Envoy4Life

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
2014 Chevrolet Tahoe Caught Testing in Michigan
New Fullsize SUVs Will Get 8-Speed Transmission, Direct-Injection V-8's
Truck Trend
June 26, 2012
By: Edward A. Sanchez

Long the leader in the fullsize SUV segment, General Motors isn't letting any grass grow between its toes with its next generation of fullsize SUVs. These photos of a cladded 2014 Chevrolet Tahoe were snapped just outside GM's proving grounds. Interestingly, the badge on the grille underneath the mesh covering is a prominent oval, indicating GM may have been hoping to fake-out spy shooters into thinking it's a Ford. However, a Chevrolet bowtie can be seen on the wheelcaps under the tape and there were Toyota Sequoia and Ford Expedition comparison vehicles accompanying the prototype.

Since the addition of a six-speed automatic to the lineup in 2009, the GMT900-series SUVs have been near top-of-class in terms of fuel economy. Reports of an eight-speed automatic transmission and direct-injected fifth-generation small block V-8 power for the new Tahoe (known internally as K2UC) and the Yukon(K2UG) indicate GM intends to remain a class leader in this increasingly important area. Although the eight-speed is certainly in the cards at some point, availability constraints may have the big SUVs launching with six-speeds.

In what may also be a concession to efficiency, the test mule appears to retain the GMT 900's solid rear axle. Most fullsize SUVs, including the Expedition and Sequia, have independent rear suspensions, which are favored by some manufacturers for allowing greater flexibility in interior packaging. However, the marginal frictional losses inherent in CV joints of an IRS may have outweighed the potential benefits. In addition to less mechanical drag, solid rear axles are generally considered more robust for towing and hauling duties.

New all-aluminum small block V-8s equipped with direct injection are a given, likely in the same displacement as the current 5.3 and 6.2-liter fourth-generation Vortec engines with a possible 5.5-liter variant. GM may still have some surprises up its sleeves, however -- some reports have suggested a diesel option could be offered along with a hybrid model, though the GMT900 hybrids haven't set any sales records. Also unknown is whether GM will field a turbocharged V-6 option to counter Ford's popular EcoBoost powertrain, which may soon be offered in the Lincoln Navigator.

GM clearly has high hopes for the new Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, GMC Yukon/XL and Cadillac Escalade models, having invested a total of more than $500 million in its Arlington, Texas plant since 2009. GM is overhauling its entire fullsize truck and SUV lineup within the next 18 months and the new SUVs are expected to be second or third in line, behind the new Chevrolet Sliverado and GMC Sierra 1500, with the 2500 and 3500-series HD trucks and fullsize SUVs following.

Photos Available at Link

I wanted to post this into "Latest Industry News", but I couldn't. If needed, can a moderator please move it?

Regarding the truck, it looks like a refresh on the current Tahoe. I like what I'm seeing so far.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Now if it doesn't turn out like the 2013 Trailblazer, the 2014 Tahoe might be a good replacement vehicle. Three things I'm looking for in a SUV, rugged style (And the OR capable to go with it), Towing, MPGs.

Just incase those GM's Reps find themselves over here, that is what I want out of this ride.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Looks good but I bet the $$ tag is unbearable. That's what nice about midsize suv's. MORE affordable. Well at least it'll have a rear solid axle. Screw the rear independent shit. If I wanted that i'd buy a damn car....

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Porkins said:
Now if it doesn't turn out like the 2013 Trailblazer, the 2014 Tahoe might be a good replacement vehicle. Three things I'm looking for in a SUV, rugged style (And the OR capable to go with it), Towing, MPGs.

Just incase those GM's Reps find themselves over here, that is what I want out of this ride.

Lol really? If you want a truck or SUV mpg shouldn't be in question because it won't be good. Those tahoes and yukons are much worst then out cars in mpg also

jrSS said:
Looks good but I bet the $$ tag is unbearable. That's what nice about midsize suv's. MORE affordable. Well at least it'll have a rear solid axle. Screw the rear independent shit. If I wanted that i'd buy a damn car....

