2008 GMC Acadia cold shifting issue

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
I'm recently having an issue with my 2008 GMC Acadia. It has 180,000 miles on it. It shifts great when its warm out. When it gets below 40 degrees It seems like it wont shift out of 1st gear...maybe 2nd im not sure. Going 45mph its at about 4k rpm. Once it warms up it starts shifting fine again. Is only when its cold. It popped a code p0700, and p0752. Some of the possibilities are low fluid, dirty fluid, or bad shift solenoids. Im hoping....its just dirty fluid since it seems to only do it when cold. Has anyone had this problem? What amount of fluid will come out if I take out the drain plug and just refill? Should I use plain old dexron 6, or fully synthetic? Someone give me words of encouragement...lol

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Change the fluid and the filter, check the shift solenoids with an ohmeter, look for chafed or bad wiring while you're in there. Use Dex VI.
If I remember correctly, mine (04 TB) took 5 or 6 quarts.
Also, check the pan for excess debris. Some on the magnet is normal.

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
You might also check to make the intake air temperature sensor is working correctly. If the PCM (or ECU) sees incorrect air temps, it can affect the shift points.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
Fluid change is easy AF on the six speed, but the recommended interval is bull****. No filter to swap, just an internal screen so the fluid gets dirty very quickly. Drain the fluid and give a look. If you're lucky it won't have metal fragments or smell of burnt clutch material. Measure the volume out, replace with same. Probably 5 quarts. Maybe a shade more or less. Drive it a bit and see if it improves. If so, repeat the procedure and you should have the fluid in good shape again. This is the best case scenario I can think of, so good luck!

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
I bought 5 quarts of dex VI. It was very simple. Didnt even have to jack up the car. I could reach the drain plug easily. Drained it. The fluid was very brown. You could see the reddish pink tint to it, but it was very dark. I poured it out over a surface looking for any metal and didnt see anything. I put the same amount back in. Drove it and it seemed to possibly shift a lil smoother...might have been in my head...but I'll try it in the cold weather and see if it shifts now. I'll prolly change it again in a couple weeks to get some more old out and new in.

deerslayer1985

Original poster
Feb 26, 2015
Well, the car has been shifting great. Up until last week. I never got around to changing the fluid a 2nd time yet. It popped the same code as before and didnt shift a couple times. I noticed it did it both times when it was cold and raining. I guess try changing the fluid a 2nd and 3rd time? It shifted fine in cold weather up until the last week. How tough is it to change a shift solenoid in an 08 acadia if it continues to do it after a fluid change.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online

No members online now.