NEED HELP 2005 Trailblazer Brake and ABS lights won't turn off

Robert Schwartz

Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
Mt. Dora, FL
I have a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer with over 210,000 miles. I have had the brakes changes numerous times, but the ABS and brake lights on the instrument panel will not turn off. I have a diagnostic tool hooked up and no error codes for the brakes or ABS never turn up.
If anyone reading this has any ideas as too why this occurs or is having the same issue, please let me know.

Thank you.
Robert

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I have a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer with over 210,000 miles. I have had the brakes changes numerous times, but the ABS and brake lights on the instrument panel will not turn off. I have a diagnostic tool hooked up and no error codes for the brakes or ABS never turn up.
If anyone reading this has any ideas as too why this occurs or is having the same issue, please let me know.

Thank you.
Robert
Replace your ignition switch. One of the common symptoms when they go bad are a false ABS and Brake light warning on the cluster. My last one that went bad had the ABS light constantly come on. Keep away from anything other than ACdelco for a replacement when it comes to the ignition switch.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There is one specific instance when both the ABS and brake lights come one but can't remember which one. I think it's when the ABS fuse is pulled, the ABS module is unplugged or there is no communication to it.

Is your reader actually able to read ABS codes? Most don't. You would need a fairly high end scanner or a Bluetooth OBD adapter with the Car Gauge Pro app. With the light on, you should have an ABS code.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
As for the ignition switch, that is the normal failure mode as Capote mentioned, both times that mine failed it also cut off the hvac. So if you've got all three happening I'd say it's definitely the switch.

But definitely would not hurt to get up with someone with a capable scanner if yours isn't abs capable.

Reactions: Capote

2005tbext

Sep 27, 2015
Robert were you able to figure it out? Mine started doing the same thing. Im only at 130k and the abs light is constantly on. The brake light is on and off so much it makes me crazy.

Realism

Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
Yeah try replacing that, another option if that doesnt work is to get someone with the ability to fire your ABS through a tech tool if you dont do it yourself. Not sure if it was on here or the old site, but there was a discussion about this exact issue.

One thing to note is the sensors on each tire, make sure they are working properly, If you have even one misbehaving you are going to throw ABS codes no matter what till you get those fixed.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I has two people say it is the ignition switch, so I will try and replace and see what happens.
Use an ACdelco one man, P/N: D1426D. I will say this though, the past 2 ACdelco ones I have installed, have crapped out on me within in a year or two of installation. There was a Lot Number that was a bad batch (discussed here or on the old site, don't remember), but I cannot remember what that number was, wish I did because then you could call them and get an exchange if you happen to of received one. A friend of mine happened to receive one of these and they sent him one from a different Lot. Anyway; out of all the brands, ACdelco is the best bet with these.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You have to get the codes from the ABS. That's the only way to really tell what the problem is.

I don't think it's a wheel sensor because I currently have that problem (sensor unplugged) and only the ABS and Stabilitrak lights are on.

Reactions: Capote

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online