2015 factory radio unlock

centralcitycomputers

Original poster
Feb 12, 2021
usa
my boss has a 2014 caprice ppv with a my link radio. in 2014 rear view camera wasn't an option, and he wanted it in his car. so i added all the factory trim, camera, etc, then replaced the radio with the silver box from a 2015 ss that has nav, rear view, etc. i now need to relearn the vin to turn off theft lock. i talked him into buying me a mdi2, telling him i could save him the 400 that whites auto and media was going to charge to do it. I have been 3 days now fighting this. can someone please give me a little help? i can install whatever i need i work on computers for a living, i just dont know what will actually do it. thanks in advance.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hey there fellow PPV owner! I have a 2011 so not the same generation and I think I'm the only one on here that does own one at all.

However, knowing what I know on programming modules, 2014+ would likely require you to get an ACDelco TDS subscription however, because you're programming a radio from one model and year to another, it will likely reject the VIN you're trying to program in, whether you use the PPV or SS VIN, in TDS. That's why you would need White Media to hack the silver box. He did it for mine to activate everything he could, including the backup camera.

Beyond that, maybe someone at the other forum I frequent can help.

Reactions: xavierny25

Starflare5

Nov 30, 2022
United States
You must have an MDI, and a Laptop capable of handling the new GM Tech connect software, and the VIN of the vehicle the radio came out of, or look up another VIN from a similar vehicle on Craigslist. Manually enter the the VIN of the updated vehicle in Tech Connect/SPS.... IT will warn you that he VIN you are entering is different from the VIN detected, Just click the Override button and go to program the radio only with all of the correct options for the vehicle it's being installed in. Once ready, start programming it. Now remember, the VIN entered does not matter when programming, because the radio collects the VIN from the BCM of the vehicle it's installed in.

I hope this helps,
Thank you,
Starflare5

Reactions: xavierny25

warriorpluto

Apr 12, 2012
You must have an MDI, and a Laptop capable of handling the new GM Tech connect software, and the VIN of the vehicle the radio came out of, or look up another VIN from a similar vehicle on Craigslist. Manually enter the the VIN of the updated vehicle in Tech Connect/SPS.... IT will warn you that he VIN you are entering is different from the VIN detected, Just click the Override button and go to program the radio only with all of the correct options for the vehicle it's being installed in. Once ready, start programming it. Now remember, the VIN entered does not matter when programming, because the radio collects the VIN from the BCM of the vehicle it's installed in.

I hope this helps,
Thank you,
Starflare5
Are we still able to do this or has gm blocked this also for the radios? I remember being able to reprogram used bcm on global A vehicles but now with the new techline connect I can't now. Seems they've blocked using used modules from the junkyard now.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What are you using as the passthrough? If it's a Tech 2, they've been dropped from Techline and no longer supported. You have to use an MDI.

warriorpluto

Apr 12, 2012
What are you using as the passthrough? If it's a Tech 2, they've been dropped from Techline and no longer supported. You have to use an MDI.
I'm using an vcx nano and it's always worked for anything I've thrown at it lol. Have you programmed anything lately with techline connect? Tomorrow I'm supposed to be unlocking an mylink 2 radio on an 2015 Malibu. I've never had a problem doing these but I've been gone from the scene for the past year or so. I'd hate to waste $50 on a subscription and can't program again like I used to.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not since I programmed my Caprice's BCM a couple of years ago with the Tech 2. I heard about the Tech 2 being screwed, haven't heard anything about the VCX Nano however not too many here have had any luck with it for anything.

Reactions: warriorpluto

Starflare5

Nov 30, 2022
United States
The firmware on the passthrough device must be updatable using Tech Connect or it will not work. Some passthroughs have multiple switchable interfaces such as the Bosch VCI, Snap-On Passthru Pro, and several others, but, the GM MDI is made specifically for GM vehicles and interfaces the best with Tech Connect.

Reactions: Mooseman

warriorpluto

Apr 12, 2012
Gm just wants to give everyone a hard time. I've done tons of programming with my vcx nano and never had a failed programming. Just seems like gm wants all the money by making people buy new modules. I was looking at buying a spare programmer. What about the mdi clones?

Starflare5

Nov 30, 2022
United States
Gm just wants to give everyone a hard time. I've done tons of programming with my vcx nano and never had a failed programming. Just seems like gm wants all the money by making people buy new modules. I was looking at buying a spare programmer. What about the mdi clones?
MDI clones work just fine, but make sure you find a quality one that has everything you need with it. If you can and have the money, buy 2 clones from different places. Use the more cheaply made one first until it breaks. The VCX Nano is no-longer used to program any vehicle any longer. The VCX devices can no longer be properly updated which is why they are no longer used.

warriorpluto

Apr 12, 2012
MDI clones work just fine, but make sure you find a quality one that has everything you need with it. If you can and have the money, buy 2 clones from different places. Use the more cheaply made one first until it breaks. The VCX Nano is no-longer used to program any vehicle any longer. The VCX devices can no longer be properly updated which is why they are no longer used.
Oh ok. I week try to get a quality clone then. I had been putting off that orchard for a while but now I need it lol thanks guys for the information

warriorpluto

Apr 12, 2012
Just to update I can still program used radios with the vcx. Still works great. Seems as though gm blocked used bcm programming from anything other than an mdi.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online