2008 Trailblazer LS Build

isaacmaple08

Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Fort Wayne,IN & Tyler,TX
I figured rather than just using/making new/existing threads for pictures i'd throw it all in One thread. Just bought my 2008 Trailblazer after Wrecking my 2004 Trailblazer in 2012. So far here's what's been done.

I bought the car to be a Daily Driver and replace having to drive my 2015 Charger SRT in the snow & Salt but coming from the Charger I wanted a similar amount of performance, but built my way. Being Essentially a Base Model LS (No Power Seats, Windows, Non-Dimming/Compass Rearview, No Foglights) with a V8 I want to swap it with a LS3/6l80e with the Suspension/Brakes to handle it while adding factory options Like Leather, Power Mirrors/Compass etc as cheaply as possible)

My concern with buying the Trailblazer SS stuff is that someone might thing i'm trying to Upbadge, but i'm definitely not. Just wanted some nicer seats/wheel/cluster. I'm not going and Buying any SS Emblems to put on the car.

So Far here's all i've done since I bought it on 9/16

Added DIC/SWC Steering Wheel from 2008 Trailblazer SS
Added Speedo/Tach Cluster from 2008 Trailblazer SS
Added Leather/Suede Seats from 2008 Trailblazer SS
Added LS1 EFan Conversion Kit from PCMofNC
Added 4" CAI from PCM of NC
Added 160 Thermostat from PCMofNC
Added HPTuners Tuner kit + Custom Tune from PCMofNC
Added new Headlight Kit + Sylvania Silverstar's

Changed Oil/Plugs/Belts

-------------------

Future Upgrades (1 Month Out)

*Adding Long Tube Headers & Cat-Delete

*Adding Belltech 795SP Full Suspension System (should lower front by 2" and rear by 3")

*Changing front Wheel Hubs to S-10 Wheel Hubs to convert to 5x120mm spacing up front

*Replacing Rear Axle Shafts with a set from Moser To convert Rear Axle Shafts.

* Possibly Replacing Rear diff with a stronger unit to withstand the power when swapping engine.

* Adding 19x9" Rohana RF2 Forged Wheels & Tires. (Based on my reading the stock 17" Wheel/Tire should be about 61Lbs/Ea. According to a few vendors the RF2+ General G-Max tires should be about 50-51lbs. Hoping to shave 10lbs at each corner.

Further Out (3-6 Months)

* Adding Dual-flow Cat-back from SLP

* LS3/6L80E Swap

* Front Baer Big Brake kit

Stock Pictures
wiRyZZu.jpg

yJsnk0m.jpg

New Android Headunit
dAbTba0.jpg

CAI & Efans Installed
aLUYaKQ.jpg

New SS Tach
ddmMmdH.jpg

VsPDuRI.jpg

New Headlights
2S4jV1d.jpg

Last edited:

isaacmaple08

Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Fort Wayne,IN & Tyler,TX
A few updates, 160 T-stat installed, gatorback Belts Installed & new Headlights installed (Highs unable to be installed since the cheap Chinese housing didn't leave enough room to insert the connector+lamp into the drivers side. So I left the Cheap high lamps in it instead of the Silverstars.)

Leather seats powered and installed.

However I am running issues into the DIC. Specifically the clockspring. After changing to the new clockspring & Harness I now have a check airbag code & none of the DIC Buttons work.

5OdqnLm.jpg

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Sounds like something wrong with the clockspring.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I would open things back up and check continuity within the clockspring.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I would open things back up and check continuity within the clockspring.

:iagree: If the ribbon cable got pulled off the internal connector, if you're handy with a soldering iron, you could repair it yourself. :yes:

Reactions: djthumper

isaacmaple08

Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Fort Wayne,IN & Tyler,TX
So I thought i'd take these 6 back to back videos of the 0-60 pre tune and post tune but it turned out that the cam recording app I used has like a 1-1.5s delay on startup and one of the pre tune videos disappeared. Overall it appears to have lowered my 0-60 by 1.5-2s. This is in conjunction with CAI, T-stat and E-fans. I'm supposed to be getting a new tune later this week to take advantage of the long tubes w/o cats i'm putting on Thursday. I'll try and put the videos together and upload them in a bit.