Yeah for a nice one loaded do cost a nice 50-60k but are damn nice when loaded too :yes:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Glad they are sticking with the solid rear. When I see a larger truck or SUV with IRS I just want to :duh: Its a truck, not a corner carving sports car.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Sparky said:
Glad they are sticking with the solid rear. When I see a larger truck or SUV with IRS I just want to :duh: Its a truck, not a corner carving sports car.

Like a.... FORD? I told my wife many times, my one goal in life is to somehow destroy Ford. I want to see that company wiped off the face of the earth. They are all an abomination and the junkiest, most horribly engineered piles of steaming festering donkey crap.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Lol really? If you want a truck or SUV mpg shouldn't be in question because it won't be good. Those tahoes and yukons are much worst then out cars in mpg also

Yeah for a nice one loaded do cost a nice 50-60k but are damn nice when loaded too :yes:

That is a misconception. My Tahoe gets the same mpg's that my TB did. Mine is a loaded LTZ, it was $49k out the door.:cool:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
McGMT said:
Like a.... FORD? I told my wife many times, my one goal in life is to somehow destroy Ford. I want to see that company wiped off the face of the earth. They are all an abomination and the junkiest, most horribly engineered piles of steaming festering donkey crap.

I have to disagree, they make some good cars. But putting IRS on the Expedition and turning the Explorer into yet another crossover was really stupid IMO.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
McGMT said:

my dad works for Ford and they actually have some good cars!! I mean not my choice to buy one but they are arent THAT bad vs a Chrysler car! Now there is where that donkey crap comes in play your talking about lol they are good to lease but NEVER buy!! Plus your saying they are horribly engineered...now to not offend anyone on here but cannot say my envoy a GM car is engineered good! I have a lot of downs I can say about the truck and some of the styles and fitting of it isn't that great to me!! Maybe that is me being picky i dont know but just sayin! dont get me wrong the envoy runs great and I do like my truck!! :yes:

Ghoster said:
That is a misconception. My Tahoe gets the same mpg's that my TB did. Mine is a loaded LTZ, it was $49k out the door.:cool:

Thats good!! I think our yukon gets about 12-13mpg but that is what the sticker says I dont drive it so I cannot really stamp that! I was close enough on the price loll :biggrin:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Looks like the new Tahoes will be Muslims:rotfl:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
So that'll be 7 years on the current generation Tahoe/Yukon then. I hope they change the god awful temperature control cluster in these things. Given I don't care for the 6 speed GM trans I'm thinking the 8 will be a challenge to like. Anybody know how many speeds the foreign trucks have? I'm thinking these changes are in line with the outrageous Obama MPG regs coming up in just over a decade. By that time they'll be in the 2nd or third year of the next generation.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Porkins said:
Hey, We all have have dreams right? I have some faith in GM
Well even the Hybrid Tahoe and Escalade's mileage are a joke.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Jkust said:

You can't reasonably expect good mileage in anything like that... 2 tons of tall wide vehicle... The wind is going to slow you down, and if you live anywhere near hill and mountains just completely give up because nothing is going to get good mileage there.

That's the problem these days, everyone is bitching about their truck not getting good mileage... What did you expect out of a full framed 2 ton truck???

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
McGMT said:
You can't reasonably expect good mileage in anything like that... 2 tons of tall wide vehicle... The wind is going to slow you down, and if you live anywhere near hill and mountains just completely give up because nothing is going to get good mileage there.

That's the problem these days, everyone is bitching about their truck not getting good mileage... What did you expect out of a full framed 2 ton truck???

Considering what it is and its size, what would you consider "good" mpg's?

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Ghoster said:
Considering what it is and its size, what would you consider "good" mpg's?

high teens low 20s in all reality....

