NEED HELP 2005 Saab 97x- How to reset new rear air suspension.

DonCorwin

Original poster
Mar 7, 2022
Auburn, maine
Need help on resetting new rear air spring system components. Leveling sensors look OK and compressor fires up from rear manual switch but not automatically when engine is on. Rear end still riding on the frame.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Need help on resetting new rear air spring system components. Leveling sensors look OK and compressor fires up from rear manual switch but not automatically when engine is on. Rear end still riding on the frame.
If the sensors and their wiring are indeed okay, your compressor needs to be replaced. There are no settings beyond the sensors.
All the logic is in the compressor unit.

DonCorwin

Original poster
Mar 7, 2022
Auburn, maine
If the sensors and their wiring are indeed okay, your compressor needs to be replaced. There are no settings beyond the sensors.
All the logic is in the compressor unit.
Compressor is a new OEM UNIT. I purchased it 2 weeks ago with the air springs. It's an exact match to the original compressor. The level sensors seem to be intact on each side but I have no clue how they tie into the system to actuate the compressor. Everything is hidden.

DonCorwin

Original poster
Mar 7, 2022
Auburn, maine
Unfortunately, the Tech 2 scanner has no selections in its software for testing the air suspension system and there is only a single 30A fuse for the system in the fuse panel under the hood. I really don't want to tear the system out and put in coils. I'm towing a fishing boat now and hvy duty springs won't level out so I'd have to use air adjustable shocks to level it.

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
When you start your vehicle, the compressor should kick in no matter what the level sensors say (at least in my experience), even if the air springs are fully inflated. If this is not happening, it has to be a wiring or fuse/relay issue. Sorry, I don't have a wiring diagram for the air suspension, but perhaps someone does.

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
Try this. Apparently the Compressor will flash - that is the diagnostic code - if something is wrong. You will need someone to start the vehicle for you. Check out the pics.

Attachments

• DTC Check Chart.PNG
    DTC Check Chart.PNG
    218.3 KB · Views: 30
  • DTC for air suspension.PNG
    DTC for air suspension.PNG
    93.1 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If it's a NEW OEM unit, it may need to be programmed. Check using the Tech 2 and Tis2000 if that option is available.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Disregard what I said about programming it. Looking at the schematics, seems it's not connected to the CANBUS. It's totally independent except for a speed signal.

DonCorwin

Original poster
Mar 7, 2022
Auburn, maine
When you start your vehicle, the compressor should kick in no matter what the level sensors say (at least in my experience), even if the air springs are fully inflated. If this is not happening, it has to be a wiring or fuse/relay issue. Sorry, I don't have a wiring diagram for the air suspension, but perhaps someone does.
There is only one fuse for the air suspension in the entire vehicle. It's a 30A mini fuse in position #1 in the main block under the hood. There are no other fuses or relays according to the manual. The compressor kicks on with the manual inflator switch in the trunk but at no other time automatically. Can't be a wiring issue. There are only 2 connectors and they have distinct shapes and pinning.

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
Disregard what I said about programming it. Looking at the schematics, seems it's not connected to the CANBUS. It's totally independent except for a speed signal.
I am not great at the wiring schematics, but could the problem be the ground
There is only one fuse for the air suspension in the entire vehicle. It's a 30A mini fuse in position #1 in the main block under the hood. There are no other fuses or relays according to the manual. The compressor kicks on with the manual inflator switch in the trunk but at no other time automatically. Can't be a wiring issue. There are only 2 connectors and they have distinct shapes and pinning.
Get in the back and watch the led on the manual inflator switch. Have someone start the vehicle. The number of flashes on the LED (1,2, or 3) is an error code that helps you diagnose the electronic suspension. Even if the compressor doesn't kick in, the LED should flash.

Reactions: DonCorwin

DonCorwin

Original poster
Mar 7, 2022
Auburn, maine
PS- This compressor is brand new OEM stock unit. Bought 2 weeks ago. The old compressor DID start with ignition to relevel the 9-7 but finally burned out trying to inflate a DRYROTTED passenger side airspring. I know all the logic controls are in the compressor. I took it to my local Saab garage and we put it up on a lift. Checked the level sensors. Both are solid and intact with not visible damage. The only thing I can think to do is to tap the leads from the leveling sensors and check continuity to the compressor from each of them. Your thoughts? NOTE: ON the fuse/relay chart for the I6 engine, there are TWO listings for A. I. R. SOLENOID but we couldn't figure out what they were for.

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
Not sure. I know that it needs a speed signal, or it will not run (the compressor doesn't run while you are driving). You are right, the logic controls are buried in the compressor. But the LED will light even if the compressor does not run, according to the wiring guide (assuming that the switch is good, and you already verified that it will inflate manually, so the manual switch must be good.) All the signals come and go through that one harness (8 pin).

