2006 envoy wind noise

Robmoo

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Fort Worth Texas
I'm having a lot of wind noise in my 2006 Envoy. It has been going on for a while, but I've finally decided that I want to do something about it. I have to really crank the radio up when I get to highway speeds.

I did the dollar bill test and it seems a bit loose toward the front of the driver's side door. When I hold my fingers at the top of the door when driving down the highway I can feel the door move in and out. I'm wondering if my issue is the door seal, the upper weather seal which has been discontinued, or the Envoy/Trailblazers are just noisy vehicles and live with it?

Does anyone make a head unit with noise cancellation? LOL!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My TB does the same thing and gets worse when there is a strong wind in any direction. I'm thinking my door frame is weak. When it's windy, I can't close the window as the top of it would get cocked out of the top track. If I open another window first, I can close it. I can lightly push the top of the door while driving and it does the same as a wind gust.

Maybe the top of the door frame is bent out a bit or is weak.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I don't think my 06 ext makes much wind noise at all. I mean it makes a lot of other noises, but I ever remember thinking hmm that's bad wind noise. And I've driven vehicles where I noticed that.

ABaker

Feb 8, 2024
Jacobson MN
I get some wind noise in my '08 Envoy. The weatherstripping is shot all the way around. Same problem with my last Envoy. If I replace it all, how long will the new stripping last!?! Not exactly a cheap experiment.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Mine lasted to 200k before needing replacement.. So not sure.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You could always try the weather strip mod, where you fish some 3/8" foam backer rod through it to firm things up. :twocents:

Reactions: Mooseman

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
If the weather stripping is in good condition but there is still a gap near the top of the door, the top of the door frame can be adjusted to reduce wind noise by a mechanic or someone who knows what they are doing. Here is a tip. You do NOT want to watch how they do this. Trust me.

And, yes, the recommended procedure is to open the window all the way, put your knee against the inside and yank on the top of the window frame several times.

I have done this on a few vehicles and it works well to reduce wind noise, and I would assume it would help with any misalignment problems as windows try to close on windy days. Do NOT try this at home, kiddies. It takes just the right amount of yanking to subtly bend the window frame just exactly enough, and don't blame me if someone tries it without professional help or even thinks of using a 2x4 through the open window to achieve the same result.

Watching factory mechanics perform this on brand new vehicles is scary, but that's how they do it.

Here is how I know if this method may work. Take a $5 bill from your wallet, insert it between the door and the frame at the top of the door and close the door. Try sliding the bill around and you will instantly find where it slides easily if a wind gap is your problem.

One can also take three $100 bills, give them to the dealer, and they will perform the exact same procedure.

If this method works for you - and it does on many cars if a wind gap is the problem, especially if anyone needed CAA/AAA to open a locked car - put the $5 in an envelop and mail it to me. Or ... have a beer on me instead; either one works.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online