NEED HELP 2008 Envoy SLE - Oil Life Monitor PID

Feritas

Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
I own a 2008 Envoy SLE, so I do not have a DIC. I have an OBDLink MX adapter and a copy of Torque Pro, and I am willing to trust the Oil Life Monitor data that should be available through OBD, but the only PID configuration I can find doesn't seem to work with my ECU:

OBD Mode and PID: 22119F
Long Name: Remaining Oil Life
Short Name: OLM
Min Value: 0
Max Value: 100
Scale Factor 1x
Unit Type: %
Equation: A/2.55
OBD Header: (Blank)
Start Diagnostic Command: (Blank)
Stop Diagnostic Command: (Blank)

The above configuration does not return data.

I've tried variations on the above configuration, including using 7E2 and 7E0 as the header, adding 01 to the start and end diagnostic commands, with no luck. If I can get the command to return data, it either returns 66.6666 or 0.

I have also looked up the PIDs on the ScanGauge website and used some instructions I found to convert the ScanGauge PID commands to the PID configuration fields offered by Torque. I ended up with the same PID configuration as above. The ScanGauge website also suggests trying 22119F01 instead of just 22119F for the PID, but Torque won't accept the extra characters. The OBDLink Android app includes the extra 01 in it's built in GM OLM PID configuration, but that doesn't work either.

Is there a working PID I can use to get the OLM information out of my Envoy?

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-17_3-7-11.png
    upload_2015-11-17_3-7-11.png
    9 KB · Views: 6

Feritas

Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
Since I've asked for help, I figure I'll share what I've found. I tow with my Envoy, so I've found the following PIDs useful.

The current gear PID may already be included in the Torque extended GM PID list, but I seem to recall finding this somewhere on the web or figuring it out.
--------------------------------------
OBD Mode and PID: 22199A
Long Name: Commanded Gear
Short Name: Gear
Min Value: 0 (Shows 3 when in Park)
Max Value: 4
Scale Factor 1x
Unit Type: (Blank)
Equation: A

I found this one on a Corvette forum. Seems to work for my Envoy as well. The slip appears to be in RPM (instead of percent), but reads 0 when the TCC locks. Good for keeping tranny temps down.
--------------------------------------
OBD Mode and PID: 221991
Long Name: TCC Slip
Short Name: TCC Slip
Max Value: 10000
Scale Factor 1x
Unit Type: RPM
Equation: ((signed(A)*256)+B)/8

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
This is the one I use

pid hex:22119f
long name:Oil Life Monitor
short name:OLM
minimum value:0.0
maximum value:100.0
scale factor: x1
unit type:%
equation:A/2.55
OBD header:Auto

This is what you had. Maybe the header and scale factor is what's causing the issue?

OBDMode and PID: 22119F
Long Name: Remaining Oil Life
Short Name: OLM
Max Value: 100
Scale Factor 1x
Unit Type: %
Equation: A/2.55

Edit: Have you ever noticed the change oil light coming on?

Feritas

Original poster
Jul 11, 2014
Sorry, I have x1 for my Scale Factor as well. As for the header, I think I've tried Auto, but I will try it again.

As for the oil change light, the only time I've seen it come on is when I turn the key to On. It turns on with all the other instrument cluster lights, then off. I have never seen it light on its own to indicate an oil change is necessary.

However, there have been several instances where I have either had the battery disconnected, or I have reset the OLM myself while trying to figure out the OLM PID command.

I have read that post MAF I6 4.2Ls may not use the same PID addresses as pre-MAF I6s. I've also read that around the 06' year the GMT360s were switched from PWM (or VPW?) to CAN, so perhaps that is a factor too.

Littleblazer, if you go into Torque and hit the Test button, what response does it give you? Does it show a flat percentage like 55, or does it show multiple decimal points, like 55.836587? While trying a bunch of different addresses (22119A, 22119B, 22119C, etc) I was able to get a response that looked like it might be appropriate, but it would be helpful to know what kind of output you normally get so I know what to look for.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
When I have the actual display up it is only .1 I don't recall how far it goes. The one that does generate a response, maybe save that one and reset it to see if it goes back to 100?

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
For what it's worth I just tried the PID setup littleblazer posted and worked right away on my '06 and matched what my DIC shows. An 08 may very well use different headers/addressing since they switched over to separate ECMs/TCMs instead of one PCM around that time.

The decimal thing is just a byproduct of Torque having to divide the data the PCM provides by 2.55--it will never be a whole number (except for 0 or 255 of course). Torque just rounds it to put on the display.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
That code works on other gm vehicles I've tried it on. The newest being a 2007 sierra. I don't know if they would have changed it.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It's possible they changed it. Or its been turned off because it's a fleet vehicle. I read about them being turned off a while back... I'd lean more toward them changing the pid.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I think gm changed the whole enchilada in 08. Didn't they go to a different system all together? Something in the format itself is the way I think of it. IE: software language or something

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
They switched to a CAN databus (much faster than VPW) when they separated the ECM and TCM into two modules. The actual messages and electrical signals on the databus are formatted differently but I would have thought Torque handled that internally since most other stuff works seamlessly, even on the later models. Without an 08 to poke around on I can only guess. Have you tried the Torque forums? http://torque-bhp.com/forums/

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Going back to your first post, did you have reason to believe the 66.666... (170/255) number isn't valid? If you can get back to those settings and monitor for changes you should see that number drop as you drive. Assuming you've driven some since then, it would be particularly encouraging if it's a little lower now. Even if you've reset it recently the data is reported at 1/256 increments (about .4%) so it shouldn't take much driving to see something less than 100.

Also, disconnecting the battery does not reset the OLM. The only thing that does is the manual reset with accelerator or through the settings in a DIC cluster.:thumbsup:

Reactions: littleblazer

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
I bought my Envoy used at 38k miles and strictly followed the OLM for oil changes. I was somewhat concerned about the fact that on average the OLM didn't alert me an oil change was necessary until around 10k+ miles. At 70k miles, my engine blew a rod bearing. Fortunately, I was still in my last month of factory warranty and had the engine replaced by GM. I now just change the oil (synthetic) every 6k miles. While I don't know with any certainty if the long duration between oil changes called out for by the OLM was related to the engine failure, a couple "early" oil changes now buys me a whole lot of peace of mind. I just don't see how a sensor can really do the type of analysis necessary to determine how well your existing oil is lubricating the engine.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
The one littleblazer posted does not work in my '05 5.3. Haven't tried it in the '04 Impala I have. The only way to tell on the Impala now is to use my Tech II clone or wait until the light comes on. I thought I was getting close in the car, but I'm still at 69%. My truck has a DIC, so I can read it off the dash, but I was hoping the Torque PID would work.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
05 was the switch to can bus iirc for the 5.3...
The one littleblazer posted does not work in my '05 5.3. Haven't tried it in the '04 Impala I have. The only way to tell on the Impala now is to use my Tech II clone or wait until the light comes on. I thought I was getting close in the car, but I'm still at 69%. My truck has a DIC, so I can read it off the dash, but I was hoping the Torque PID would work.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
05 was the switch to can bus iirc for the 5.3...

It is indeed, as the Tech II clone needs the CANdi module to work. Here's hoping the PID will work in the car then.

Reactions: littleblazer

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online