SOLVED! 4.2 I6 9-7x Throttle body assistance

Abcuser

Original poster
Oct 27, 2019
Earth
I have an 08 Saab 9-7x, with the 4.2 I6. It has just over 100k miles, and decided to clean the throttle body for the first time. I wasn’t getting any codes, and had no issues. Just had some time to burn.

Disconnected the negative terminal, removed Throttle body to clean (With Valvoline throttle body & Carb cleaner) It was decently coated in junk, but not terrible. Only took a few minutes to clean with the spray and rag. Replaced the gasket, and installed everything. (Nothing is disconnected)

Started it up, and went to back out of my driveway and the throttle was hanging at 1,500 or so RPM. Almost smashed into my fence.
Driving under normal conditions it seems fine, but when you’re idling in gear it will keep moving, if you’re not heavy on the brakes. Upon slowly down you can feel this, needing way more braking power.

any ideas?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Drive it a bit more and check for any codes. You might already have a pending code which might point you in the right direction. If you have a capable scanner, check the fuel trims.

Double check for any hoses you might have missed or possibly damaged during disassembly/reassembly. Recheck that the throttle body to manifold gasket is OK.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No and I have never seen it idle that fast.

Abcuser

Original poster
Oct 27, 2019
Earth
It idles fine. Just when in drive it seems to hang around 1400 or so, and will go down as you slow down but never to 600. Not even if you put it into N while driving

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That is very strange. Any codes? It kinda sounds like the throttle has trouble regulating the RPM. I would try disconnecting the battery again for at least 30 minutes. Sounds like possibly the throttle body or the sensors in it got damaged. But I would think that would throw a hard code and even REP.

So you put in drive and the RPM increases to 1400? What about you go from P to N? If you rev it in P, does it come back down?

If you have a ELM327 and Torque, you can check the Acc pedal sensors and throttle sensors (desired and indicated positions) using the PIDs in this post:

Abcuser

Original poster
Oct 27, 2019
Earth
That is very strange. Any codes? It kinda sounds like the throttle has trouble regulating the RPM. I would try disconnecting the battery again for at least 30 minutes. Sounds like possibly the throttle body or the sensors in it got damaged. But I would think that would throw a hard code and even REP.

So you put in drive and the RPM increases to 1400? What about you go from P to N? If you rev it in P, does it come back down?

If you have a ELM327 and Torque, you can check the Acc pedal sensors and throttle sensors (desired and indicated positions) using the PIDs in this post:

I had the battery disconnected over night.

it will sometimes idle at 650, but when driving and coming to a stop it will stay at 900 and drop down. But not always.

I realized what’s happening. When you’re driving and let off the throttle, it will stay at whatever speed you’re driving until you touch the brakes.

no codes.Should I try replacing the TPS?

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
I had the battery disconnected over night.

it will sometimes idle at 650, but when driving and coming to a stop it will stay at 900 and drop down. But not always.

I realized what’s happening. When you’re driving and let off the throttle, it will stay at whatever speed you’re driving until you touch the brakes.

what does that mean "sometimes idle at 650"... it should pretty much do that idle speed all time.
The "re-learn" is a 3 minute idle, turn off, let sit for a minute, then restart and check idle. If normal idle doesn't happen, repeat. IF still doesn't normal idle then you have to do some highway drive with some changes of speed / de-acceleration. The idle should be normal at between 600ish and 650ish depending on things (ie. AC, alternator charging, etc).

Reactions: Mektek and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

I'm thinking maybe the pedal or sensor is sticking somehow. Before you throw a bunch of money at it, I'd grab a pedal assembly and throttle body from a pick n pull yard. Cheaper than new.

Abcuser

Original poster
Oct 27, 2019
Earth
Well.......

I feel like an idiot!

Drove it for two hours like this today, and decided to take everything apart again. Not a single issue. Even attempted taking the sensor off on the side, and quickly realized it is just gears and such. Put everything back together, and same issue.

Driving around pissed off, and thinking what could possibly be causing this. I realized, it felt almost like cruise control, but would speed itself up at times. I’ve never even used cruise control in this truck, so I had to look for it. Sure enough, the toggle was set in the middle position and not on the “0” which I assume means off? Anyways, I set it to 0, furthest to the left and problem solved. Something so silly. It was never showing on the dash that cruise was engaged? Even when I attempted to turn it back on.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Very strange as even in the "on" position in the middle, it should do nothing unless you push on the button on the end of the stalk or slide and hold the button to the end, which is resume or accelerate. Maybe the button is not functioning correctly.

As for the Cruise's dash light, they don't all have it. Mine doesn't work but the stalk may have been added later but the BCM wasn't reprogrammed to make the light work but cruise works fine.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
you have wiring / stalk issues assuming your observations are correct. But since you know how to "work around", its your own "dime" as long as you remember about the "extra braking" when things go arye... which again shouldn't happen as any braking should disable all cruise functions.

Reactions: Mooseman

Abcuser

Original poster
Oct 27, 2019
Earth
Indeed.

I never use cruise control with any of my vehicles, so it’s not a problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
You should not just drive away after throttle body cleaning. Start it and let it idle in place for a few minutes. The idle will be shaky and you'll probably get a check engine light, but you have to give it a few minutes and it should stabilize.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online