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
McGMT said:

That's my point. Even an ultra expensive truck with an engine and a motor and all the accompanying technology can't deliver the mpg's but now they are up to an 8 speed if the speculation is correct. I wouldn't own two v8 360's if I cared about mileage. I will start listening to the hype of the drive trains when the 2 tons of tall wide vehicle can deliver 26 in the city without an electric motor and no diesel. It aint going to happen.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Jkust said:
That's my point. Even an ultra expensive truck with an engine and a motor and all the accompanying technology can't deliver the mpg's but now they are up to an 8 speed if the speculation is correct. I wouldn't own two v8 360's if I cared about mileage. I will start listening to the hype of the drive trains when the 2 tons of tall wide vehicle can deliver 26 in the city without an electric motor and no diesel. It aint going to happen.

The foreign manufactures have had 8 spd trans for a while now. They have been having problems though. People review that many gears as too many where the trans never seems to pick a gear and stay there, just constant confused shifting. Sounds like a bad idea to me, six is enough, if not even one too many IMHO.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Porkins said:
Hey, We all have have dreams right? I have some faith in GM

GM was working on a 100mpg hummer,
Hybrid Hummer Promises 100 Miles per Gallon | Autopia | Wired.com

Yeah that would be nice to get great MPG on trucks!! I like having a big car vs others. Now 100mpg does not seem like something ever or even in my lifetime lol

Jkust said:

:iagree: you pay like 10-15k more but only get a few extra mpgs lol

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Yeah that would be nice to get great MPG on trucks!! I like having a big car vs others. Now 100mpg does not seem like something ever or even in my lifetime lol

:iagree: you pay like 10-15k more but only get a few extra mpgs lol

Most of the hybrids take way too long to pay back in the current gas situation and the suv's seem to be amplified quite a bit. When I see one of the few hybrid Escalades or Tahoes, they always have huge letters that say Hybrid.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
As long as we have "suck-squeeze-bang-blow" we will be stuck with the mpg figures that we have now.With all of the advancements in automotive technology what have we gained other than comfort and reliability.
The cars of the early 50's had pretty good mileage and I believe some economy records that still stand today.Problem is that we just keep adding more stuff and more stuff is more weight.The two front seats in my Denali with all the associated motors,wiring,switches and logic boards probably weighs more than the whole interior of a 1950 Chevy......just sayin'...Mike.

ps but yes,I would take the Denali over the 1950 Chev.

Envoy4Life

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Just some FYI's guys:

Disregard the 5.5L V8 rumor that keeps going around regarding the next generation V8's. There will NOT be a 5.5L V8, yet the stupid journalists keep saying there will be one. Also, expect the next Tahoe to start at around $41,000 for an LS 2WD, and when you get to 4WD LTZ trim, expect to pay around $65,000 for a fully optioned one. Also, the powertrains and equipment on the new GMT-1000's are going to blow minds..

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
I think a 6 speed tranny would work well. My moms 08 yukon has the 4 speed and it isn't all that great to drive. There is a huge dead band in power if it shifts into second before 3000 rpm. It gets very similar Mpg to my I6 TB EXT. I think if GM wanted to help out with mpg and payload and all that and driving experience they really need to drop a few pounds on the next Generation Tahoes and Yukons. Our old 01 Excursion with the 6.8 V10 felt lighter to drive than the 08 yukon. The more the weight of the vehicle, the less the payload, the more fuel it takes to move and the less you can tow. As far as the IRS... every time i hear my buddys moms expedition go into gear, you hear the cv joints start creaking. NOT A GOOD SOUND!!!! Its a "truck" therefore you will have to live with a solid axle. Im interested to see what comes of the new generation, it can only get better or worse and most likely more expensive

silverunicorn

Dec 4, 2011
Am I the only one that thinks the front grille emblem and the emblems on the wheels in these photos look alot more like Ford ovals?

Check them out again........Not so sure this is a Tahoe they took photos of.

Chris

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
silverunicorn said:
Am I the only one that thinks the front grille emblem and the emblems on the wheels in these photos look alot more like Ford ovals?

Chris

Possibly more camo to throw us off.....sneaky bastards.

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
silverunicorn said:

Chris

thats what it looks like to me :thumbsup:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
silverunicorn said:

Chris

Ya know, I blew the pics up a while back and thought that even though they claim you can see chevy emblem outlines under the tape on the caps it sure as hell looks like an oval to me.. And the headlights look kinda "Fordish" but, since it does have a solid axle and the people behind the wheel aren't cross-eyed it can't be a Ford...

