2005 Silverado clutch problem

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
Driving home yesterday and was shifting into 5th gear, when I hear a pop sound while depressing the clutch. I'm on the freeway about a 150 miles from home and figured if I don't have to stop I should be able to make it home. Anyway, about 60 miles later, all I can see is tail lights. So I pull off the freeway and stop. I thought that I could start it in gear and get going again, but no the neutral safety switch doesn't work like that. Climbed under the dash to find the neutral safety switch, but instead of two wires, there are six. Next I called AAA, and they showed up 15 minutes later with a ramp truck and took me all the way home. We were really lucky.

Doing some inter web searches last night, it looks like a real bear to replace the "plastic" clutch pedal and associated parts. Has anyone done this before and have suggestions on the best procedures and parts to put back into it?

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
I bought this new, with a 4.3 V6 and 5-speed. I don't think that you could buy something like this now.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Without knowing anything about it but seeing the part it doesn't look that bad....

I would guess 3 bolts, 2 on the firewall one on the column or dash support and perhaps a circ clip on the master cylinder rod with a retaining pin. Can't be any worse than the vette...

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
I watched a YouTube video, and it appeared that the dash had to be partially removed or moved out of the way to get the assembly out.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The one I read was for an 03 but they said it took about an hour... idk I've only ever seen one manual NBS pickup

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
Wow, what a job. Most of the dash bolts had to be removed to allow the dash to move back about an inch; which allowed the pedal assembly to drop down out of the way. Otherwise there would have been no way to get it out. The pedal assembly is all bolted in and hooked up. I still have to replace all of the dash pieces that I removed but should go together okay.

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
Without knowing anything about it but seeing the part it doesn't look that bad....

I would guess 3 bolts, 2 on the firewall one on the column or dash support and perhaps a circ clip on the master cylinder rod with a retaining pin. Can't be any worse than the vette...
If the dash wasn't in installed, it would only be three bolts. Then you twist the clutch slave cylinder into the pedal assembly; which is the interface that failed in the pedal design. All of the work was removing wires, dash panels, upper dash panel, to get to the dash bolts near the windshield, and dropping the column to let the dash come back far enough to get the pedal assembly out.

Drec

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
Finished the clutch pedal swap yesterday. While I had it apart, decided to put a new insert in the drivers bucket seat. I was able to find a reproduction fabric that is a perfect match to the cloth seat material. Finished the seat last night and reinstalled it. Drove the truck this morning and everything is fine.

Now I'll load the Envoy on the car trailer and take it down to the transmission shop tomorrow, to get rebuilt.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online