2020 Sierra/Silverdo 1500 DIESEL

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Finally, some interesting news from GM. They came out with a diesel version of the 1500. And get this, it's an I6! Hot damn! So far, reviews have been good even though the Ram V6 diesel beats it in torque but is supposedly super smooth.

The Silverado is still fugly though. Strange that we all missed the news of this engine in July.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Ya I cannot stand the new GM trucks, looks like some GM design engineer brought his slow kid to work day.

I have mixed thoughts on that new I6 diesel. I believe it uses a timing belt and I think the packaging under the hood was also designed by that slow kid.

The ecodiesel has its share of problems though, some poor emissions components and issues with the main bearings grenading.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Which is why you never buy the first year of anything until.they have proven themselves .

The Silvy is awful but the Sierra is a bit better and tolerable for the eyes. Wife's been bugging me to buy a pickup for hauling the RV. After a while, I might look into this one.

Reactions: Redbeard

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Watch the payload, especially for towing a travel trailer. The RAM and Titan 1500 diesels have horrible payloads. One Titan with a diesel I saw at a car show had a 900# payload. Others I've looked at had about 1100#. The diesel adds a lot of weight to the truck.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
GM has promised limited use of the 3.0 Duramax to up level LT,RST and LTZ trims only. The Duramax will cost you $4800 over the standard asking price on the LT and $3250 on RST and LTZ. For the money you get the 10 speed 10L80 as the only transmission option which obviously is factored into the cost. Trailboss level trim will not have the Duramax as an option. I think this is the best looking of the bunch with it's factory installed 2 inch lift and decent LT sized rubber. :frown:

3.0L-LM2-Duramax-I-6-Engine.jpg

Last edited:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
So they will make this engine for about 7 years then use a 5 cyl diesel in the colorado...at which point the aftermarket will come out with a bunch of mods....:dielaugh:.

Sorry....had to...:cool:

Does look sweet though.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The Duramax will cost you $4800 over the standard asking price on the LT and $3250 on RST and LTZ.

So somebody explain this one to me. Why does the same engine cost more when added to one trim and less in another?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Because they make more money on the trim mark up. And it also feels like you're getting a better deal getting a better trim level. If it costs them 1000$ to fit the diesel in a truck it's a lot, they just make their money elsewhere as you move up.

Reactions: cornchip

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Interesting news surrounding the Duramax. Seems GM/Nemak is pulling up shop and moving to Mexico with engine block production. It would appear that production is debugged and in progress. With that said, the bean counters are moving the tooling south to increase profits. Sad that tax payer dollars propped up this Mexican company back in 2015. Doubt it have any impact on initial or future quality as parts like these are closely monitored for consistency. Should be a jewel of a motor.

LINK

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Interesting news surrounding the Duramax. Seems GM/Nemak is pulling up shop and moving to Mexico with engine block production. It would appear that production is debugged and in progress. With that said, the bean counters are moving the tooling south to increase profits. Sad that tax payer dollars propped up this Mexican company back in 2015. Doubt it have any impact on initial or future quality as parts like these are closely monitored for consistency. Should be a jewel of a motor.

LINK
When did that change? My L31 was cast in mexico... thought most of the blocks were?

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When governments bail out companies like this, there should be a requirement that the plant has to stay for a minimum of 10-20 years so they can recoup the money through taxes.

Reactions: BrianF and Reprise

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
When governments bail out companies like this, there should be a requirement that the plant has to stay for a minimum of 10-20 years so they can recoup the money through taxes.

It's a criminal act and I can't believe how blind politicians are to this.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
When did that change? My L31 was cast in mexico... thought most of the blocks were?

More production than you would believe has been from the Great Lake States (Michigan and New York) and Southern Ontario. It's where the highest concentration of skilled trades and engineering firms exist to do this level of work.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
More production than you would believe has been from the Great Lake States (Michigan and New York) and Southern Ontario. It's where the highest concentration of skilled trades and engineering firms exist to do this level of work.
Good to know.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.