2018 Chevrolet Tahoe RST

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I really like the vehicle (interior styling, 10AT, 8400 tow).
I'd LOVE it about $20K USD cheaper. If I'm spending 80K on a Chevy, it'll be a Vette.

I could have done with a different reviewer. But it's YouTube; I understand that.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I really like the vehicle (interior styling, 10AT, 8400 tow).
I'd LOVE it about $20K USD cheaper. If I'm spending 80K on a Chevy, it'll be a Vette.

I could have done with a different reviewer. But it's YouTube; I understand that.

I agree with you on the price. It looks even better in black.

If you want another review :

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I really don't care at all for the brown leather interior. I drive a 2015 Tahoe at work with the 5.3 and 6 speed. It's not a bad performer and will get you up to speed fairly quickly but I could imagine the 6.2 being the cat's ass.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I mean our 4.2 L I6 with 3.75 gears (I believe) perform really well. Can't speak for the SS yet!!! But I'd save the $$$ and get something cheaper and go with and LS2 swap. Much faster and cheaper than this.

But I kinda get what this is about. It's something meant to be like a Chevrolet Denali trim in my opinion. But I sure won't be dropping that much $$ just for a blacked out bowtie!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The 6.0 in the NBS escalades moved. The 6.2 in the new ones moves well too. Passes everything but a gas station.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
The 6.0 in the NBS escalades moved. The 6.2 in the new ones moves well too. Passes everything but a gas station.

HEYYY! I pass by gas stations all the time and you're telling me a 6.2 can't. However I eventually have to turn around to get to the gas station again :biggrin:

AzTruckGuy

Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
$78K high performance? I could get a used Porsche Cayanne and get into a 996 and 997 Porsche and have real performance from Germany. In op that Tahoe is not worth $78k

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
To put things into an Historical Perspective… If you compare the price of This One Vehicle selling at $78,000.00 versus The Original Chevrolet Model “T” Truck that had its public release announcement date on November 22nd, 1916 with a delivery date direct from the Flint Michigan Chevrolet Factory for early December, 1916 for the modest amount of $595.00 ... you could afford to purchase a Fleet of (131) Chevrolet Model “T” Pick Up Trucks for that much money! (Ostensibly… Unlike The Ford “Model T” Sedan… Chevrolet’s Model “T” stood for TRUCK).

The very idea that a Pick Up Truck could appreciate 131 Xs its Original Cost of Manufacture over 100 Years is completely absurd. I bought my First House back in 1976 for $25,800.00 and sold it 16 years later for $58,000.00 ...so even with that much money in hand, it would only pay off about 2/3rds of the cost for that One Truck. And THAT would be a Cash on The Barrel Head !!! NOT an APR Loan that would take (7) Years to Pay Off and in the end... would raise that cost astronomically for the average Truck Owner. This ...is the very definition of Insanity!

So much for Inflation... (Please... Nobody will EVER convince me that these vehicles actually cost more than a Fraction of their Designs, Materials and Assembly... No matter how wonderful their other Engineering Progress Updates have become. A $78,000.00 Price Tag..?. Really...? For a vehicle that is assembled and welded together primarily by Industrial Robots doing most of the Heavy and the Complex work? This is Work being done by Intelligent Machines that NEVER get Sick... or Take Time Off... Or Ever Die... and Most Importantly when addressing the inflated $78,000.00 Price Tag... They NEVER Take Any Pay Checks for the Work They Do!
\

As for the Human Involvement... These Latest, Greatest Truck Releases follow CAD Designs made at Work Stations by people who barely have to lift a finger to do any "Real Labor" to create these "New Trucks" from scratch. Has all of this “progress” made the average owners of Pick Up Trucks any happier than the owners were back in the days when they could actually work on their own vehicles after buying something useful and utilitarian? Sometimes… I wonder. Anybody who has THAT much money to pay for something that rolls around on wheels, rusts and rots away, wears down and wears out and is guaranteed to eventually break down sooner than later... should at least spend some of that Coin...Having their Heads Examined! LOL

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/10/95-years-of-chevy-pickup-history.html

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
At one time, pickups used to be a cheap alternative to a car because they were working men's vehicles and were pretty bare bones. The big option used to be 4x4 and an automatic. Nowadays, trucks are better appointed than some of the most expensive luxury vehicles with the price to match.

