one of those. It will need to be moderately capable off the pavement though. :smile:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
I know what G80 is, but what is GT4? 4:10's?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Short Bus said:
...what is GT4? ...
I'll alert Google that they have a service outage in your area. 1000 apologies on their behalf. :wink:

Seriously, three letter words are too short to use the site's search function, but I remind everybody that Google is more powerful, and the site-restricted search function is unbelievably useful. Google for "GT4 site:gmtnation.com" or "GT4 site:trailvoy.com".

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Well the reason both of my 360's have all options including the 5.3 are along the lines of your explanation except I don't off road, just tow heavy stuff. That is why I have the Rainier and the 9-7. The Rainier had only a handful of options and the 9-7 had only three options being v8, nav and dvd so everything you can think of is already included plus it has a bunch of stuff none of the others offered. Because that is the case for both, the v8 is quite a bit easier to find while the nav and dvd were so expensive those took a bit of searching. Your'e asking how the V8 stands out. Well on the 9-7, if you got the v8, you got factory xenon headlights and pop up washers, plus the sound is instantly recognizable and of course the badge says v8. Other than that, maybe you get into traffic a bit faster, accelerate while at highway speed a bit faster and for me tow quite a bit better. I prefer to have the v8 just because they offered it even if I didn't tow stuff but the 5.3 yields the same mpg as the i6 and if the LS2 got even near the 5.3 mileage I'd have gotten one of those in the 9-7. By the way as mentioned I have the factory nav in both my 360's and it is really a pretty bad system. My wife's droid phone navigation is literally 100 times better and she never uses her built in nav in her Rainier.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
the roadie said:
I'll alert Google that they have a service outage in your area. 1000 apologies on their behalf. :wink:

Seriously, three letter words are too short to use the site's search function, but I remind everybody that Google is more powerful, and the site-restricted search function is unbelievably useful. Google for "GT4 site:gmtnation.com" or "GT4 site:trailvoy.com".

:duh: I should have googled it. :hail: the Roadie. At least you didn't LMGTFU me :wootwoot:

ZR2Trailblazer

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Jkust said:
Well the reason both of my 360's have all options including the 5.3 are along the lines of your explanation except I don't off road, just tow heavy stuff. That is why I have the Rainier and the 9-7. The Rainier had only a handful of options and the 9-7 had only three options being v8, nav and dvd so everything you can think of is already included plus it has a bunch of stuff none of the others offered. Because that is the case for both, the v8 is quite a bit easier to find while the nav and dvd were so expensive those took a bit of searching. Your'e asking how the V8 stands out. Well on the 9-7, if you got the v8, you got factory xenon headlights and pop up washers, plus the sound is instantly recognizable and of course the badge says v8. Other than that, maybe you get into traffic a bit faster, accelerate while at highway speed a bit faster and for me tow quite a bit better. I prefer to have the v8 just because they offered it even if I didn't tow stuff but the 5.3 yields the same mpg as the i6 and if the LS2 got even near the 5.3 mileage I'd have gotten one of those in the 9-7. By the way as mentioned I have the factory nav in both my 360's and it is really a pretty bad system. My wife's droid phone navigation is literally 100 times better and she never uses her built in nav in her Rainier.

First, thanks for the heads up on the navigation units. I've only ever had factory navigation in my wife's Murano and thought it was outstanding. Maybe I'll just stick to my Bionic and the laptop.

Thanks for the input on your experience as well. That's kind of where I'm at. I want the V8 because it's there. I just didn't want to end up spending months searching just to be disappointed.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
ZR2Trailblazer said:
First, thanks for the heads up on the navigation units. I've only ever had factory navigation in my wife's Murano and thought it was outstanding. Maybe I'll just stick to my Bionic and the laptop.

Thanks for the input on your experience as well. That's kind of where I'm at. I want the V8 because it's there. I just didn't want to end up spending months searching just to be disappointed.

