2006/2007 TB Safety Investigation (now a recall) over Driver Side Door Switches

Busterbrown

Dec 4, 2011

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
Fewer other same-platform models were sold and between all of those, there is a good possibility there were no fires.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I have an open recall on my Envoy for the I think drivers side rear door? I don't know why there is a recall on it, but I have yet to get it fixed. I actually had a shop try and charge me for fixing it??? I walked out, I may be a woman, but I am not that stupid lol

Envoy4Life

Dec 4, 2011
I was just going to post this...

U.S. probes door fires in 2006, 2007 TrailBlazers
Detroit News
February 13, 2012
by Tom Krisher

bilde

Federal safety regulators are investigating fires in the driver's side doors of Chevy TrailBlazers, the second such probe in a week.

The latest inquiry involves more than 309,000 TrailBlazer SUVs from the 2006 and 2007 model years. The fires began in the power window switch or related electrical parts, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Monday.

The agency began investigating the TrailBlazer on Thursday, just three days after it opened a probe into similar problems with the 2007 Toyota Camry sedan and RAV4 SUV. None of the vehicles have been recalled.

The vehicles under investigation are popular. The Trailblazer, although phased out in 2009, was among GM's top-sellers. The Camry was the best-selling car in the U.S. last year.

The agency has received 12 complaints of smoke or fires in TrailBlazers. No injuries have been reported, says the SUVs maker, General Motors Co. None of vehicles that caught on fire were destroyed, although some door parts melted and seats were singed, the automaker says.

Several of the TrailBlazer fires happened while the SUVs were moving. Others occurred when the engines were off and the vehicles were unattended.

Full article at link.

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
Just saw it on the news...

So, anyone know who made the switches in question, and why they would catch fire?:undecided:

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
Thanks for letting us know!

Glad this doesn't affect my 2008 TB. I have heard of 1 instance were the drivers door control module melted and started smoking. Must be a scary thing to witness. :eek:

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
woody79 said:
Thanks for letting us know!

Glad this doesn't affect my 2008 TB. I have heard of 1 instance were the drivers door control module melted and started smoking. Must be a scary thing to witness. :eek:
hmmm, I have a 2006 and sometimes my driver door won't unlock with the key fob and sometimes the window lock won't work either .....
My speakers on the driver side are a hit and miss if they work also.......
maybe I should check some things out.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have had my windows fail to work a couple times on my 2006. I guess i ought to be contacting a dealer...

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
glad i have a 2004 i hope nobodies has experience this first hand:eek:

Clockman06LT

Dec 14, 2011
Door switch fails to operate on mine sometimes as well. No speaker issue but definitely worth keeping tabs on this tread.

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
My door switch just went today and you could see were the magic smoke came out and could smell it got hot. Pulled the switch out and saw were it got hot on the outside of the switch housing and how easy it could set a fire.

Went on the NHTSB website and sent them an email maybe i can get lucky and get it replaced we shall see.

Arock

Dec 8, 2011
Perfect timing, and good to know, mine has stopped working intermittently for the last week or so. I guess I'll be waiting to see what happens before shelling out the $250 for a new driver’s door module.

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
i was quoted 330.00 bucks plus programming for the driver door switch. What needs to be programed the auto up and down what.

Arock

Dec 8, 2011
million-miles said:
i was quoted 330.00 bucks plus programming for the driver door switch. What needs to be programed the auto up and down what.

I think it has to be programed to the body module.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Arock said:
I think it has to be programed to the body module.

NEW modules do not come pre-programmed for some insane/cruel reason. The program is not vehicle/VIN specific so once it is programmed it can be transferred to any vehicle with the same functions (which is why locating a used module is extremely difficult). Best we can tell, it's one more gimmick to put an extra $100 in the dealers pocket for 5 minutes worth of work.

Crossing my fingers that a recall can get my flakey module replaced too...before it goes up in smoke.

c bausch

Jan 13, 2012
It happened to my truck about a year ago. I used my auto start then pushed the unlock button and the drivers door wouldn't unlock, when I finally got into my truck I smelled a electricial burning smell and took my swith apart burned/melted a hole in the drivers swith :eek:

krivraq

Mar 3, 2012
My '05 ENVOY has had both driver's and passenger's door modules malfunction. Have already replaced driver's with an eBay find and still looking for passenger's replacement.

