Abandoned, 2007 Envoy 4.2 Turbo Build

Traz

Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Michigan
Not to mention every day I see new stuff especially about appearances and start trying to add that in too XD it never ends

Reactions: Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I lost his email a long time ago sadly, but @limequat can answer a lot of questions because he worked very closely with Mike on his Turbo Voy as well with other guys who boosted 4200's.
Finalizing my list of parts before I start ordering little by little. Pretty much done for the engine, which is the main focus right now. Everyday I look over the P/N's again on my list and see if I can get a better deal and to just OCD organize things. I pretty much have everything for as low priced as I can find, that being said only from reputable companies for rebuilds whom I've mentioned before and of course Genuine GM parts. Did a ton of looking into a really really promising scavenge pumps. Found some good info on an LS1 forum. Sad thing is none ever seem to last more than a year or so. So I guess i'll replace that every year as preventative maintenance perhaps? I'll be using some sort of warning system too if the pump should ever fail. I was also thinking of doing a self-contained system for the Turbo so it has it's own separate oil supply sump tank, rather than the engine's, but that is going to turn out to be complicated. Even ran it by my bud who was considering doing the same for his in the future. It's just easier to tap oil lines and use an in-line filter. Since we're doing this deal at the same time I can share my parts and finding with you via PM, i'll also give you my number too.

Last edited:
Reactions: limequat

Traz

Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Michigan
Sure thing. I've been redoing my list every other day lol. Checking measurements. And constantly bugging my friend about every little detail.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Sure thing. I've been redoing my list every other day lol. Checking measurements. And constantly bugging my friend about every little detail.
Ditto

limequat

Dec 8, 2011
I lost his email a long time ago sadly, but @limequat can answer a lot of questions because he worked very closely with Mike on his Turbo Voy as well with other guys who boosted 4200's.

Yep, any questions about turbocharging the atlas engines, feel free to drop me a line at jeremy at lime-swap dot com. I'm more comfortable with the electronics side of things, but I've been fortunate to have been exposed to many different projects.

Here's a good example. Autoroc is the standard bearer for high, reliable boost on the I6:

http://www.vortec4200.com/forum1/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=798

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Yep, any questions about turbocharging the atlas engines, feel free to drop me a line at jeremy at lime-swap dot com. I'm more comfortable with the electronics side of things, but I've been fortunate to have been exposed to many different projects.

Here's a good example. Autoroc is the standard bearer for high, reliable boost on the I6:

http://www.vortec4200.com/forum1/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=798
I've shared that thread a few places here, lots of good info :2thumbsup:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Oh wait so this is the guy that has that Up pipe and injectors specifically for the 4.2? Sweet I'll be buying that stuff here soon.
Yes and the injector harness you'll need for bigger injectors, which he also sells.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
There's 2 versions a 60lb and an 80lb. I chose to go the 80lb route because, why not?

Reactions: Blckshdw

efi-diy

Dec 9, 2011
After breaking for than 1 4L65 with a lot of good internal parts I gave up on them and installed a 4l80. No more issues, even at 640 ft/lbs (wheel).

The '65 was ok upto 550 ft/lb torque. Mind your this was 5 years ago, since then the aftermarket has solve the direct clutch capacity issue - no cheap to build but they will handle a lot more torque now.

That said I also lost some fuel economy as the '80 takes more to run. Internally its a th400 + an additional gear set/clutch pack.

Traz

Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Michigan
Hey everyone. I've been working a lot with planning out the build for my envoy. Lately some things have come up and long story short my wife had an infection in her gallbladder, shortly after finding that out she had a miscarriage.. So I'll still try to work and give updates but I apologize if it's few and far between for a while. Thanks guys

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No problem here. Sorry to hear about your loss and her health issues. Gotta take care of priorities.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Wish the best to you and the misses in this discouraging time brother.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Prayers for you and yours!

Reactions: Adamc0909

Traz

Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Michigan
Has anyone seen anything about a turbo manifold for the 4.2? I'm trying to cover all my bases before I fab one. Somebody suggested edits to and upside down stock manifold? Thanks

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Has anyone seen anything about a turbo manifold for the 4.2? I'm trying to cover all my bases before I fab one. Somebody suggested edits to and upside down stock manifold? Thanks
Just bolt an up-pipe to the later year redesigned stock one.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
2008/2009 had the redesigned one.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
For @Traz ...to add to his existential efforts... and for @Capote... to know that "We Few... We Happy Few... We Band of Brothers..." will keep on pulling for The BatBlazer to get back on the road ...and if Turbo-Charged... then God Help The Bad Guys!

