• Maybe

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I see @Redbeard and a new member @jdyonker are located in Michigan. I think I remember seeing a few more that were located in southern portion of the mitten?

Anyone interested in a GMTNation Midwest meetup at some point, either when there's no snow on the roads to have to worry about while traveling or when spring comes back around?

Feel free to reply to the thread but, please also answering the polling question for easier tracking. Depending on where the people live that would like to attend, we can also discuss the city/state that we can all/mostly all agree on.

I live in the Sterling Heights area, west of Detroit.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So would this be an actual get together at somebody's place or just a meet up in some parking lot?

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
Ha, good point. I was just trying to gauge how many, if anyone would want to start an annual meetup. I guess it would depend on how many people there were I guess.

A meet at a park or something and then a bar, race karts, games, etc. We could really do anything.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
There used to be a regular midwest meet but people got busy and or less interested. I just can't do them like I used to as I have too much going on to go too far from home.

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
Well, maybe with new members and after time maybe other people's time freed up a little bit, we can start a new annual meetup. It's worth a try.

Looks like we have 5 that are interested so far. I can't see who they are to gauge distance from one another though. Am I missing something on the poll to be able to view who voted or is that not possible if you select the not viewable publicly?

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
I’m in Fenton mi. Little south of flint. I’d love to go to another meet. Went to the 2018 meet and had a good time.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm North of the Border. Depending on where it is, it could be a 9-12 hour drive, probably longer with RV in tow.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
There's an idea... couple guys with campers, and meet in a state park (Michigan might be good?)
Only issue might be alcohol (I know IL state parks don't allow it, for example), and enough beds to sleep everyone (mine fits 3, besides me).

Depending on how many campers we have, reserve several adjacent spots.

Some parks have 'group' camping spots (which might be good for not disturbing other campers, especially as it gets later (by the campfire) 🏕🔥

Last edited:

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
I like the RV idea. I don't have one but, I'm sure I could borrow one for a weekend.

Grand Rapids/Muskegon or anywhere up North would be an amazing trip. I'd probably start with Muskegon for the dunes and dune buggy options.

Reactions: Mooseman

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
There still is a Midwest meet every year in Elkhart, IN area. I missed last one, but will trying to go this year. Grimor hosts it and has a yard you can put a tent or camper in and there is a hotel a few blocks away. We had pitch in grill out and a bonfire last one i was at.

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
If there's already an annual meetup, we should try to keep that going.

@Grimor are you still willing to host for this year's meetup?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't recall one for 2019. I was at the 2018 meetup at @Grimor 's place. He might not be able to this year due to another big event.

Reactions: Maverick6587

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
There's an idea... couple guys with campers, and meet in a state park (Michigan might be good?)
Only issue might be alcohol (I know IL state parks don't allow it, for example), and enough beds to sleep everyone (mine fits 3, besides me).

Depending on how many campers we have, reserve several adjacent spots.

Some parks have 'group' camping spots (which might be good for not disturbing other campers, especially as it gets later (by the campfire) 🏕🔥

Like that has ever stopped us at any of our meets before.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
So, the "annual meet" at my place has actually been every other year. That would typically make this the year to have another one. I am still willing to host the location, there's a bigger pool and RV hookups now, but am getting married in Oct so not able to foot any of the food/booze expenses this year. June/July usually works well for dates. If someone wants to stepup on planning, feel free to keep my place as an option.

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
Anyone opposed to July 3rd as the meetup date? That is a Friday and will fall on the weekend of July 4th 🎆. I vote we keep traditions going at Grimor's location and we can work on a backup plan/location if he is unable to, since life happens. Everyone can bring their own food and drinks and we can work on grilling some meat when we get there.

What are the normal guidelines on bringing people? Is this normally a guys/gmtnation only event or does everyone usually bring their significant others with them?

Reactions: Mooseman

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
What are the normal guidelines on bringing people? Is this normally a guys/gmtnation only event or does everyone usually bring their significant others with them?

Spouses and kids are always welcome and we've had many at the meets. Personally, my wife and son don't because they find it weird/boring.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mrs. Moose came along last time so family is definitely welcome.

For food and drinks, I would suggest a "pot luck" kind of deal where each brings/makes their own specialty dish and we chip in for meat on the BBQ.

I'd have to check with her but I think we can work it into an RV trip that would also include Thunder Bay. If that's the case, then the Saab would be coming instead of the TB as I tow the RV with it. Last time, everybody was asking me why I didn't bring it instead of the plain Jane TB.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
Holidays are a bit hit and miss for most people on coming to meets. It gives time off work, but then end up with family commitments that make it impossible to go. A random Saturday/weekend a few months out often works better so people that need it can take a day off with plenty of notice.

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
How does June 5th or June 12th sound? Which date would work better for everyone? The 3rd or 4th week in August would work too (unless that's too close to the wedding @Grimor ), it would just have to be after Roadkill Nights. The date is not posted for that event yet.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
I would probably go with June over August, but not for any particular reason I guess. As far as I know, any weekend in June should work for me

Reactions: Matt

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
Any votes for a preference on June 5th or June 10th, from anyone that plans on attending the meetup?

Either date works for me but, I'll vote June 5th.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Well, I'm not going to be able to attend at this stage. Chanin is going to Vegas for a 50th that weekend and I'll be at home with the boy...who has absolutely no interest in cars.

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
@Matt Since no one else really voted. Would the 10th work better for you?
I don't want to keep going back and forth on dates but, it seemed like either would work for Grimor?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Honestly mate, I don't know. The bar I worked at closed yesterday so now I'm on the hunt again and can almost guarantee that I'll be working weekends.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The weekend of the 5th should work for me. Mrs. Moose may not be able to come though due to work. May or may not bring my RV trailer depending how my repairs go (floor replacement).

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Ive got you in the books for the meet. Will try to make a trip out there for atleast the saturday portion. I will try and inform some of the more OG guys to see if we can get them out.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Kid can camp and swim, got a new pool. I'll let him play with the thermite... plenty to do for non-car kids lol.
don't forget the magnesium fuse this time.

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
Michigan is on house arrest until May 28th. It'll probably get extended, again... :whore: (the state leader)

Are we still going to be able to do this, or do we need to play it safe?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think whether stay at home orders are lifted or not, it is likely most people will not want to get together. I know for me it's a hard no, even if the border was to open, just for my own health and safety.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think we all wish this shit would just go away. Would have loved a road trip right about now.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Covid is gone now. I should have headed up there.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The border has apparently opened up a bit to allow reuniting with family. Hey, I miss my GMT family! :laugh:

Reactions: Matt and xavierny25

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Been contemplating heading up to MI in August. All of us local SS folks in the bordering states meet up for the Woodward Dreamcruise every yeat. Reports have been so wishy washy that it makes deciding that much harder. Not to mention I juuuust got called back to work this week and with all of our restrictions and lack of others being called back, all of our pre approved vacation days have since been denied since there is no coverage. Time will tell how it all plays out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online