Well I can drill down further on the nav issues. The Nav unit in the 9-7 is better all around than the Rainier even though the look identical they aren't. The 9-7 nav has a second, dedicated map dvd slot and a cd slot while the Rainier and all the non Saab 360's only has a single slot so if you want to listen to a cd you have to remove the nav disk and go back and forth. Personally since both my 360's have the rear entertainment tv, I plug my phone into it and listen to Pandora anyway. In addition to that, the nav unit just responds kind of slow to your inputs...like a pc that's running slow. The 9-7 nav seems slightly quicker than the Rainier's but my biggest beef is that even though I have the newest nav disk, it just doesn't do a good job of locating roads. Like if you know a certain address exists and has for a long time so should be on the disk, it just won't let you enter the street number and grays out the number boxes. The droid you just speak into it and instantly locates your address. I do like the large screen and being able to locate things when I'm in the vicinity but not exactly sure the exact spot or that you can see the cross street ahead of you at night or when you're just unsure.

Even for example if I was looking at a newer Envoy Denali when I purchased my 360's, they were always missing something like the 3.73 or the G80 or the Nav or the entertainment and finding the all options was really difficult. (Difficult where my Rainier was the only one I could locate in the country with everything and there were just a couple 9-7's as well. I bought the 9-7 several states away and had it shipped to me.) Thats what drove me to the Rainier and the 9-7. My very first 360 was three 360's ago and was a 2004 Rainier which was rolled over and totaled but I looked at what seemed to be a hundred Tralblazers and Envoys before it hit me that Rainier always had the 3.73, the G80 which were difficult to find on the other 360's. Of course the Rainier was the first short wheel base 360 to offer the v8 way back in 2004. The benefit of the Rainier I learned when I bought my first one was that they were sold to a demographic without little kids and were really expensive as was the SAAB, so the second owner many times got a 360 where no kids had beat up the back seats. The Trailblazers and Envoys even a couple years old back then were always well used as you'd expect when the much younger buyer had kids. Bummer you need to offroad (ie 4wd vs only A4wd) because if that would have been in my requirements list I'd have likely had to settle.

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
I also say wait it out for the V8.
I waited for about 6 months of looking everyday until I found a truck that matched what I wanted.
Don't worry, it'll come up.
I even used the autotrader.ca and kijiji.ca RSS feeds into google reader and sent that feed to my phone. When anything new came up, I just opened the phone and looked.

If you find a V8, you may want to consider anything from 06 and above. Those include the Displacement on Demand. Really nice when it drops to 4 cyl. I get better MPG's than my wife's 4.2.

Good Luck on your search!

ZR2Trailblazer

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
06Envoy said:
I also say wait it out for the V8.
I waited for about 6 months of looking everyday until I found a truck that matched what I wanted.
Don't worry, it'll come up.
I even used the autotrader.ca and kijiji.ca RSS feeds into google reader and sent that feed to my phone. When anything new came up, I just opened the phone and looked.

If you find a V8, you may want to consider anything from 06 and above. Those include the Displacement on Demand. Really nice when it drops to 4 cyl. I get better MPG's than my wife's 4.2.

Good Luck on your search!

Was that the year they did the face lift? I'm actually a fan of the older front ends. Not a huge deal, but I was curious if only the new style front ends came with DOD.

My wife and I share a Cruze Eco, and with her not working its pretty much my DD while she drives her Murano to go shopping or whatever, so fuel efficiency is very low on my priorities. Obviously I'll take better fuel efficiency if it's there. How does that DOD work for you? Is it pretty responsive when you get on it? Passing while towing would be my main concern. Also, what's involved with maintenance over a 5.3 without it?

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
ZR2Trailblazer said:
Was that the year they did the face lift? I'm actually a fan of the older front ends. Not a huge deal, but I was curious if only the new style front ends came with DOD.

My wife and I share a Cruze Eco, and with her not working its pretty much my DD while she drives her Murano to go shopping or whatever, so fuel efficiency is very low on my priorities. Obviously I'll take better fuel efficiency if it's there. How does that DOD work for you? Is it pretty responsive when you get on it? Passing while towing would be my main concern. Also, what's involved with maintenance over a 5.3 without it?

