2nd encoder motor

Beacon

Original poster
Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
When I bought my Saab 4.2i it was stuck in 4wd 89k miles. I replaced the encoder motor, dorman, from sixtyauto. Changed the transfer case fluid with auto trak 2. This was in early April, I'm pretty sure it was never driven in snow/ice, that i can recall, since I've owned it. Tonight, I replaced the encoder, dorman from rock auto and changed the transfer case fluid again. 93k miles.

Some other possibly important info.
With the recent change, i found no evidence of tranny fluid being mixed in with the auto trak 2. it looked brand new coming out, and when i drained the pan, it filled the empty bottles, within reason (spillage). The first time i changed it, it was dark, and I swear i got more out than i put it, however i could not prove this as i changed the engine oil the same day without emptying the pan, nor did i verify a completely empty pan prior to starting.

When I bought the front tires were dunlop sport something 255/55/18 pretty much bald. rears Michelin sport 255/55/18 1/2 to 3/4 tread life remaining. I left these on for a while, as i searched for a deal on tires. late june early july, one of the fronts blows out, the other was showing threads in the inside. The new full size spare was driven, for about a week, or less, and since i was on the road, she went to a local shop and had a used matched set of 4 225/55/18's put on, not knowing that i had ordered a set of 255/55/18's. So, July 25th (3 weeks?) later it when in the shop to have the NEW tires put on and an alignment.
I'm not really sure this matters, but 1st weekend of August, we went on a little road trip and driving back, someone passed me, so seeing as i had a ticket taker in front of me, i put the hammer down and drove for about 100 miles at 87-90 mph, past 90 it seemed to pick up a little floor board vibration, so i backed off.

I haven't test the motor i took out today, but i plan to put some juice to it, and see if it moves, then tear it apart to see if the gears inside are broken.
Getting the reason of the post.

1) Has anyone had, or heard of an encoder motor being trashed that fast, especially since, i don't even know why would have activated 4wd at this time of year?

2) Is this my fault for not changing the transfer case fluid a 2nd time within 500 miles of the first change? BTW, i think i may be the 1st person to change it, just a hunch.

3) Did i screw up by buying a dorman instead of ACDelco motor?

4) Why is it activating 4wd in middle of summer? Did she punch it pulling out of the gas station in a rain storm? or am i just grasping for straws? As i recall the story was, it acted up turn into a parking lot.

What say you GMTNation?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I know of at least one other who had issues with their AWD using a combo of new and worn tires. The system activates the front wheels on detection of rear wheel slip. He basically had a constantly activating AWD due to the difference in wheel speeds front to back.

Maybe you didn't feel it but maybe it was constantly activating, burning out your encoder motor.

Unless your transfer case is already damaged, as long as you change the fluid every 50k, it should be fine. But the constant clutching of the TC may have burned it out too.

It's a stupid system. Unless you really need it, I'd rip out the axles and driveshaft and make it a 2wd.
AWD/4x4 front diff permanent disable

Someone even swapped it into a 4x4 and works without a hitch.
Converting from AWD to 4x4 Transfer Case (9-7x, Bravada, Rainier)

Reactions: Beacon

Beacon

Original poster
Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
Someone even swapped it into a 4x4 and works without a hitch. @Mooseman I have considered this even before the problem, mostly because I'm a control freak when it comes to driving a vehicle. It does seem like a lot of work though, but i am still thinking about it.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Do you have 4WD, or AWD? If 4WD, are you driving around in A4WD or 2HI? Should be in 2HI.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online