And according to the US Inflation Calculator, that same model T today would sell for $13,464.96.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
To put things into an Historical Perspective… If you compare the price of This One Vehicle selling at $78,000.00 versus The Original Chevrolet Model “T” Truck that had its public release announcement date on November 22nd, 1916 with a delivery date direct from the Flint Michigan Chevrolet Factory for early December, 1916 for the modest amount of $595.00 ... you could afford to purchase a Fleet of (131) Chevrolet Model “T” Pick Up Trucks for that much money! (Ostensibly… Unlike The Ford “Model T” Sedan… Chevrolet’s Model “T” stood for TRUCK).

The very idea that a Pick Up Truck could appreciate 131 Xs its Original Cost of Manufacture over 100 Years is completely absurd. I bought my First House back in 1976 for $25,800.00 and sold it 16 years later for $58,000.00 ...so even with that much money in hand, it would only pay off about 2/3rds of the cost for that One Truck. And THAT would be a Cash on The Barrel Head !!! NOT an APR Loan that would take (7) Years to Pay Off and in the end... would raise that cost astronomically for the average Truck Owner. This ...is the very definition of Insanity!

So much for Inflation... (Please... Nobody will EVER convince me that these vehicles actually cost more than a Fraction of their Designs, Materials and Assembly... No matter how wonderful their other Engineering Progress Updates have become. A $78,000.00 Price Tag..?. Really...? For a vehicle that is assembled and welded together primarily by Industrial Robots doing most of the Heavy and the Complex work? This is Work being done by Intelligent Machines that NEVER get Sick... or Take Time Off... Or Ever Die... and Most Importantly when addressing the inflated $78,000.00 Price Tag... They NEVER Take Any Pay Checks for the Work They Do!
\

As for the Human Involvement... These Latest, Greatest Truck Releases follow CAD Designs made at Work Stations by people who barely have to lift a finger to do any "Real Labor" to create these "New Trucks" from scratch. Has all of this “progress” made the average owners of Pick Up Trucks any happier than the owners were back in the days when they could actually work on their own vehicles after buying something useful and utilitarian? Sometimes… I wonder. Anybody who has THAT much money to pay for something that rolls around on wheels, rusts and rots away, wears down and wears out and is guaranteed to eventually break down sooner than later... should at least spend some of that Coin...Having their Heads Examined! LOL

SEE!!!! It's not rocket science!!!

Reactions: mrrsm

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
At one time, pickups used to be a cheap alternative to a car because they were working men's vehicles and were pretty bare bones. The big option used to be 4x4 and an automatic. Nowadays, trucks are better appointed than some of the most expensive luxury vehicles with the price to match.

In the future with the way inflation is going, my standards are quite low and I don't need the Tahoe RST. How about a stripper special that a trades guy like myself would be happy to own. Maybe a 4.3 Ecotec with a 6 speed auto, 4x4 with manual floor shift,black steel police wheels, pwr windows/locks and air conditioning. Forget 85 percent of the safety garbage and leave it off. Just more stuff to break. I'd drive it.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Because you've driven one or seen one to know? :blinkhuh:

Performance has nothing to do with interior. A nicely appointed interior is of course a good thing, but it isn't part of performance.

The drive and feel, yes, that's important. But you're comparing a CAR to a TRUCK. Sure, this Tahoe RST is not going to perform like a car, because it isn't one. So if you want a performance car, of course get something else. But if someone wants a performance SUV, none of your suggestions would fit the bill because they are not in that category, but the Tahoe RST might. I say might, because I'm never going to find out myself as I'm not in the target market either. I wouldn't be spending $78k on any vehicle (especially not a German car, screw that noise).

AzTruckGuy

Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
Because you've driven one or seen one to know? :blinkhuh:

Performance has nothing to do with interior. A nicely appointed interior is of course a good thing, but it isn't part of performance.

The drive and feel, yes, that's important. But you're comparing a CAR to a TRUCK. Sure, this Tahoe RST is not going to perform like a car, because it isn't one. So if you want a performance car, of course get something else. But if someone wants a performance SUV, none of your suggestions would fit the bill because they are not in that category, but the Tahoe RST might. I say might, because I'm never going to find out myself as I'm not in the target market either. I wouldn't be spending $78k on any vehicle (especially not a German car, screw that noise).