I've had one 360 without the dod and two with it as mentioned and they were all identically equipped. The mileage difference isn't huge. There is no perceivable switch from 4 cylinder mode to 8 cylinder mode. Literally can't tell it's a feature if nobody told you it was included and there is no maintainance. It was included in regards cafe standards and politics. The dod actually only kicks in under very limited parameters so on a nice long highway trip without hills it's great since it will be on much of the time. The newer trucks have a light that turns on when dod kicks in but our format didn't get that. The biggest real difference on these suv's I think occured for the 2006 model year when statility control was added except for the 9-7x that got it for the 2005 model year. Stability control is the most amazing feature I've ever experienced on any vehicle particularly in the winter but I bet your Murano has it since many foreign cars were ahead of the curve.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
stormsurge said:
Nope. He sead just a bit of off roading. A ss can do that. They can be lifted.

Yes but you can't lock into low range. I'd like to hear about someone light offroading in an on demand all wheel drive 360. Gotta think it wound't be all that bad plus there's rock climbing level and going throught the woods level.

ZR2Trailblazer

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
stormsurge said:
Nope. He sead just a bit of off roading. A ss can do that. They can be lifted.

I don't think I'd take an SS down the road I grew up on. Maybe my definition of a bit of off roading is different. When I say that I'm saying it should be able to make it through most of the trails at Uwharrie. Not looking to do all of Moab or anything, but an SS doesn't meet my needs for off road driving. :smile:

stormsurge

Jan 29, 2012
ZR2Trailblazer said:
I don't think I'd take an SS down the road I grew up on. Maybe my definition of a bit of off roading is different. When I say that I'm saying it should be able to make it through most of the trails at Uwharrie. Not looking to do all of Moab or anything, but an SS doesn't meet my needs for off road driving. :smile:

Theres not much around here for hardcore off roading. I picked up my ss for towing a camper someday.( Cheaper than a tahoe.) Light offroading to me was a few bumps and a little mud. my i6 runs great but never pulled anything. 5.3 should have good power for pulling.

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
You can't get a short wheel base with a 5.3L before 2006 (interior facelift in 05, exterior facelift in 06). I would definately hold out for the 5.3L, especially since it sounds like that's what you really want. The fuel economy is going to be the same and you get more power. However, I would not hold out for the 4.10 gears with the 5.3L. You will get better fuel economy with 3.73 gears (obviously get the G80 though). You should know, the 5.3L Trailblazers are more much more rare than an SS.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
91RS said:
You can't get a short wheel base with a 5.3L before 2006 (interior facelift in 05, exterior facelift in 06). I would definately hold out for the 5.3L, especially since it sounds like that's what you really want. The fuel economy is going to be the same and you get more power. However, I would not hold out for the 4.10 gears with the 5.3L. You will get better fuel economy with 3.73 gears (obviously get the G80 though). You should know, the 5.3L Trailblazers are more much more rare than an SS.

Rainier. Had the v8 in 04 and the saab in 05 and the 4 10 wasn't available with the 5 3 only on the ss. The g86 was standard on the saab and the g80 was standard on the rainier in the early years then became optional.

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
Jkust said:
Rainier. Had the v8 in 04 and the saab in 05 and the 4 10 wasn't available with the 5 3 only on the ss. The g86 was standard on the saab and the g80 was standard on the rainier in the early years then became optional.

He isn't looking for a Rainier or 9-7x. I got the RPOs mixed up, I was thinking GT4 was the 4:10 for some reason.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
5.3 only came with 3.42 and 3.73 in the '06+ SWB. (I'm not sure about LWB)

FWIW, the "new style" front ends are only on the LT models. I have an '07 5.3L LS (old style front end) with 4wd, G80, and 3.42. Because of the lower end torque with the V8, the 5.3L does better with 3.42 than the I6 does with 3.73, as far as towing and such. I've towed several 6500# car trailers with mine, and it does fine...

Mine:

320377_260207130676789_170187876345382_857538_6688613_n.jpg

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
91RS said:
LWB could be had with a 5.3L since 2003.

Yeah, I know. I was talking about not being sure if you could get 4.10 final drive in a LWB with a 5.3L.

