2007 Colorado 4 or 6hi mod

Sib

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
Has anyone done, or know how to do, the 4hi and or 6hi mod for a Colorado. My dad has one and loves my HID headlights so he is thinking about getting some. If he does I want to try and do at least the 4hi mod for his truck.

Also would need to do the capacitor mod. Not sure if it's same or how similar it is to the TB.

Thanks!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If the truck has DRLs that use the low beams, then yes, the cap mod (or DRL killer) would need to be done. Since I'm not familiar with the wiring in that vehicle, I can't tell you exactly what to do, but if there is a fuse block with relays similar to how ours are setup, you could do the diode mod for cheap, and be done pretty quickly.

Reactions: Sib

Sib

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
I'm pretty sure the DRLs are the low beams. I will have to double check that.

I was gonna do the diode mod. Just not sure about the fuse block or splicing in to the low and high beam wires in the bcm.

Sib

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
Yeah my old man would probably prefer me not to mess with his stock wires that much. Will have to find the bcm to do the capacitor mod though. Unless there is another method out there.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Some places, like TRS sell a capacitor harness, that would take the low beam output, and relay harness input, and do the same thing in a plug n play version. Here's their link. You could make your own harness for less, if you are good with hand tools. :twocents:

Reactions: Sib and Mounce

Sib

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
I might end up just getting the capacitor harness from TRS. I'm decent with hand tools but with it not being my car I don't want to try and rig up something and mess anything up. I'll never hear the end of it if that happens. I'm gonna do a little more research and see if I can come up with anything. Not much info for the colorado's. At least nothing like GMTNation :yes: .

Thanks for the input tho! When I get something figured out I'll post back in here in case someone else is looking to do this mod also!

Reactions: Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Not many places can compete with us. :yes:

If you need help on the 4/6-hi I can look up a fusebox chart and see what I can figure out if you need me to. :tiphat:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
sib355.JPG

I think this was the first time that I looked at a 355 schematic. This pic isn't bad, it's the other ones that made me say "WTH were they thinking" lol.

This looks very similar to my Tahoes lights. I just did quads only in that for the same reason. When the stalk is pushed toward the dash, it clicks into place and the high beams come on and the low beams turn off. They called that wire the dimmer wire. When the stalk is pulled toward the steering wheel, it doesn't click into place but the high beams come on and the low beams stay on. They called that wire the flash to pass wire. This schematic is for a 2007 355.

What I did was take the dimmer wire and cut it. I taped off the end that went into the bcm. I tapped the flash to pass wire with the other side of the dimmer wire. That way, no matter which way the stalk was moved, the truck thinks it's in flash to pass mode and the low beams do not turn off.

I haven't been on 355 nation in a LONG time so I don't know if it's as awesome as it was a few years back. I would double check there that this will work. Those guys might have an easier way. :yes:

Off topic but THANKS for including a link to this thread. :thumbsup:

Sib

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
MAY03LT said:
attachicon.gif
sib355.JPG

I think this was the first time that I looked at a 355 schematic. This pic isn't bad, it's the other ones that made me say "WTH were they thinking" lol.

This looks very similar to my Tahoes lights. I just did quads only in that for the same reason. When the stalk is pushed toward the dash, it clicks into place and the high beams come on and the low beams turn off. They called that wire the dimmer wire. When the stalk is pulled toward the steering wheel, it doesn't click into place but the high beams come on and the low beams stay on. They called that wire the flash to pass wire. This schematic is for a 2007 355.

What I did was take the dimmer wire and cut it. I taped off the end that went into the bcm. I tapped the flash to pass wire with the other side of the dimmer wire. That way, no matter which way the stalk was moved, the truck thinks it's in flash to pass mode and the low beams do not turn off.

I haven't been on 355 nation in a LONG time so I don't know if it's as awesome as it was a few years back. I would double check there that this will work. Those guys might have an easier way. :yes:

Off topic but THANKS for including a link to this thread. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the reply. I'll check out 355 nation and see what I can dig up. Do you think it would still work if I attached a diode from the flash to pass wire to the dimmer wire?

Sib

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
Mounce said:
This is so easy that its not funny lol.

http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-lighting-electrical/7626-how-dual-high-low-headlights.html#/forumsite/20855/topics/7626

-Mildly harder on trailblazers but for the Colorado its stupid easy lol.
I had no idea about 355 nation until I saw May's post. Then just noticed yours above. I just looked at that mod. Lol. I agree. I think I am gonna pic up a spare relay at a junk yard in case the old guy has an issue he can just switch relays until I can figure out what is up.

Reactions: Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
That's a good idea about picking up a spare relay. And I don't see why a diode wouldn't work if you'd rather just tap the wires in MAY's post instead of cutting one then tapping into the other.

Definitely research it and see what different methods you can find and then pick one that you like/trust and try it.

Sib

Original poster
Sep 6, 2014
Well his birthday is in April so HIDs seem like a good bday present. Figure I have until around then to get it all figured out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online