**Maybe the '06-'07 TB studies may reaveal it is a MUCH larger issue with all the GM trucks since we're already swapping them out on our own time and dime.**

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Apr 4, 2012
I heard on the radio yesterday that there is a possible recal going on (mainly for toyota's) but they also mentioned the Chevy Trailblazer was also in the investigaiton.. it was for the electronic window switch in the door.. just wondering if anyone else has heard anything about this..:confused:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
ZOOMDWEEBEE said:
I heard on the radio yesterday that there is a possible recal going on (mainly for toyota's) but they also mentioned the Chevy Trailblazer was also in the investigaiton.. it was for the electronic window switch in the door.. just wondering if anyone else has heard anything about this..:confused:

They are always on toyota's ass for recals...just a bit ago it was from brakes sticking and killing people. I have have not heard anything about the TB though :no:

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Apr 4, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
They are always on toyota's ass for recals...just a bit ago it was from brakes sticking and killing people. I have have not heard anything about the TB though :no:

something about the window switch catching fire in the door panel and burining the junker import to the ground.. i mean catching fire.
:raspberry:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
ZOOMDWEEBEE said:
something about the window switch catching fire in the door panel and burining the junker import to the ground.. i mean catching fire.
:raspberry:

Damn that does not sound good at all...I guess its good I have a envoy :biggrin: But I am going to look into that I haven't heard anything about them doing that!

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Apr 4, 2012
the roadie said:
Merged two threads. Good finds. Thanks!

thanks roadie... i heard about it on my sirius xm radio and thought it was worth investgating.. did not want any members to have there tb's burn up.. that would be a shame.. but as for the rest of yall i do appreciate you doing the leg work!! as always good job to everyone on this site glad i made the move!!:thumbsup:

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Apparently Motortrend is late to the show....

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has expanded its investigations into its Chevrolet Trailblazer, and Toyota vehicle master power window switch fires, the safety agency says.

2006-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer
The NHTSA Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) upgraded its investigation into fires originating in the master power window switch of 2006-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer SUVs to determine whether the components have a defect “that presents an unreasonable risk to safety,” a new report says. General Motors presented 167 reports and 698 warranty claims related to the issue to the ODI in response to the agency’s inquiry.

NHTSA Expands Chevy Trailblazer and Toyota Window Switch Fire Investigations image

ODI has received 83 additional complaints, 66 of which alleged that the door modules melted or burned while the rest of the complaints stated that the window switches behaved erratically or were inoperative. Door panels on as many as 28 vehicles caught on fire according to the complaints — including some vehicles that were not running or unattended. ODI is evaluating vehicle models as well as production dates of affected vehicles, which may expand to other platform mates including the Buick Rainier, Isuzu Ascender, GMC Envoy, and Saab 9-7x.

A GM representative said that the automaker has been cooperating and will continue to cooperate with NHTSA and that internally, GM was looking at the Trailblazer’s platform mates for the potential problem.

Read more: NHTSA Expands Chevy Trailblazer and Toyota Window Switch Fire Investigations - WOT on Motor Trend

Ours on the '06 has been out for two years, good thing I have held off on getting a new one. If they do recall it, do you think GM will replace it even though its been out this long?

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
I still have my switch in the back of my trailblazer waiting for the recall info. Im going to get my money back.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio

RZAwora

Apr 15, 2012
Thanks for being on top of things Roadie.
My truck was originally from PA, and I'm in DE. I'm the second owner, I went up to PA to purchase it. Should I wait to get a letter? Will I get a letter being the 2nd owner? Or should I go ahead and call the stealership now? Man I hate that place, but I don't want my truck burning up on me.

RZAwora

Apr 15, 2012
Sorry. Just saw it was Boricua that found it so thanks goes to him. Thanks for keeping things organized to Roadie.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Wow, and to think that I park the Envoy in the garage every night! My son's bedroom is above the garage, and these things are catching on fire :hissyfit:! I'm all over the dealer Monday morning for the replacement, regardless of whether I'm on a list or not! :hissyfit: !!!

Denali will be spending the next 2 nights outside!

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
I'm checking with the dealer on Monday as well. I park right next to my parents cars. If one of our cars goes boom, they may all go boom.

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
This doesnt surprise me , I notice if its rained and you keep your vehicle waxed when you go to stop and you have the window open the water from the roof will drip right onto that switch. Dont know what the difference between the 2006-7 and my 2008 . Hopefully the 2008's are ok.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online