2006 Chevy TB, dead ignition ? / wont crank engine

randyray222

Original poster
May 19, 2012
Have a 2006 TB with 90k miles.
Daily driving vehicle, turned off engine yesterday now its dead and all the electronics are acting strange, flashing gauges and intermit radio speakers sounds like a frankenstein movie.

The ignition doesnt crank the engine, some clicks and gauge flashing.
Scanned for codes and got these.
P0128
P0495
Checked battery connections-clean and tight
Checked the battery with my battery charger unit, 90% charged and good voltage (14+)
Checked all fuses-ok
The key in the ignition is sloppy lose and sometimes you have to fiddle with it to get it to rotate.

Dont want to just throw new parts at this vehicle with out knowing the right thing to do.
Not sure next step, any help would be greatly appreciated.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Do you have a meter to see if voltage is getting to the ignition switch? The ignition switch has a very high failure rate, and it's relatively cheap at the aftermarket parts stores, so if you don't feel like (or are able to) troubleshoot it definitely, just swap the switch. The electrical guts of the switch are not at all failing because of the mechanical key cylinder that's causing your loose key issue, but there's a chance that the cylinder issue is affecting the gear rotation at the switch electrical part.

A meter can also make sure the battery hasn't internally failed, which could also be tested at the parts stores with a load test. A bad battery might have enough of a connection to show voltage on a meter when it's not being loaded, but the voltage at the battery terminal could collapse to nothing under load when you turn the ignition key. I assume everybody who owns one of these technically advanced vehicles owns at least a $5 Harbor Freight meter.

Did you also check the heavy wiring to the alternator and fender ground, not just the connections at the battery?

randyray222

Original poster
May 19, 2012
I will be returning to the vehicle tomorrow with tools needed as it is 40 miles away from me right now.
Thank You for your help.
I will check the heavy wire and the ground wire also.
Will get a new switch and swap it out.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Is it the original battery? Either way I would have the battery load tested before throwing a switch at it.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
randyray222 said:
Dont want to just throw new parts at this vehicle with out knowing the right thing to do.

Understood. But in all honesty if it's the original battery then it is time. You are at 6 years. Most OEM batteries don't last much longer than 5. Especially in those harsh Black Hills winters.

...and preventative maintenance such as this is not considered a waste of money.:smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online