2008 TB minimum rim size

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Looking for some help here... I have a 2008 Trailblazer LS (Base model) and want to get a set of rims for winter tires... well looking on tirerack they only list 17+ wheels for this model... I know the 2002-2006 can fit 16" rims.. but can the 2007+ also fit 16"? (my spare is a 16")? why is it that they only list 17"+?

can anyone confirm that 16" wheels from 2002-2006 will fit on 2007+ models?

thanks

eXplicit

May 20, 2013
All model years for the TB 2002 - 2009 have the same bolt pattern: 6 lug 5 inch or 127 mm High Positive Offset

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
eXplicit said:
All model years for the TB 2002 - 2009 have the same bolt pattern: 6 lug 5 inch or 127 mm High Positive Offset

just wondering because the 2007+ uses a different caliper then the 2002-5 years.. and none of the websites I look at offer a 16" rim that fits the 2007+

i know the bolt patters are the same

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
If your spare is a 16" then the other 16" wheels should fit. If you are concerned look at your stock 17"wheel and see how much clearance you have between the caliper and inner part of the wheel. I know when I looked at my buddies Rainier it was about 3/4" clearance with the 17's.

tbyoda

Apr 19, 2013
coolasice said:
just wondering because the 2007+ uses a different caliper then the 2002-5 years.. and none of the websites I look at offer a 16" rim that fits the 2007+
i know the bolt patters are the same
If you want rims for snow tire look on Craigslist or on www.car-parts.com and get used rims. Also only the 5.3L and 6.0L SS have larger rotors and pads calipers are the same. Guys over at www.offroadtb.com do the brake mod often when running lager tires, that is swap out the larger rotor bracket, rotor and pads.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Halfway down states 16" rims don't fit 2005 and newer. Well there are members who squeezed a 15 and 16" rims on 2006 and newer. Have to mount it and see what you're looking at... Also, get an identical sized spare for winter. You don't need to have a goofy sized wheel in 4wd if ever needed. :twocents:

Custom Wheels for GM Trucks

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Rs8892 said:
If you want rims for snow tire look on Craigslist or on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and get used rims. Also only the 5.3L and 6.0L SS have larger rotors and pads calipers are the same. Guys over at Offroadtb.com do the brake mod often when running lager tires, that is swap out the larger rotor bracket, rotor and pads.

only 17" rims I can find are over 170mi away... and I am not paying the $85-125 price tag at the local wreckers....i can get 17" steels for 82 each online....the 2005 uses a 305mm rotor while the 2006+ uses a 302mm rotor... and they have different calipers.

tbyoda

Apr 19, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
Also, get an identical sized spare for winter. You don't need to have a goofy sized wheel in 4wd if ever needed. :twocents:
You should be ok if you match the diameter of the tire. 245/70r17 is the same as 245/75r16. I would use the same brand tire.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
:yes: and 16" tires are cheaper too. But there's fewer to choose from and you have to be careful with brands if you want to match treads. Quick look at tirerack and they only have one Firestone (a lot comments on Firestones in last few weeks) tire that matches 16 and 17" wheels. Something to consider. Saves on the homework and potential headaches?

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Playsinsnow said:
:yes: and 16" tires are cheaper too. But there's fewer to choose from and you have to be careful with brands if you want to match treads. Quick look at tirerack and they only have one Firestone (a lot comments on Firestones in last few weeks) tire that matches 16 and 17" wheels. Something to consider. Saves on the homework and potential headaches?

I found a line on some 2005 16" rims with snows mounted! same size as my spare, going to see if I can stick one on the front and check fitment.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
coolasice said:
(my spare is a 16")

Wow. Sorry, I missed that somehow. I just toyed with my spare, 17". Why they went to 16"s is beyond me...? LS vs LT?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Playsinsnow said:
Wow. Sorry, I missed that somehow. I just toyed with my spare, 17". Why they went to 16"s is beyond me...? LS vs LT?

Figure they made what about about 75k Trailblazers in 08, EXT stopped in 06 and lets say they made what about 4100 SS's which leaves about 70k regular trailblazers to sell. Lets say 40k of them came with the standard 16" spare. Now lets say the steel 16" and tire combo costs about $25 less than say a 17" version. Thats alot of savings, $1,000,000 just for 08. Not sure what other years used the 16" spare as well but put that against production numbers and it could be a huge cost savings to GM. That doesnt include other vehicles that could use the same 16" spare.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
blazinlow89 said:
Figure they made what about about 75k Trailblazers on 08, EXT stopped in 06 and lets say they made what about 4100 SS's which leaves about 70k regular trailblazers to sell. Lets say 40k of them came with the standard 16" spare. Now lets say the steel 16" and tire combo costs about $25 less than say a 17" version. Thats alot of savings, $1,000,000 just for 08. Not sure what other years used the 16" spare as well but put that against production numbers and it could be a huge cost savings to GM. That doesnt include other vehicles that could use the same 16" spare.

Right. Remember they stop putting in the little flap in the fuel filler to save 50 cents per vehicle.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
Right. Remember they stop putting in the little flap in the fuel filler to save 50 cents per vehicle.

When I was typing this I was thinking of this story.

American Airlines saved $40,000 a year by taking out ONE olive from each salad they served. - OMG Facts

I bet the savings would be insane over the production life of the vehicle. Same goes with the donuts in passenger cars (weight savings to for better MPG), hell I have heard stories of newer cars coming with fix a flat. While I'm sure it does very little to decrease the price to the consumer, over the long run the extra profits can be insane. Think about all the other little short cuts and minor things that could be cut out or swapped to save money.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I thought of the same story. Crazy. Offtopic...I wonder how much UPS has saved eliminating as many left hand turns as they have. I made small talk with a driver and his route was computerized.

mikeinDE

Jan 4, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
When I was typing this I was thinking of this story.

American Airlines saved $40,000 a year by taking out ONE olive from each salad they served. - OMG Facts

I bet the savings would be insane over the production life of the vehicle. Same goes with the donuts in passenger cars (weight savings to for better MPG), hell I have heard stories of newer cars coming with fix a flat. While I'm sure it does very little to decrease the price to the consumer, over the long run the extra profits can be insane. Think about all the other little short cuts and minor things that could be cut out or swapped to save money.

That just reminded me, I was looking at a local dealership's website the other day. browsing their new inventory, and one of the cars I was checking out, listed on the sticker: "tire repair kit" (instead of spare tire) :undecided:

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
BMW and others have eliminated a spare for a few years now. Buy run flat tires and a can of fix-a-flat in the back. Saves weight and $$.

coolasice

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Playsinsnow said:
BMW and others have eliminated a spare for a few years now. Buy run flat tires and a can of fix-a-flat in the back. Saves weight and $$.

yup, mini cooper s Haas no spare

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online