2006/2007 TB Safety Investigation (now a recall) over Driver Side Door Switches

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
mrphoenix80 said:
Well I got the info today. They are not replacing the switches unless they don't work.:mad: If they pass a functional test then we take em appart and apply a coating to the pins inside where the ribbon cable solders to the board. This coating has to sit for 1hr before you reassemble the switch. So bear in mind the recall includes a 1hr "watching paint dry" phase when you schedule it to be done.

:mad:DAMN IT I wanted a new switch:frown:

EDIT: I think I should stress that this is just for the northeast (salt belt). The rest of the country is not a recall but a specail policy. If your switch fails GM will replace it for the life of your truck.

Wonder if it counts that mine whistles when I roll up the back drivers window? I hear a super high pitch whine if the window is up and i push the button to double check

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
mrphoenix80 said:
Well I got the info today. They are not replacing the switches unless they don't work.:mad: If they pass a functional test then we take em appart and apply a coating to the pins inside where the ribbon cable solders to the board. This coating has to sit for 1hr before you reassemble the switch. So bear in mind the recall includes a 1hr "watching paint dry" phase when you schedule it to be done.

:mad:DAMN IT I wanted a new switch:frown:

EDIT: I think I should stress that this is just for the northeast (salt belt). The rest of the country is not a recall but a specail policy. If your switch fails GM will replace it for the life of your truck.

Seems odd that Gm saw enough of a problem to tell me not to park in my garage and now we are advised to wait until it fails :confused:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Opeth said:
The lights are out in mine.... Does that count as not working?

No! only smoke and flames count:thumbsup:

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
Yeah I talked to local and multiple gm representatives and basically after 20 calls back and fourth they told me even though my switch didn't work there were no signs of burning wires, so they blamed it not working on my remote starter/security system. So yeah basically it has to be on fire for them to replace it...

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Canary2323 said:
Yeah I talked to local and multiple gm representatives and basically after 20 calls back and fourth they told me even though my switch didn't work there were no signs of burning wires, so they blamed it not working on my remote starter/security system. So yeah basically it has to be on fire for them to replace it...

Take a blow torch to it :biggrin::thumbsup::goodevil:

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
northcreek said:
Seems odd that Gm saw enough of a problem to tell me not to park in my garage and now we are advised to wait until it fails :confused:

Well not for you Northcreek. If your in the salt belt states come on in. The recall wants the dealers to disassemble the switch and apply a coating to the solder joint and a gasket. Because that will fix it :thumbsup:

The bulbs are replaceable.

And for the rest of you the switch has to pass a "function test" if not it gets replaced. As my service manager says I bet a lot will fail the test because its easier.

Don37725

Dec 8, 2011
I am in TN and previous title state was fla - not one of the salt states - DDM went bad in Nov - I got a replacement from Amazon $100 - installed myself and had dealer program $50 - sent email to Alan Adler, spokesman for GM who was quoted as saying " GM also will will make repairs at no cost to owners living in other states not covered by the recall"

My email correctly stated that I had contacted my local dealer as well as the GM 800 number and received no help.

He forwarded my email to ExecReferral@gm.com and I got a phone call the next day - I had to submit copies of my paid Amazon and Chevy dealer receipts and current reg or title - it took some time and back and forth but I finally received a check for $150 from GM.

The good news is I got my $150 back - the bad news is I have a 5.3 that puffs clouds of blue smoke due to GM's new and improved pcv "SYSTEM" - I will spend the money for a new valve cover.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
My door switch just went out no power no nothing didn't even smell a electrical burn god damnit

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
jrSS said:
My door switch just went out no power no nothing didn't even smell a electrical burn god damnit

Hmmm, refer to post #166...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
When the switch fails do the mirrors not work either?

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:

Mine didn't work.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Ok fellas. Anyone gwt their switch replaced under recall notice yet. Just dropped mine off to have it done. Yayyyy. My switch was intermittently working for a week now. Perfect timing!!

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
I received the following letter from GM Canada the other day...

