2020 Silverado HD... thoughts?

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Um it looks like they took a cue from Ford and their obnoxiously huge ugly noses from their previous gen F250/350.

I don't mind the 1500, but this......

yuck.

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Um it looks like they took a cue from Ford and their obnoxiously huge ugly noses from their previous gen F250/350.

I don't mind the 1500, but this......

yuck.
Bet it doesn't overheat maybe?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I think there's going to be a thriving aftermarket in upper grill garnish replacements...
- plain chrome
- plain matte black (or back grille color, to match the egg crate)
- bow tie outline (center cutaway) in both versions above

What Chevy shoulda done was put the 'Chevrolet' in reverse lettering - that way, when one comes up behind a passenger car (aka: 'lesser vehicle') to scare the bejeezus out of the driver, they'll know what's 'about to end their life' if they don't move out of the way...LOL

Unfortunately, there's no help for those side mirrors, until GM changes out the plastic. Some (real) chrome might look nice there (especially on the bottom half / base), although they'd have to get a special FAA exemption concerning reflection of sunlight toward in-flight aircraft.

Now that I think about it, chrome would add weight, so that ain't gonna happen, either.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
If the mirrors mounted more like the NBS non power towing mirrors they wouldn't be that bad. The rest of the truck, from front wheel back, looks nice though.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
The rest of the truck, from front wheel back, looks nice though.

Agreed. I saw the front 3/4 profile via the link you posted - I've certainly seen worse.
If the worst we're complaining about is the grille and the mirrors, the stylists must've done something right
(now I'm curious to know who the lead designer / PM was for the new trucks)

Last edited:

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Agreed. I saw the front 1/4 profile via the link you posted - I've certainly seen worse.
If the worst we're complaining about is the grille and the mirrors, the stylists must've done something right
(now I'm curious to know who the lead designer / PM was for the new trucks)
The front is God awful though.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Ugly as sin....

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Did Ford and GM merge? That thing is hideous!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've seen crack whores with better looking grills.
:puke:

I found the Ford grills to be gaudy and basically this is the same. I suppose it's better than a like sized bow tie. (If there is a GM designer reading this, I will throat punch you if you do this!)

Reactions: xavierny25

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Allegedly the truck is huge. The Chevrolet is at chin level supposedly...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No word on sticker price? Anyone think this will hit $100g?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Looking at that nose again... I wonder if people would rate it an improvement if the crossbar were 'centered', heightwise. That would split the headlamps. And get rid of the 'Chevrolet' cutout. If you just had to have a logo there...make it occupy 1/2 the height of the bar, right-justified (e.g.; driver's side), at 1/4 the width end-to-end. Unless it's a bow tie. Then center that (but still smaller)

Actually, with that right-justified placement, I'd go with 'Silverado' over 'Chevrolet' (and redo the fender-mounted badges, which I've never liked)

If going with the bow tie, make it 'float' in outline (cutout within a cutout).

I don't have photochop-like software on this laptop, or I'd work all this up into a pic.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
We should have a "do your own grill" contest. Ugliest one wins. Let's see who can beat GM designers.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Looking at that nose again... I wonder if people would rate it an improvement if the crossbar were 'centered', heightwise. That would split the headlamps. And get rid of the 'Chevrolet' cutout. If you just had to have a logo there...make it occupy 1/2 the height of the bar, right-justified (e.g.; driver's side), at 1/4 the width end-to-end. Unless it's a bow tie. Then center that (but still smaller)

Actually, with that right-justified placement, I'd go with 'Silverado' over 'Chevrolet' (and redo the fender-mounted badges, which I've never liked)

If going with the bow tie, make it 'float' in outline (cutout within a cutout).

I don't have photochop-like software on this laptop, or I'd work all this up into a pic.
If they centered it in the headlamps then it would look like a ford...

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Sheesh, that should improve Colorado sales.... and F150s.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
The Colorado is a nice truck tbh. But the problem is a nice silverado vs a nice Colorado I think I'd end up with the full size... The price difference ain't much

Reactions: djthumper

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Sheesh, that should improve Colorado sales.... and F150s.

And GMC... just think...that extra few hundred will actually get you something, this time around :wink:

Reactions: Bow_Tied

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
The Colorado is a nice truck tbh. But the problem is a nice silverado vs a nice Colorado I think I'd end up with the full size... The price difference ain't much

You are correct. But if you are like me and don't want the full size as a smaller truck makes more sense, the Colorado fits the bill. I'd rather have an SUV based on the Colorado though.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
You are correct. But if you are like me and don't want the full size as a smaller truck makes more sense, the Colorado fits the bill. I'd rather have an SUV based on the Colorado though.
Same. That's why I'm looking at the Colorado currently as my trucks replacement.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Same. That's why I'm looking at the Colorado currently as my trucks replacement.

Which Colorado model are you considering? I am not certain, still a long ways off without a downpayment. :/

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Which Colorado model are you considering? I am not certain, still a long ways off without a downpayment. :/
Z71. I want the towing ability. Crew can long bed so I lose no usuable space either. The extended cabs second row is a literal joke. Idk who could drive that with someone like me in the back seat. For my cousin to be comfortable I was straddling the back of the seat and the door couldn't close lol.

I'm going to have to order one though, the options I want either make the truck too expensive or they aren't on the lot. I have some chevy cash and a ~12k down payment saved so the loan wouldn't be too bad with my buddies discount. I just want something the way I want it and not have to add crap down the line. And I want a reliable vehicle. Not that the TB isn't a rock but 170 miles a day with 200k plus miles hangs in the back of your head you know?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Heard someone today say they looked like a Ford. I'm am utterly hurt. Got a couple nice things on the front but just as many nasty bits. And the nasty bits outweigh the nice bits.

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Heard someone today say they looked like a Ford. I'm am utterly hurt. Got a couple nice things on the front but just as many nasty bits. And the nasty bits outweigh the nice bits.
The full size right?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And I give you, the Fordrolet Silverado F250.

Fordrolet.jpg

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
Reactions: Mounce

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
OMG! :crackup:

littleblazer

Original poster
Jul 6, 2014
This

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181209-190929_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181209-190929_Chrome.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Mooseman

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
That's the 4 floor, 20 passenger version for towing cruise ships.
Yet it will only ever see use as a grocery-getter.

I just read this article stating the 2019 4.3 and 5.3 in the Silverado manage to get 2-3mpg WORSE than the 2018 variants. They're reallying going all out. Looks and efficiency.
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/12...orse-fuel-economy-with-4-3l-and-5-3l-engines/

If you scroll way down, you'll see a grille that has a bowtie still. I think that looks a lot better than anything posted in this thread thus far.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Fordrolet_ver003.jpg

Face full of bowtie!

Reactions: Redbeard

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I dunno, those last two pics look to me like they were created in Minecraft practically. Meh.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mine were done with a simple screenshot app. Just to illustrate ugliness.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Sorry, Moose. Didn’t mean to imply your pic was poor (I chuckled) but rather the general design premise is chunky/blocky. I’m sure there were trying for muscular/tough look. But it just turned out archaic. I don’t expect it to look like an Aventador, but in this day and age some modern cues of style to smooth out the bruteness would be appropriate esp for the grll and light placement.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.