NEED HELP 2005 Silverado won’t start - manual transmission.

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
Yesterday I tried to start my Silverado that had been parked for several weeks, and it was completely dead. So I put a charger on it and charged the battery. Then tried to start it, no crank. The Silverado has a 5-speed manual transmission in it, so right now I’m suspecting the clutch safety switch; which means you have depress the clutch pedal for it to start. I’ve been doing some research and found some info on by passing the switch.

I suppose I could push start it, but would still have to fix it. The truck is 120 miles away from home right now. So if it won’t start by push or jumping the switch, I’ll have to trailer it home to fix it.

Anyone had any experience with these?

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
My experience with clutch safety switches were with a simple two wire switch; which was easy, just hook the two wires together. This switch has six contacts on it.

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
When I posted this, I was looking for suggestions on getting this running and if anyone had experience with this clutch safety switch.

I remember the days of not needing to depress the clutch to start a car/truck.

If I can successfully bypass the switch, and this is the problem and will let me start the truck, that is what I’m trying to determine.

With the truck so far away from home, I don’t have the resources to troubleshoot it there.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My last experience with a manual truck was my 1980 S10 and like you said, it was a simple switch.

Maybe find the schematics and see what this switch does exactly. It could also send some sort of signal to the PCM for rev control or something.

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
What engine is in it? And it is it 4wd? I can look up the wiring diagram for you and see what needs to be jumped to bypass the clutch switch.

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
You need to jump terminals C and D. The pink and dark green wires.

Attachments

• 1A85D199-CFFD-43CB-BACE-51DDBC4CF4FA.jpeg
    1A85D199-CFFD-43CB-BACE-51DDBC4CF4FA.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 10
  • FC1A995E-36D9-4BE4-8AEE-D0555F4296E5.jpeg
    FC1A995E-36D9-4BE4-8AEE-D0555F4296E5.jpeg
    390.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Love
Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
Thanks, I'll give that a try. It will be a few days before I'll be able to drive over though.

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
Okay, I finally got back to this today.

Pulled the connector off of the Clutch Safety Switch and jumpered the two wires. Still doesn’t start. I put the charger back on it and will see what happens.

• Sad
Reactions: Redbeard

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
you should check the voltages on the two pin in that connector that was posted above to ensure that they are there before going too much further.

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
All I had was a test light; which showed that those two pins were hot. I’ll try to get a multimeter tomorrow and see if there is 12 VDC on them.

Reactions: budwich

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Did you try jumping the starter relay? That would confirm a dead starter or relay.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And also check to see if the relay is getting the signal from the PCM on the other two pins. That will tell you if the PCM is happy or not with conditions required to start.

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
I was doing some research yesterday and found out there were a couple of relays. Where would these be located? I’m going to trailer it back home today and delve into it again tomorrow.

Yesterday, we tried pulling it to start on compression, but that didn’t seem to want to work.

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
Mooseman, being an old guy and not used to all of these relays, this Silverado is the newest vehicle that I own every thing else is 1984 and older.

That said, I did a search on Silverado and starter relay and found a YouTube video with a hack to jump the starter relay at pin#87 to 12VAC; which started the truck. So I let it run for a few minutes, then shut it off. A couple of minutes later tried to start it with the key, and it started right up.

So my question now is the relay bad, or just possibly had a bad contact? Or is just magic?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Whenever it comes to ANY Intermittant Electrical Problems, it might seem like I am harping on THIS situation all the time... but in addition to having the possibility Broken Copper Wire Traces evident UNDER the two halves of the Under Hood Fuse Panel.... there is always THIS disgusting possibility to consider:

Please ... Use Great Caution if you find any signs of Rodent Infestation. The North American Deer Mouse carries the Dreaded HANTA Hemorrhagic Fever Virus (...think LASSA Fever, MARBURG and EBOLA Virus infections as all being its Cousins here).

Always Wear a well-fitting N95 Mask and use Nitrile Gloves during the removal of all Rodent Nesting, Mouse and Rat Feces and Dried Urine on Wipe Rags to avoid aspirating the infected Dust Particles in the lungs. HANTA Kills 36% of the People. it Infects.. So Please Beware and Dispose of these Materials inside Zip Lock Bags Doused with Chlorine Bleach.

...and a CORRODED FUSE...?

You Betcha'...

Eric "O" from South Main Auto in Avica, New York shows us a "Fuse Autopsy" on a Chevrolet Silverado within this familiar Fuse Box that can become the focus of this issue of suffering from Intermittent No Crank No Starts:

Last edited:
Reactions: Drec

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
Update. I was able to start the truck and drove it home (120 miles). I’ll replace the relay, as it is only about $5. The truck sat for about three weeks, it was really wet is SEATTLE then. It is possible that the contacts on the relay had corroded ; which when I removed the relay and replaced it, it worked.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
FWIW... If the Off Shore Salty Fog coming from the Pacific Ocean in the Seattle-Tacoma areas left any more of its "indelible" marks of Corrosion yet to rear its Ugly Head... eBay carries quite a few Silverado Fuse Boxes and PDC panels for its replacement... some of which are fairly inexpensive:

Reactions: Drec

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.