Dear CdnGMan:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Previously, we sent you a letter about a safety recall on your 2006 model year Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT.
This letter is to inform you that parts are now available to service your vehicle.

General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2006
model year Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT vehicles originally sold or currently registered in Ontario, Quebec,
New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland. As a result, GM is conducting a
safety recall.

If fluid, such as melted snow containing road salt, enters the driver's door module, it may cause corrosion
that could result in a short in the circuit board. A short may cause the power door lock and power window
switches to function intermittently or may stop working. A short may also cause overheating, which could
melt components of the door module, producing odour, smoke, or a fire. Additionally, the windows may
raise or lower themselves, without user input. These conditions may occur even with the vehicle parked
and the key removed. It is advised that you park the vehicle outdoors until it has been remedied.

Your GM dealer will test the driver's window and door lock switches for proper operation. If the switches
function properly, your dealer will install a protective coating to the door module. If the switches do not
function properly, your dealer will install a new door module. This service will be performed for you at no
charge.

We recommend that you contact your General Motors dealer as soon as possible to schedule an
appointment for this repair. You may be contacted by a dealer other than the dealer who sold or is
currently servicing your vehicle. Please be advised that you may take your vehicle to the General Motors
dealership of your choice to have the recall service work completed.
- -- - ·--- - ----- ----
This letter identifies your vehicle. Presentation of this letter to your dealer will assist their Service
personnel in completing the necessary correction to your vehicle in the shortest possible time.

If you have already paid for some or all of the cost to correct the condition in this recall, and you have not
received reimbursement under a Vehicle Service Contract, you should contact your dealer to seek
reimbursement. Please provide your dealer with your original paid receipts or invoices verifying the repair,
the amount charged, proof of payment, the date of payment of those charges, and proof of ownership of
the vehicle at the time of the repair. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and
documents mentioned above, must be received by your dealer by February 28, 2014.

We apologize for this inconvenience. However, we are concerned about your safety and continued
satisfaction with our products.

Customer Care and Aftersales
General Motors of Canada Limited
GM Recall #12180-2

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
So I got the ss back from dealership and they said they replaced the switch...ummm no they didn't. As I was pulling the truck in the garage to see what causing brake squeel..I tried rolling the window back up and nothing. Dealership failed to replace switch.BASTARDS!! So i called them back up and the truck is sittin at the dealership once again. (Man I almost feel like juan. ) and I also got another loaner. Yay. I miss my truck.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Got the letter on the 06 but it rarely has issues. The 07 switches were dead so took it apart and found its burnt up. Hopefully its covered too.

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
Just got my check for the part. Lost my receipt for the one hour labor so that my fault.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
HARDTRAILZ said:

mirror's wont work...

i've gone through 3 window switches... all replaced by GM... first one took a crap from water getting on it.. or at least i think so... second one was my mistake on the LED mod, and the 3rd one was becuase of my passanger side mirror not working... the dealer replaced the mirror switch, tried to work the mirror and the new switch blew... so they swapped out the mirror switch again, and gave me a 3rd window switch... all has been fine ever since...

jrSS said:
So I got the ss back from dealership and they said they replaced the switch...ummm no they didn't. As I was pulling the truck in the garage to see what causing brake squeel..I tried rolling the window back up and nothing. Dealership failed to replace switch.BASTARDS!! So i called them back up and the truck is sittin at the dealership once again. (Man I almost feel like juan. ) and I also got another loaner. Yay. I miss my truck.

you sir, can go f*** yourself :raspberry::rotfl:

Jayman

Mar 4, 2012
Got mine.

Attachments

• GMC%20Recall%20Letter.jpg
    GMC%20Recall%20Letter.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 26

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Although I never received any letters, the dealer ran my vin and said I am on the list for the recall info. He inspected my DDM and has ordered me a new one and expects it to be in next week. :thumbsup:

Jayman

Mar 4, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
Although I never received any letters, the dealer ran my vin and said I am on the list for the recall info. He inspected my DDM and has ordered me a new one and expects it to be in next week. :thumbsup:

Well that's awesome!

