2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4.2 4x4

ar7

Original poster
May 2, 2017
AR
I have a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4.2 4x4 and going to replace the fan clutch is the Hayden 3200 unit the same as the OEM. Also, would it require a PCM reflash as well?

ar7

Original poster
May 2, 2017
AR
I have ordered it the Hayden 3200 should be in very soon along with new OEM radiator/water pump and hoses.

ar7

Original poster
May 2, 2017
AR
Update, I replaced the radiator, upper/lower hoses, waterpump and the fan clutch with the Hayden 3200.

Upon start up, the check engine light was on (I did not disconnect the battery). So it appears after clearing it (it returned again), had it checked at the dealer and they stated the ECM has to be replaced (then reflashed). There is national back order on the ECM.

I guess my question is, did leaving the battery connected during the unplugging of the original electric fan clutch result in damaging the ECM? I disconnected the OEM electric fan clutch (and reconnected the new one).

The dealer said it was reported as it being dead to the fan clutch. Has anyone else had this experience, I am wondering if I had disconnected the battery first (it would have caused the A/C vents to go to dash). But would it still cause the 'hard fault' being received?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I guess my question is, did leaving the battery connected during the unplugging of the original electric fan clutch result in damaging the ECM?

I doubt it very much. When the engine is off, power to the fan is cut off.

Dealer is trying to fleece you into buying a PCM with the usual sticker shock price (let me guess, around $1000?). They're idiots.

What is the code you're getting? I'm guessing it's a wiring issue or it's not plugged in right. Double checking costs nothing.

ar7

Original poster
May 2, 2017
AR
I doubt it very much. When the engine is off, power to the fan is cut off.

Dealer is trying to fleece you into buying a PCM with the usual sticker shock price (let me guess, around $1000?). They're idiots.

What is the code you're getting? I'm guessing it's a wiring issue or it's not plugged in right. Double checking costs nothing.

I will check it out and check back in with you. I am at a loss (myself) as I did nothing than unplug the old one and plug in the new one.

The price on the ECM was like $400 + $200 to flash it, yet the best part is there is none available all backordered.

Thank you for your reply, will follow up with you for sure.

ar7

Original poster
May 2, 2017
AR
It did require a ECM - was $400 and now no codes. I am still at a loss on what caused this to happen?

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Hate to say it but I think they hosed you...

You could easily have gotten a boneyard pcm as well... they’re not prone to failure... you would’ve needed a CASE relearn but that’s about it...
That’s assuming there actually was a need to replace it at all...

Glad you’re back up and running though...

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Agreed. And it wouldn't even need to be reprogrammed. Just the security relearn you can do yourself and the CASE relearn, which would have been the only small thing the dealer should have charged you.

Dealers: legalized scammers

Reactions: xavierny25

ar7

Original poster
May 2, 2017
AR
I do agree on the dealer thing, everything else I have been able to sort out myself using forums and/or manual.
I do need some advice - I can ask on a new forum question if needed.

To replace the spark plugs (I would not disconnect the battery correct)?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nope but if you're diving in like that, might as well clean the throttle body but for that you do have to disconnect the battery for at least 30 minutes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online