I think that why you fail to even know what $78k really feels like, unless you driven something that is worthy of $78k you will never know how everything fits in the picture...this TAHOE RST will lose resale faster than any German SUV out there..period. In the end its a over priced basic looking SUV

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I don't give a crap about resale value because I keep my vehicles. A vehicle is not an investment anyway. I actually like lower resale as I get it cheaper used that way :tongue:

And again, I'd never buy a German vehicle (or any European vehicle for that matter) as they're too expensive to start with, expensive to fix when things go wrong, and things go wrong way too often for how expensive they are. Their reliability is pretty much bottom barrel it seems. My boss has a BMW, and it has had numerous stupid things go wrong with it that shouldn't have, that have been very expensive to fix. He loves yet hates the car at the same time because of it.

You're obviously not the target market for the RST. I'm not even saying there is much of a market for this vehicle, even at a lower price point than it currently is. Maybe it'll flop, and it won't surprise me. Maybe it'll do well. Who knows. Seems a bit like the Dodge Journey SRT lol.

I fail to know what $78k feels like because I've never made anywhere close to that in my life, let alone drive something worth even close to half that. The most expensive vehicle I've had is my truck that when new was pushing $34k but I bought it for $14k, 8 years old.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I think that why you fail to even know what $78k really feels like, unless you driven something that is worthy of $78k you will never know how everything fits in the picture...this TAHOE RST will lose resale faster than any German SUV out there..period. In the end its a over priced basic looking SUV
Honestly why are you here? Have you driven or ridden in $78,000 vehicles for long periods? German SUVs that you see here are not even marketed in Europe. A lot of the same problems exist in them, you just don't hear about them as often, especially because a lot of them are taken back to the dealer.

Performance has nothing to do with the interior. You can have the best performance engine with a tuned suspension, but that does not mean the interior is going to be comfortable. Comfort does not yield performance.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Spent quite a bit of time in 75K pick-up truck both riding and driving. Plenty of time in 100K plus cars. Foreign and domestic. They all have ups and downs.

AzTruckGuy

Dec 1, 2015
scottsdale, az
Honestly why are you here? Have you driven or ridden in $78,000 vehicles for long periods? German SUVs that you see here are not even marketed in Europe. A lot of the same problems exist in them, you just don't hear about them as often, especially because a lot of them are taken back to the dealer.

Performance has nothing to do with the interior. You can have the best performance engine with a tuned suspension, but that does not mean the interior is going to be comfortable. Comfort does not yield performance.

I am someone who has spent time in higher end vehicles, I owned a 911 air cooled Porsche that was beyond any American crap out there. Post was for OPs if this vehicle is worth $78k Its not in my OP, for an Admin maybe you need to realize others have different views than you on whats great and wasn't

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If nothing else... regardless of how much these "Higher End" vehicles cost... The ridiculous amount of complexity and the intentional "component access difficulty" that is perpetually being increased and foisted upon the Average Mechanic as roadblocks to being able to actually work on and repair these same said vehicles is maddening. How much of a Moron does a CAD Engineer need to be NOT to design a Fuel Pump Control Module that can be PLACED INSIDE OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT? The attached Youtube Video is almost too painful to watch as one of my Favorite, Competent, Professional Mechanics struggles with diagnosing and repairing a GM Fuel Pump Control Module ... one manufactured as a simple circuit board... and one that is just BARELY sealed inside of what looks like a Black Plastic "sturdy" case... and yet when he finally accesses and removes this damned thing... it winds up with its Metal Plate Top Cover being compromised ...and so it got filled with Road Salt, Water and Stench! (No wonder the FP circuit was drawing 31 Amps and tripping the Test Tool Circuit Breaker!).

Of course, he could only accomplish this job by first placing the truck upon a hydraulic lift and then struggling to gain access to this component after having to partially remove the Spare Tire (another Failed Design) and then finding it bolted up under there with impossible small fasteners. The Final Insult here is that it is just so inconveniently placed... tucked well up under the bottom of the Truck Bed.... where ALL OF THE ROAD SALT CAN COLLECT ON TOP AND GRADUALLY DISSOLVE AWAY THE CHEAP METAL PLATE COVERING THE ELECTRONIC GUTS INSIDE WITH ONLY A THIN BEAD OF SILICONE FAILING IN THE END TO KEEP OUT THE ELEMENTS! So... Of COURSE it got filled with Water and Salt... and ordinarily this work would demand a Dealership Repair for the Average Truck Owner with no idea on how fix this problem. When the Tow Truck came... He probably just threw his wallet onto the Driver's Seat ....getting ready for the BOHICA!