Mike

sevendj

Dec 9, 2011
the roadie said:

Very true, I've found that searching youtube videos is actually better if I go to google.com and search youtube there, rather than use the search bar on youtube's actual website.

Far fewer 12-year-olds singing songs...

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
ZR2Trailblazer, keep in mind if you get the TB with the 5.3, it already has the stronger 8.6 rear. With that you can go with an open rear and get a much stronger locker than the G80.

Mike, do you think the 5.3 with 3.42 gears would be fine for 33's?

I know on trailvoy a few years back there was this long discussion and I came to the conclusion that the newer I6 and V8 were pretty close (hp, torque etc) except the 5.3 sounded better and possibly had more possibilities for upgrades.

I know the I6 has issues with the thermostat and the camshaft position sensor and the camshaft position actuator and the fan clutch and motor mounts but is generally otherwise very reliable and last a long time.

Does the 5.3 have a laundry list of known issues and is it as long time reliable when cared for properly?

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
navigator said:
ZR2Trailblazer, keep in mind if you get the TB with the 5.3, it already has the stronger 8.6 rear. With that you can go with an open rear and get a much stronger locker than the G80.

Mike, do you think the 5.3 with 3.42 gears would be fine for 33's?

I know on trailvoy a few years back there was this long discussion and I came to the conclusion that the newer I6 and V8 were pretty close (hp, torque etc) except the 5.3 sounded better and possibly had more possibilities for upgrades.

I know the I6 has issues with the thermostat and the camshaft position sensor and the camshaft position actuator and the fan clutch and motor mounts but is generally otherwise very reliable and last a long time.

Does the 5.3 have a laundry list of known issues and is it as long time reliable when cared for properly?

Correct. If I was buying used, without a powertrain warranty, I'd get a 5.3L with an open (8.6") diff and put a lunchbox locker in it...

I really don't see why not... Obviously, 3.73 would be preferred, but mine tows a small trailer fine in OD, without unlocking the TCC in overdrive a whole lot, with my 30.5" tires...

They are pretty close in peak HP (-5HP) and somewhat reasonably close on torque numbers (-30 ft-lbs), so the acceleration is reasonably close, but you really need to drive one. The torque is much lower on the 5.3L, so it doesn't have to spin as much to make power. Even with the 3.42 gears and 30.5" 10-plys, completely loaded for a combination vacation/offroading trip for the wife and I, there are only 2 hills on the interstate between Indiana and central VA that I dropped lockup in 4th going up.

The only real issue with the 5.3 is the possibility of having to replace the driver's side valve cover (containing the PCV valve) if it starts going through oil. Mine is still fine. I burn ~1/2 quart of oil in a 10,000 mile OCI. Also, since the 5.3L has a PCV valve (the I6 doesn't), we don't get oil in our intake. I looked at my intake, inside and out, at around 90k miles, and it's still spotless. No need to clean it, like the I6.

Mike

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
if the 5.3 and the I6 are so close in power and fuel economy I wonder why they built the I6?
I would expect it is either to have a "V6" option for the enviro-wackos or because it is cheaper to build.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
navigator said:

The list is short. Cold start up ticking and oil usage mentioned above, all were TSB's and at least for me fixed within BtB warranty period so hopefully others got it fixed too. It's funny how on paper the 4.2 and the 5.3 are similar but in reality the extra two cylinders make a difference. Sort of like the 4.8 v8 in a new Silverado is very close on paper to the 5.3 in the same truck but there is a decent difference when you drive them.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
navigator said:
if the 5.3 and the I6 are so close in power and fuel economy I wonder why they built the I6?
I would expect it is either to have a "V6" option for the enviro-wackos or because it is cheaper to build.

The I6 was supposed to be the only engine, but it became apparent that the LWB could use more torque, when loaded. Then after they put them in the LWB, and they were doing the SS (the frame is the same between the SS and SWB 5.3L), there was no reason not to do it...