Reactions: Traz

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
No idea if this'll even start this year. Not enough money to get everything I need to rebuild my screwed up motor. It'll go up even more if my crank is blemished from the bad bearing.

efi-diy

Dec 9, 2011
Capote

"
It is confirmed to handle 17Ibs stock. I'm aiming for 400+ as well. So you're gonna have some forged internals made up? I'm not going down that path, only due to how expensive it is, since nobody makes anything aftermarket for this engine (internally) unless requested by someone.?"

Not quite accurate.

I have started to rebuild the knowledge base after the vortec4200 cratered earlier this year

http://www.inliners.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=17&page=1

EFI

Traz

Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Michigan
@Capote Lets throw in a twin turbo and slam 16lbs Home XD

@Sneakycyber Its going. slowly but going. ive drawn up some plans for a custom intake, and an exhaust manifold. right now im looking into cleaning up the engine bay, downsizing and moving the wiper fluid container, and moving AC lines to around the firewall (doable with an extension kit, but still questionable)
turbo has been selected, injectors, fuel pump and spark plugs have been chosen. intercooler system has been scouted and routing is currently under planning. still in the early stages as when i finally do this i want it to be solid. anyway, thats all for now. ill be including sketches of everything, as well as step by step pictures as best i can as well as any trouble shooting information

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Capote

"
It is confirmed to handle 17Ibs stock. I'm aiming for 400+ as well. So you're gonna have some forged internals made up? I'm not going down that path, only due to how expensive it is, since nobody makes anything aftermarket for this engine (internally) unless requested by someone.?"

Not quite accurate.

I have started to rebuild the knowledge base after the vortec4200 cratered earlier this year

http://www.inliners.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=17&page=1

EFI
I wrote that before I was able to come across some forged parts.

@Traz It is unlikely I'll actually ever do this project at this point. Maybe gap the rings to safely do a Meth kit, but that's it.

Traz

Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Michigan
I wrote that before I was able to come across some forged parts.

@Traz It is unlikely I'll actually ever do this project at this point. Maybe gap the rings to safely do a Meth kit, but that's it.

Last we talked you were having some issue with it. did they get resolved?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Last edited:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Any progress on your end with the build?

Traz

Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Michigan
Right now no. been looking at suspension upgrades. then i got sidetracked helping my friend build a 350z from the ground up.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Right now no. been looking at suspension upgrades. then i got sidetracked helping my friend build a 350z from the ground up.
Just get a Belltech lowering kit, but don't modify it. I modified mine, and my truck has taken a beating because of that...

Reactions: Traz

Traz

Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Michigan
Sounds good to me. We've been busy up here getting my friends 350 running. We dropped in a newer 3.5 and figured we would swap in new everything. Then had to chase gremlins...

Anyway, on now to figuring out if the 4L60e can handle power. Also still cant decide on what turbo I want. The one we found for the Cummins was 230$ but haven't settled yet.

In other news I'm also debating on what to do with the 4.2. 07, just hit 101k miles.. new gaskets/seals, head bolts, etc.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It can handle some with the right upgrades but not sure how much. 4L80E can but not sure if there is a way to bolt one of those up the the 4.2.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Sounds good to me. We've been busy up here getting my friends 350 running. We dropped in a newer 3.5 and figured we would swap in new everything. Then had to chase gremlins...

Anyway, on now to figuring out if the 4L60e can handle power. Also still cant decide on what turbo I want. The one we found for the Cummins was 230$ but haven't settled yet.

In other news I'm also debating on what to do with the 4.2. 07, just hit 101k miles.. new gaskets/seals, head bolts, etc.
The 4l60e we have can handle up 400hp*, with a Turbo you'd easily surpass that depending on how much boost you plan on running. Your best option is to upgrade all the stock components. You wouldn't have to swap it out at all. There's plenty of high horsepower builds out there with 4L60e's.

This site has a crap load of upgrades:
https://probuiltautomatics.com/ - I was going to use their stuff when I was going to do my Turbo.

Reactions: Traz and Mooseman

Traz

Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
Michigan
Oof hit another snag.. took the truck in to get an oil change, all was going well (except for my hood latch that randomly decides it doesn't want to engage) but while they where in there I was alerted to my coolant reservoir being empty. once I got home I checked the radiator and it was full, filled the tank then pressure tested. 15psi for 1 hour no problem. no leaks, hoses where fine. I inspected the oil drained and nothing out of the ordinary, no froth on the oil cap either. any ideas guys?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.