This video provides a perfect example of a "Higher End" GM Truck which is supposed to have All of The Better Bells and Whistles and therefore ...worth paying more for... and yet, if you watch this nearly hour long repair video... you'll get a sense of what we are all having to deal with. Instead of vehicles that cost more being created with MORE convenience in mind for the people with the right amount of money who deserve more ease and comfort on the repair side... THIS nightmare is what they buy into, ... right along with the Custom Leather Seats and all the Fancy Gee-Gaws that are supposed to come along with The Deal. Do you believe that the Owner of THIS truck was thinking about ANY of those accouterments when facing three foot snow drifts in his yard ...and discovering that he could NOT start the Truck to go to work or take his kids to school? Jesus Palomino! The talent necessary to create a working Fuel Pump Circuit with BASIC components for ANY Gasoline Powered Vehicle can be drawn up on the back of a Happy Meal Napkin by a Grade School Kid!

Last edited:

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio

\

@MRRSM to put some of this into perspective, last hear I put the roof on a huge addition of the Silverado plant in Roanoke, Indiana. I got to talking to some higher ups who worked at the plant. It costs them between 5- 8000 dollars (depending on motor and interior setup) to build each truck. So yes, the amount of money we pay even BEFORE the 5 year loan is absolutely RIDICULOUS and absurd! It’s a shame

Reactions: Tiggerr

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Well there was an interesting middle part in this thread.... I have had very limited experience with the "good" stuff but the electrical system design alone made me turn off... not going into any further detail. As everyone else has said, for the price everything is it's ridiculous. At the end of the day I want the damn thing to ride and drive nice. If I want to go fast and feel the road I get in the vette. If I need to do anything substantial I hop in one of the trucks. Need to take a road trip? Wish we still had the 83 caddy. Thing was like riding down the road on your living room couch. And it had more leg room than the escalade I think. But that was a long time ago. Closest thing I can compare that to was the private jet I was on. Minus the bar and food. I mean a $#!t box bottom barrel compact is over 15k. Oh well. People will buy it. People buy anything if it makes them feel good about themselves and superior to others. Even if its an upscale volkswagon.

Reactions: 07TrailyLS

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
It costs them between 5- 8000 dollars (depending on motor and interior setup) to build each truck.

Wow...if that's 'all in', including labor / benefits cost...I knew the SUVs are the profit centers for automakers in general...but that's...astonshing. And those are 'today' dollars...when our 3x0s were built, I'm guessing that figure was probably $3500-$6500 or so. Maybe a little higher... our TBs, Envoys, etc. were poster children for GM's higher costs, before they did their BK in 2008-2009.

So... let's assume $8000 build cost for the Tahoe RST, with an MSRP of $78,000 or so (w/ the 'performance package', freight, etc.), as it basically costs the same as an Escalade. So we'll assume that it cost the full $8K to build that version (the 'base' RST is probably $7K to build...but we won't worry about that)

If we keep adding $8000, and increasing the profit margin (PM) 100% for each iteration... we reach $72,000 after 8 iterations. By my admittedly poor math, that is 800% (gross) profit. For those good at figuring profit margin, etc. - have at it. I'll admit that I suck at arithmetic, much less math.

The real PM is above 800%, of course...I rounded down to the nearest whole multiple. Even passing 12% or so the dealer's way (assuming a sale at MSRP, which seldom happens) - to quote Crazy Eddie...."That's InSAAAANE !"

Wow...just...wow.
With 1/2 ton pickups increasing in price the last several years...they probably have a similar PM.

@Sparky makes a good point concerning rate of depreciation, which is fairly quick concerning GM products (pickups being a notable exception.) And we've always known that the 1st owner takes the worst hit on that, unless they keep it 10yrs (-? maybe even longer.)

Reactions: 07TrailyLS

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That $8000 is not factoring in all costs, no way. That may be in parts/materials, but put labor, time, cost of tooling, machinery to build them, etc, and the price goes way up from there. Granted, the RST will have a lot more markup than a regular Tahoe. But they ain't making $70k profit off it.

Reactions: ddgm and Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.