2006 Envoy headlights won't go off

TomC-NY

Original poster
Feb 14, 2014
Headlights won't turn off or time out. Just stays on. Turning the control panel headlight switch doesn't do anything. I have to put in and pull the #53 fuse when I'm done driving at night. Smelled something burnt in the fuse panel but took a meter and got a tone for all of the fuses, so I know they're good. I think it might be #46, "headlamp driver module", but not sure.

Just figured it out..it was relay #46. I pulled the #45 relay and moved it to the #46 spot and it solved the problem.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome!

And you took the words right out of my mouth. When low beams quit working both at the same time, it's almost always the black solid state relay. And rarely, like 1% of the time, the unit fails in the ON state and then both low beams are locked on to drain your battery and cause all the other sorts of fallout that happens with a battery drainage. Since you almost never need the fan clutch running in the winter, borrowing the adjacent identical relay is a perfect short-term workaround!

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
And also, it's nice to see that you found the problem and a semi-solution without even needing any help after all. It's nice to have people around who at least know some common troubleshooting tips, the more we have on the forums the better and quicker we can help those who are in need :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online