NEED HELP 2006 Envoy Denali - ABS activates on every stop

Dan_G

Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
My 2006 Envoy Denali is having brake issues. No warning lights are active (no ABS light). The truck is activating anti-lock every time I stop on dry pavement. If I just come to a stop slowly, the anti-lock kicks in the last few seconds just before the truck stops – every time. The front pads and rotors are new and do not vibrate. The front hubs were replaced back in 2015 with Timken units. The truck did sit for a while and the brake issue started immediately after I got it back on the road.

Also the truck engages traction control every time I accelerate from a stop. It has been doing this for a while – well before the brakes started doing the anti-lock thing. I’m kinda assuming the two are not related.

Any ideas where to start with the brake issue. It seems to me it’s probably the ABS sensors. Maybe they got some rust in there or the connections corroded while the truck sat for about 6 months. I could try to clean the ABS sensors if that’s a thing. I do have a Tech II scan tool so I can look at any data – should that be useful.

Thanks

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My experience was when that started happening the hub ABS sensor and or ring was to blame. Problem went away when I put new hubs on when they failed.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
My Envoy was doing the exact same thing when I bought it back in 2007, front passenger hub needed replacing. Got it done under warranty, and no problems since, except the hubs going bad again about 50k miles later... GRR!

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Same issue with my Envoy when I purchased it two years ago. Tried cleaning the sensors, but noticed the tips of them had been rubbed away somehow. Found it easier to just do both front hubs. I figured at 180k at the time, it was easier to just to do new hubs and sensors.

Timken or Delco seem to be the go to brands. I'm running a Timken on the passenger side and a Moog one on the driver. Was going to do Timken on the driver, but the $50 off coupon at advanced made it tempting to pick up the Moog to see which one will last longer.

Reactions: Mooseman

Dan_G

Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
Thanks for the replies. I found a Youtube video that shows how to clean them. I'll try that and if it does not work - new hubs again. I'm sure it was from letting the truck sit outside. It has a spot in the garage now.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I had similar issues and removed the ABS relay to drive it while I acquired new hubs. Then I dropped one of the new hubs right on the dang ABS sensor and snapped it right off. I ended up pulling the sensor from one of the old hubs and cleaned it VERY well. There appears to be a shim to space the sensor. I believe I also sanded the end of the sensor with high grit sandpaper (then cleaned it again) to expose bright steel to get better signal. It's been over two years and I haven't had any issues.

Reactions: mrrsm

Dan_G

Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
I changed the hubs today – problem solved. The truck was also activating traction control each time I accelerated from a stop. This seems to be solved as well – not really surprising since the wheel speed sensors were not sending signal at low speed causing both the anti-lock brakes and the traction control systems to freak out. So … done for now. Looks like this will be a project every 2-3 years or so … but at least I know how to fix it.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Great to hear!

I wouldn't worry too much about replacing them every 2-3 years, they really don't have that high of a failure rate that it needs to be done this often.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Unless they're cheap Chinese junk.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Ive been replacing mine with ACD's every 3 years. Luckily my local parts shop offers the hubs with lifetime warranty.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online