DonCorwin

Original poster
Mar 7, 2022
Auburn, maine
I am not great at the wiring schematics, but could the problem be the ground

Get in the back and watch the led on the manual inflator switch. Have someone start the vehicle. The number of flashes on the LED (1,2, or 3) is an error code that helps you diagnose the electronic suspension. Even if the compressor doesn't kick in, the LED should flash.
The led comes on steady and compressor kicks on. Screwed the inflator hose on the male Schrader valve but no air pressure and not enough to push the needle out at the opposite end. Looks like the valve for the inflator isn't even opening on the inflator. My mechanic literally gave up. Matched every wire and hose connection to my old system. Could be a bad compressor. Been buying parts from Rockauto for 10 years. Never a wrong or bad part in nearly 75 orders.
If it's a NEW OEM unit, it may need to be programmed. Check using the Tech 2 and Tis2000 if that option is available.

DonCorwin

Original poster
Mar 7, 2022
Auburn, maine
The led comes on steady and compressor kicks on. Screwed the inflator hose on the male Schrader valve but no air pressure and not enough to push the needle out at the opposite end. Looks like the valve for the inflator isn't even opening on the inflator. My mechanic literally gave up. Matched every wire and hose connection to my old system. Could be a bad compressor. Been buying parts from Rockauto for 10 years. Never a wrong or bad part in nearly 75 orders.
Tried tech2 yesterday. No options for the air suspension in the software. Latest version including all 97x, all years.

DonCorwin

Original poster
Mar 7, 2022
Auburn, maine
Really don't want to pull the air ride system out and install coils with air inflatable shocks to level it just bc I'm towing a boat. Just want my nice comfy air ride and towing shocks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There are two fuses that can affect the suspension. Also check fuse 48, 15A, for the 4WD system. It uses that as its ignition signal. Check also that it has proper ground.

If it runs but doesn't produce pressure, it could be the check valve. But yours should have been new with the compressor.

Checked RockAuto and they only have Dorman compressors, not OEM. My faith in Dorman is right up there with trusting politicians. I have a feeling you got a dud.

Reactions: linneje

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Did you get the correct compressor unit ? there are two types SWB &LWB. As stated in my earlier post, all the logic is in the compressor so Tech 2s will not help.
The check valve is the only serviceable part but, this doesn't sound like your problem and servicing that has limited success .

Reactions: linneje

DonCorwin

Original poster
Mar 7, 2022
Auburn, maine
There are two fuses that can affect the suspension. Also check fuse 48, 15A, for the 4WD system. It uses that as its ignition signal. Check also that it has proper ground.

If it runs but doesn't produce pressure, it could be the check valve. But yours should have been new with the compressor.

Checked RockAuto and they only have Dorman compressors, not OEM. My faith in Dorman is right up there with trusting politicians. I have a feeling you got a dud.r
Will do on AWD fuses. Any idea what the A. I. R. SOLENOID RELAYS are for? Probably going to buy and download a full service manual today if I find one I can trust.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check the downloads for manuals in my signature. I don't think they're 9-7x specific but the wiring and mechanics is the same across the platform with only a couple of exceptions (headlights and ignition switch).

DonCorwin

Original poster
Mar 7, 2022
Auburn, maine
Will try to print hardcopy today. My son said the air suspension section is 50+ pages. Good day to do it. Blizzard right now. I'm going to order fresh hi pressure tubing and connectors from Graingers or McMaster-Carr. I have the GM kits for the 97, Bravada and Escalade and the tubing is all smaller diam than the last time I had to replace it. This time, my mechanic didn't tie down the new tubing so it laid on my exhaust pipe and melted thru so I have no idea what halves mated with what ends to the compressor and I have to redo all the tubing EXCEPT that the new tubing I ordered which actually was OEM was barely 1/8"OD and, a different material (previous material was polyethylene), and far larger diameter, like 3/32"OD. This is gonna be some fun!! Not giving up!!

DonCorwin

Original poster
Mar 7, 2022
Auburn, maine
Did you get the correct compressor unit ? there are two types SWB &LWB. As stated in my earlier post, all the logic is in the compressor so Tech 2s will not help.
The check valve is the only serviceable part but, this doesn't sound like your problem and servicing that has limited success .
Only one compressor unit available for my model of 97x. In all my years of dealing with RockAuto, never got a wrong part. Pro ably placed 75 orders.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Only one compressor unit available for my model of 97x. In all my years of dealing with RockAuto, never got a wrong part. Pro ably placed 75 orders.
Well, if your sensors/wiring are okay(as you say) and you have undying faith in RA and Dorman you might be stuck with a low rider.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Looks like we'll never know...:confused::confused::confused:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online