2nd vehicle choices, LWB GMT 900

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I really hate looking for vehicles, even though I'm an enthusiast. Likely comes down to I don't want to pay for a new one, and buying used is always a gamble.

While I'm a huge fan of the 9th gen 8.1, my search has focused more on a 2012-14 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2. Not a fan of the 91+ octane but not a huge deal.

Also contemplated a 2016/17 Explorer Platinum or sport, the interior is very well laid out.

Anyone with input please feel free to add to the discussion.

I like the room of the Yukon XL, wish the 2nd row seats would slide but it's a tradeoff for having all the room for trips.

I also wasn't aware the 6.2 was an AFM motor, and I have not researched the Ford engines at all, but like the 3.5L setup.

So feel free to talk me in or out of them, all criticism is appreciated.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The 3.5 Cyclone engine in the Expedition is a good motor, until about 80k miles. With the internal water pump, you dont know theres a problem until its to late.

Preventive maintenance on the water pump is expensive (have been told $3000).

Still trying to figure out when they stopped putting in the V8 Coyote in them. I think 2014 is the last year for the V8 in the Expedition.

As for the AFM, you could always get that tuned out. I think I remember reading that effective 2021 model year, they are dropping the AFM/DOD anyways. But I think it was related to chip shortage, not anything else.

Edit:

Last edited:
Reactions: gmcman

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Thanks, didn't know about the water pump.

I test drove a 2016 Explorer today and while they did a great job on the interior, the front seats are just too narrow, and I'm not a large person...lol.

I did find a 2012 XL Denali in white diamond pearl with tan interior. Motor sounds real good, zero noises @91K and I started it stone cold, paint doesn't have any marks, nicks, etc.

I don't like the fact it has 22" wheels, may swap those for the 20".

I may pull the trigger on it......I really hate buying vehicles...:crazy:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I test drove a 2016 Explorer today and while they did a great job on the interior, the front seats are just too narrow, and I'm not a large person...lol.
Thats the same problem I have with the 2007-2014 GMT FS, and the 2021 GMT FS. Have not found to many 2015-2020 models to try.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Thats the same problem I have with the 2007-2014 GMT FS, and the 2021 GMT FS. Have not found to many 2015-2020 models to try.
It seems that each subsequent model change, the seats get smaller and firmer.

Looking inside a $100K Navigator, the 2nd row looks like leather wrapped plywood. Looks like seats from a cargo van.

Screenshot_20210510-144545_Google.jpg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
It seems that each subsequent model change, the seats get smaller and firmer.
Thats literally what the GMC dealer said to me when I looked at the 2021 Yukon Denali XL last week. Sorry, for that much money, I want soft, plush, etc.

Reactions: gmcman

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
If all goes well, this search should come to a close tomorrow. We agreed on a good price for the 2012 Yukon XL Denali, white diamond pearl/tan interior with 2nd row power fold/heated bench.

I was after the 2nd row buckets but this might actually work out better for the time being.

Been hunting for months, hopefully this all works out.

Reactions: Matt

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
"expected to lower fuel economy by 1 mpg" - all that fancy DOD tech. Hardly seems worth it.
As for the Ford 3.5 ecoboost - The expedition 3.5 Eco uses the external waterpump like the f150 but the transverse engine in the Explorer has the stupid internal pump that destroys the engine if it fails and costs thousands to replace.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Beacon

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online