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
^^^ LMFAO! The wheels do look oval also.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
From the front doors back, it looks identical to the old Tahoe.. Now my problem I am having is that if they put that UGLY front end of the pick up trucks on there, which it looks like they have..

Irishboy02

Apr 1, 2012
The tail-light, tailgate, rear bumper and exhaust are definitely similar to the current tahoe style. Those ovals that are there though are throwing me off hard. The headlights look like a mix of the Ford Superduty's and the Escalade's projectors. Its a weird combo.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:

2013 Tahoe 1500 4x4 is rated 15 city, 21 highway. Is that really any worse than our GMT360s? And if they new 900s get the 8 speed auto, that should give them a small edge over us.

The price, however, will still suck.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
SBUBandit said:
2013 Tahoe 1500 4x4 is rated 15 city, 21 highway. Is that really any worse than our GMT360s? And if they new 900s get the 8 speed auto, that should give them a small edge over us.

The price, however, will still suck.

Same rating at my 2002, and I believe the later GMT360s got rated lower at 19 or 20 highway.

Rudeawakening

Jan 25, 2012
silverunicorn said:

Chris

I see what your saying but it looks like they slapped on the same front end as the silverados. With it being covered like that it kinda gives that illusion.

View attachment 22587

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 413

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
I see what your saying but it looks like they slapped on the same front end as the silverados. With it being covered like that it kinda gives that illusion.

View attachment 8976

I think the ovals are to make people think ford, not GM.

Thing is, that Onstar antenna kinda gives it away :biggrin: That and the SRA, Ford went to IRS a while ago (blech, IRS doesn't belong on a proper truck-based SUV).

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Sparky said:
I think the ovals are to make people think ford, not GM.

Thing is, that Onstar antenna kinda gives it away :biggrin: That and the SRA, Ford went to IRS a while ago (blech, IRS doesn't belong on a proper truck-based SUV).

What is SRA and IRS?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
TollKeeper said:
What is SRA and IRS?

Solid rear axle and independent rear suspension

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
Jkust said:
Next door neighbor had a hybrid Tahoe and he had nothing but trouble with it and it left him stranded a couple of times. Lasted 2 years and he got rid of it . Hybrids is just something else to break .Safe to say he did not buy another GM . Work on a single powerplant and strive for maximum mpg on that drivetrain. Never will buy any hybrid , if I have to I will buy a 4 cylinder car that will get 40 mpg but never a hybrid. Wish they had updated the gmt360 platform. Imagine the I6 with a 8 speed auto that would get upper 20's to 30 for mileage and could tow. I really can't complain my Ascender gets 22-24 mpg going 70 . Imagine what 4 more speeds would have done for this platform.

Sputnik312

Aug 9, 2012
vipergg said:
Next door neighbor had a hybrid Tahoe and he had nothing but trouble with it and it left him stranded a couple of times. Lasted 2 years and he got rid of it . Hybrids is just something else to break .Safe to say he did not buy another GM . Work on a single powerplant and strive for maximum mpg on that drivetrain. Never will buy any hybrid , if I have to I will buy a 4 cylinder car that will get 40 mpg but never a hybrid. Wish they had updated the gmt360 platform. Imagine the I6 with a 8 speed auto that would get upper 20's to 30 for mileage and could tow. I really can't complain my Ascender gets 22-24 mpg going 70 . Imagine what 4 more speeds would have done for this platform.

^ can't agree more.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
vipergg said:

With all due respect, just because GM is incompetent at creating a reliable hybrid does not mean other car makers are incompetent in producing reliable hybrids. For instance, I have numerous friends primarily with Toyota hybrids, that have zero problems with their hybrids.

If GM was at all creative, they would create a turbodiesel 4 or 6 with a high torque hybrid system and low gears (i.e. 4.56's) that would provide plenty of power and coupled with an 8 speed could get amazing mpgs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online