If you're not the original owner I would contact GM Canada AFTER the repair and update their records with your info so that they can keep you up to date, if you haven't already done so.

:thumbsup:

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Jayman said:
Well that's awesome!

If you're not the original owner I would contact GM Canada AFTER the repair and update their records with your info so that they can keep you up to date, if you haven't already done so.

:thumbsup:

I was in touch with GM couple weeks back regarding engine issues and warranty, she did have some blanks on the owner profile to fill in which probably explains why I never received a letter. It was originally from Ohio which I'm sure also adds to the confusion. I didn't even ask the service adviser what was wrong with my DDM I just said thank you.

I see your in Edmonton, I went to Doan's when I was there, very very good food!:biggrin:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Took the Rainier in for warranty work this week and the dealer went ahead and replaced the switch without me asking or even putting in on my service laundry list. No fuss at all.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I phoned GM Canada a while back and they told me to phone back since my truck was from the states they would not be getting in touch with me. I really love GM customer service, it is such a joke.

floridarv

Mar 30, 2013
Wow... This site has been great for me, just discovered even though my vehicle is in Florida, I have the door switch recall since it was orginally bought in Mass. Have to make appointment to get it resolved.

PS, I signed up on the buick website as the new owner so I will get the updates.

Thanks

ryan

Dec 4, 2011
Brought my truck to dealer for recall today. Never have had problem with it ,dealer inspected it said it looked fine. but replaced switch instead of fix..im happy.

SEMIJim

Apr 13, 2013
General Motors is recalling 193,652 2006 and 2007 model year SUVs for a potential water leak in the driver’s side door that could cause a short in the driver’s side electrical panel module. The recall affects the Chevrolet Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, Buick Rainier, Saab 9-7x and Isuzu Ascender SUVs.

Owners of these vehicles are advised to park their vehicles outdoors until the module can be inspected by a dealership, as an electrical short could cause a fire. (emphasis added)

The Problem:

A malfunction of the driver’s side door switch panel could occur if fluid leaks into the module, causing intermittent or non-operation of the power door lock and power window switches. An electrical short could cause odor, smoke, or fire.

The Fix:

GM will contact affected vehicle owners, and the electrical modules subject to the recall will be inspected and a protective coating applied. Defective modules will be replaced. Chevrolet owners can call 866-694-6546, Buick owners can call 800-521-7300, GMC owners 866-996-9463, Isuzu 800-255-6727, and Saab 855-880-0808. Owners can also call NHTSA’s Vehicle Safety Hotline at 888-327-4236.

Number of Vehicles Potentially Affected:

193,652 2006-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer, EXT, GMC Envoy and XL, and Buick Rainier, Saab 9-7x and Isuzu Ascender SUVs. The recall is an expansion of the previous recall 12V-406.

Source: NHTSA
More at Recall: 2006-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, Other GMT 360 SUVs for Electrical Short

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Thanks for the note. 2002-2005 trucks aren't part of the recall because the design is different? In their dreams. All years are at risk. GM lawyers must have been negotiating feverishly with the NHTSA to exclude the older ones to limit their recall expense. As usual, the equation comes down to running the numbers. The recall will cost $X per truck. Allowing a certain percentage of them to catch fire in people's garages will burn down "N" houses and kill "M" numbers of people. If lawsuits from the fires costs less than the recall, GM and its stockholders are making the right corporate decision. For them. Not for the dead people in the burned houses.

I park mine outside, but because it's too tall for the garage. :yes:

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
NHTSA press release on expansion:

RECALL Subject : Driver's Master Power Window Switch
Report Receipt Date: JUN 13, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V248000
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM , VISIBILITY
Potential Number of Units Affected: 193,652

BUICK RAINIER 2006-2007
CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER 2006-2007
CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER EXT 2006
GMC ENVOY 2006-2007
GMC ENVOY XL 2006
ISUZU ASCENDER 2006-2007
SAAB 9-7X 2005-2007

Manufacturer: General Motors LLC

SUMMARY:
General Motors (GM) is recalling certain model year 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT and GMC Envoy XL and 2006-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, Buick Rainier, SAAB 9-7x, and Isuzu Ascender vehicles. Fluid may enter the driver's door module, causing corrosion that could result in a short in the circuit board. A short may cause the power door lock and power window switches to function intermittently or become inoperative. The short may also cause overheating, which could melt components of the door module, producing odor, smoke, or a fire.