Jkust said:
The list is short. Cold start up ticking and oil usage mentioned above, all were TSB's and at least for me fixed within BtB warranty period so hopefully others got it fixed too. It's funny how on paper the 4.2 and the 5.3 are similar but in reality the extra two cylinders make a difference. Sort of like the 4.8 v8 in a new Silverado is very close on paper to the 5.3 in the same truck but there is a decent difference when you drive them.

Exactly! Not much different on paper, but huge difference in driving them.

Mike

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
navigator said:

Didn't see this earlier. I've asked the same thing. GM had to develope this engine from the ground up only to use it in one single format. Unlike the 3.6 for example that seems to be in every GM crossover and car. The V8 was a couple grand more so I get that they needed something cheaper and something to upsell. To me excluding the extra cost of the V8, the V8 does everything the same or better, sounds better and is easier to mod. For the 6 to make sense to me, I'd have wanted some pretty substantial mpg increases. Whether it is possible or not I don't know.

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
Bartonmd said:
Yeah, I know. I was talking about not being sure if you could get 4.10 final drive in a LWB with a 5.3L.

Mike

Ah, ok. I'm not sure about that. The 5.3L is so rare, I've probably worked on less than 5 in the last few years. I didn't even know they came with the larger rear differential like the EXT/XL/SS.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
91RS said:
Ah, ok. I'm not sure about that. The 5.3L is so rare, I've probably worked on less than 5 in the last few years. I didn't even know they came with the larger rear differential like the EXT/XL/SS.

Remember the SS/Aero have a completely unique rear diff than anything else, 9.5" 14 bolt. SWB I6s have the puny 8", LWB I6s and anything with the 5.3 have the 8.6". GM didnt make it easy for us, wish they would have just given everyone the 8.6" so the SWB I6 guys wouldnt have to deal with an oddball. Oh wait, we have an I6. Too late.:rotfl:

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
Jkust said:
Didn't see this earlier. I've asked the same thing. GM had to develope this engine from the ground up only to use it in one single format. Unlike the 3.6 for example that seems to be in every GM crossover and car. The V8 was a couple grand more so I get that they needed something cheaper and something to upsell. To me excluding the extra cost of the V8, the V8 does everything the same or better, sounds better and is easier to mod. For the 6 to make sense to me, I'd have wanted some pretty substantial mpg increases. Whether it is possible or not I don't know.

I believe the Trailblazer was a few firsts for GM. If I remember correctly, it was the first GM vehicle designed completely on computers. They also needed/wanted a "high-tec" engine for it, and the inline design was a way to get that cheaper. It's still dual overhead cam with variable timing, but with only one cylinder head and only one cam adjustable it was cheaper. In my opinion, it's one of the most reliable engine GM's ever made. They rarely use oil or have other problems or leaks. I really don't know why they let it die though, they should have killed off the almost 30 year old 4.3L that STILL always leaks and put the 4.2 in it's place.

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:
Remember the SS/Aero have a completely unique rear diff than anything else, 9.5" 14 bolt. SWB I6s have the puny 8", LWB I6s and anything with the 5.3 have the 8.6". GM didnt make it easy for us, wish they would have just given everyone the 8.6" so the SWB I6 guys wouldnt have to deal with an oddball. Oh wait, we have an I6. Too late.:rotfl:

I guess they didn't! I didn't realize that either.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Bartonmd said:
Exactly! Not much different on paper, but huge difference in driving them.

Mike

I suspect it has to do a lot with where the power and torque comes in and also how the power is distributed, and not simply the peak numbers (which as you said are pretty similar).

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Sparky said:
I suspect it has to do a lot with where the power and torque comes in and also how the power is distributed, and not simply the peak numbers (which as you said are pretty similar).

Yeah, like I said in a different post somewhere up there, the power is just much lower, and much more broad than the I6. It's just a more 'relaxed' drive, and it doesn't feel labored, even when towing...

Mike

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Another vote for "hold out for a V8"..

the I6 is a adequate engine. But I notice a huge diference in the way it pulls a U-Haul up the Colorado mountains. The V-8 can hold a gear, and a speed better on Dead Mans Hill (first big hill going west out of Denver). Where as the I6 could not hold a gear, or any speed evenly.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online