2007 Tahoe, questions, concerns?

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Hi all, just wondering what if anything I should be overly concerned about with this type of vehicle? I am looking to trade into one of these, but the one I am looking at has 180k on the clock. It doesn't bother me that much, as my current vehicle has 165k on the clock (dodge avenger), but if/when I go to take a look at this thing, I'm wondering if there is something specific to keep an eye on.

It has the 5.3 v8, and I believe it has cylinder deactivation as well. Appears to be a 1 owner vehicle who did just basic maintenance on it but drove a lot. I don't mind working on the fluid changes myself (practicing on the 'voy currently) or pretty much any other maintenance, because I feel its got to be 100 times easier than the avenger. My plan would probably be to toss another 100k miles on this thing over the next 5 years or so, with 90% of that being highway stuff.

Just trying to figure out what to look out for and get informed before I take a look. I figure I could probably hook my torque app up to it and check for impending codes, but I'm more interesting in how it should sound, shift, react, etc. I've never owned or spent anytime driving a v8 vehicle.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
The early years of this platform, 2007 being the first year, did have some issues. The one that comes to mind first is the cracking dash. GM replaced most of those, but look closely for cracks. A lot of people complained about the DOD (displacement on demand) or cylinder deactivation. I really think its a bit hit and miss with these. I am on my third GM with this drivetrain and I have never had an issue. However I have not had one with miles anywhere near that high. I will keep thinking on this, in the mean time I am sure some of the other 900 owners will chime in.

Reactions: Fishhunter911

Fishhunter911

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
I bought my 07 Yukon with 87K on it. I am now at 124K. Few things you need to be aware of.

1. The rear differential in my truck exploded. Literally! The bolt holding the carrier pin in backed out. Make sure to have that checked if you buy.
2 The body control module went out shortly after I bought it.
3. The heated seats and power seats are inoperable right now. Still researching this one.
4. Both CATS went bad at 89K, covered by GM.
5 Make sure you change ALL fluids in it and by all I mean ALL, including the brake fluid...you will thank me in the end.
6. Check the brake and fuel lines under the vehicle where they run next to the frame for corrosion. If it has lived in a high road salt region, they will rust out eventually. Mine are corroded but still have some life in them. I will be changing them out.

Other than those my truck has been rock solid and still runs like a top.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
The most common thing we're seeing on high mileaged 900s is rear diff noise. 3 out of the last 4 we had needed carrier bearings. The last one we did was bought with feathered tires that masked the bearing noise. Once the tires were replaced, you could hear the diff singing. Between the overpriced tires and the overpriced overhaul, they were in it for close to $1500.

Reactions: Ghoster

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
MAY03LT said:
The most common thing we're seeing on high mileaged 900s is rear diff noise. 3 out of the last 4 we had needed carrier bearings. The last one we did was bought with feathered tires that masked the bearing noise. Once the tires were replaced, you could hear the diff singing. Between the overpriced tires and the overpriced overhaul, they were in it for close to $1500.
So maybe if Joe hadn't had his music so loud he would have noticed his diff singing BEFORE it completely exploded?? :cool:

Anything I can do to prevent this kind of problem or is it inevitable?

Fishhunter911

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
No singing to be heard. Just a freak thing.

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Thanks all for the guidance. The ship sailed on the one I was describing, as it was sold. So the hunt is back on. Still looking for the same type of truck though. :smile:

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Ok so bringing this back up, hopefully will get some notice prior to tomorrow. :smile: Anyways, '07 tahoe ltz, recently turned in vehicle 171k on it. From what I can make of it, looks great and has every option on it, including the g80 locker which is probably standard, I am not sure though. Recently repaired items by the dealership after turn in were a couple seat/seat belt related items, one of the heated seats was repaired to fix that issue (shorted out shutting down the system), and the two main items were the air suspension air compressor which was replaced, and a right rear axle seal that was leaking was replaced.

I have yet to drive or see it in person. That happens tomorrow. The purchase will or will not happen tomorrow as well as its about a 2hr drive from me. From what I was told it was mostly highway miles, but aren't they all? LOL Anyways, I am pretty jazzed about possibly getting this as its essentially the exact vehicle I wanted. But I am also nervous.

Anyone have any good experience with extended warranties? I asked them and they said they sold ones from this company called alpha (a la car warranty), but it was only powertrain and drive axles. I was considering it, but after reading reviews it seems like a waste of money. Thought I'd ask here anyways though, as you guys have all the knowledge. :smile:

Also anything I should look for specifically related to the 4wd? I will make sure it works, though just for a moment, but other than engaging a rolling a few feet, is there something to specifically listen or "feel" for?

{tpc}

Original poster
Jan 22, 2014
Ok well as the story goes, in my last post I went and looked at this vehicle. At first look I was fairly happy with how it ran and sounded, but for some reason I felt nervous about the whole deal so I didn't go through with it. Spent that last week or so looking at other similar trucks, some with lower mileage and some with higher mileage, 4 other trucks actually. Drove 2 of them, listened to the third one run, and the 4th I didn't bother with (priced too high). Didn't like any of them as much as the first.

Still I had a bunch of concerns about the first one, mostly little cosmetic things, but also some larger things like all the fluids, and wheel alignment. So I figured what the heck I'll see if it is still around and what they will do for me. It is, and with a little coaxing they are willing to fix most of the issues it had, as well as check the alignment, and replace all the fluids.

So I think I am going to get this one soon, just another drive out to where it is and another walk around with it. Driving the other 2 and looking underneath was probably the most helpful. The one I like was clean underneath, not clean like it was professionally cleaned, just not full of oils and mess. One of the others was kinda clean, but didn't drive well. I specifically drove one with less miles that was a mess for comparison, and I was not impressed.

Hopefully I am making the right decision. Time will tell I guess.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online