CONSEQUENCE:
A short in the circuit board could lead to a fire, increasing the risk of personal injury. A fire could occur even while the vehicle is not in use. As a precaution, owners are advised to park outside until the remedy has been made.

REMEDY:
Owners will be contacted and dealers will test the driver's door module. If the module is functioning properly, a protective coating will be applied. If the module is not functioning properly, it will be replaced. These repairs will be done free of charge. GM will notify Buick, Chevrolet, and GMC owners, Isuzu and Saab will contact their respective owners. The recall is expected to begin July 24, 2013. Buick owners may contact the owner center at 1-800-521-7300, Chevrolet owners at 1-866-694-6546, GMC owners at 1-866-996-9463, Isuzu owners at 1-800-255-6727, and SAAB owners at 1-855-880-0808. GM's campaign number is 12180. This recall is an expansion of recall 12V-406.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

SEMIJim

Apr 13, 2013
I missed the July 24 thing. So I've got to leave the truck in the driveway for the next month? Grrr...

Jim

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
They were not sure if they wanted to include mine because it originated from the states and then I bought it from a GM dealer near in Canada. Because it was from the states first they felt it was my problem. Have not been back to confirm whether they will fix or not.

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
Fire06 said:
They were not sure if they wanted to include mine because it originated from the states and then I bought it from a GM dealer near in Canada. Because it was from the states first they felt it was my problem. Have not been back to confirm whether they will fix or not.

Same boat...
When this recall first came out, I contacted the dealer and they checked by VIN# and mine was not on the list :frown: or perhaps a good thing :smile: :confused:

I'm the second owner and have had the truck 3 years now. She was originally sold/bought in Portland, Oregon and manufactured in Moraine, Ohio. And now she resides in Vancouver, BC.

SEMIJim

Apr 13, 2013
Sir ffeJ said:
Same boat...
When this recall first came out, I contacted the dealer and they checked by VIN# and mine was not on the list :frown: or perhaps a good thing :smile: :confused:
When I bought my truck, just a bit over two months ago, I asked the dealership about that recall. I was told they'd checked and my new-to-me truck wasn't included. Stopped by the dealershiip on the way into work, this morning, to have them check again. Still not included. So: Does that mean GM hasn't yet actually issued the expanded recall, or that, even with the expanded recall, my truck is not included?

I think I'll call the number mentioned in the article I referenced and see if they can shed any light on the situation.

ETA: Well, that was a waste of time. The number's only useful if you have a recall notice. So I guess I have to just wait. Marvelous.

Jim

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Thanks for the note. 2002-2005 trucks aren't part of the recall because the design is different? In their dreams. All years are at risk. GM lawyers must have been negotiating feverishly with the NHTSA to exclude the older ones to limit their recall expense. As usual, the equation comes down to running the numbers. The recall will cost $X per truck. Allowing a certain percentage of them to catch fire in people's garages will burn down "N" houses and kill "M" numbers of people. If lawsuits from the fires costs less than the recall, GM and its stockholders are making the right corporate decision. For them. Not for the dead people in the burned houses.

I park mine outside, but because it's too tall for the garage. :yes:

02-05 switch panels are different. How much I don't know but they do even look different, and that switch redesign could be the cause of the problem.

marce

Jan 6, 2012
After taking my TB 06 to dealer for recall work on saturday I was told the replacment did not work so they had to order new one and that would be on Monday sooo now Friday I took it in and 4 hours later am waiting for ride back to dealer to pick it up.YEAHH! so glad it failed at there service bay els I would be paying for electric part.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online