Last edited:

isaacmaple08

Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Fort Wayne,IN & Tyler,TX
Added a few more things...
JJsDqt9.jpg

New Construction options

TIpPQom.jpg

Well this whole last week has sucked. Been trying to get the headers installed but either I got a pair that were messed up by the factory or the 5.3L's aren't actually supported.

Basically the headers are too close to the driveshaft (could be banged out to create a bit of clearance) but the major problem is the o2 sensor. It's facing the driveshaft. I'm not sure if there is any difference but the TBSD install pics clearly show it facing about 60° lower than the Driveshaft...anyways so
Pacesetter is sending another driverside header with hopefully more clearance and a relocated o2 bung.

VtO5F2Q.jpg

OhLQi1b.jpg

DKWi5nh.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

isaacmaple08

Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Fort Wayne,IN & Tyler,TX
Rant ahead...

Well i'd have liked to have been done with this already and moved on to the suspension or fixed the Clockspring but nope. Looks like I should have trusted the reviews that Pacesetter is crap.

I reached out to Pacesetter Friday October 7th, Showed them the pictures I posted here. The main 2 issues being one of the runners is coming into direct contact with the driveshaft and the o2 bung being pointed directly in the way of the driveshaft.

Pacesetter says OK, Monday we will ship you out a new header since the issue with clearance is likely a manufacturing defect and that the O2 Bung may be an issue for Non SS vehicles and that they will seal & weld the old o2 bung and relocate it 90 degrees clockwise (pointing at 4 o'clock) Perfect.

I was told it'd ship out Monday and Arrive by Thursday at the Latest. Unfortunately It shipped out Tuesday So I didn't receive it Until Monday. However When I got it yesterday what should I find? The EXACT same header. Not welded and rotated 90 degrees I'm not even sure there's any extra space on the collector. When I called Pacesetter the Same rep informed me that this was an updated design so they figured it would work.....Do the attached pictures even look different from the ones in the previous post? Why didn't they even check against those pics?

Since this was in my mind their second screw up I just took it to a local Exhaust shop to seal it and rotate the bung to the point I marked. Another $30 that Pacesetter won't cover i'm sure.

Tomorrow we'll see if it will clear the driveshaft. At this point if it doesn't I might just beat the holy hell out of the header so it clears it...idk.

If anyone is interested I have the call recordings if anyone would like to hear and verify my story or cares. I didn't know if that would be against the board ToS.

l6xW4ht.jpg

coNWhow.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I believe it. I've heard on other forums (Camaros, in particular) that their headers are hit-n-miss fitment often times. My 99 Camaro has Pacesetters on it and their setup right at the head could have been done a little differently because they sit almost on top of the spark plug which makes it more difficult to get #4 and #6 out than it really should be.

It just looks like they did all their testing on a 2WD GMT360, because it would fit with room to spare without that front shaft there.

isaacmaple08

Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Fort Wayne,IN & Tyler,TX
Had the header installed finally, still had a bit of an issue with spark plug wire clearance on Cylinder 2. I figured I could get away with running the Stock wires for a few weeks but almost immediately began to get a Misfire Cylinder 2 Code. Added new PCMofNC Wires and Socks and all looks well after about 200 Miles. Sent in a Datalog this weekend so we'll see if that changes the feel of it. So Far I love how much better it pulls as well as the sound. There is a slight Exhaust Leak, but it's likely due to the cheap clamps that were sent with the headers/Y-Pipe so i'll pick up a band clamp later this week probably to see if that fixes it.

I've purchased the Suspension upgrades but i'm not sure how much more i'll be able to do (like the engine swap and other things I wanted to Do) since Work is talking about scaling budgets back or something. Since i'm just a dirty IT Contractor that means i'll likely be one of the first to get let go. Oi vey....

New Bung Welded
OGuwNK3.jpg

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online