NEED HELP 2008 Tahoe 5.3L cooling fans stay on

kazootom

Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe 5.3 liter flex fuel with auto climate control.
I have noticed that the last week or so hearing the cooling fans run more often.
Here is a for instance: Yesterday driving highway speeds (70ish). Out side temperature 17 degrees. Engine water temperature 210 degrees. Exit high way pull into gas station refill with engine running. Fans were on and stayed on the entire time. ( Approx. 10 minutes.) Should have they not cycled on and off as needed? When starting cold fans don't run.

Please help. This truck will be taking a 3000 mile trip soon and want to make sure we are good to go!
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Defroster on? I don't think it's a problem.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Edited title for better responses and removed eBay ad links.

It wouldn't be the defroster activating A/C as it was below freezing.

I've noticed on the same Tahoe at work that it would have the fans going at low speed if idling even if the A/C wasn't on, which I guess would be to maintain engine temps.

Reactions: djthumper

Blackwater

Aug 14, 2015
Lawton, OK
I think you are good for the trip. Normally if there is now airflow the fans would be on the low speed to keep the engine at a more constant temp. during the summer you may have them on high. on a manual clutching type they tend to spin constantly to keep air flow. Electric fans serve many advantages, faster warm up, faster cooling, and more horsepower and torque because the engine is not turning a fan. No worries.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online