2005 Rear Bumper Cover

Up And Down

Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Hi,
My 2008 TrailBlazer LT needs a new complete rear bumper cover assembly, including the separate pads/inserts. I looked locally online in hopes of getting a decent color match but there’s not much available. I assume buying new from a parts place will only be primed or untouched bumpers. Is OEM the way to go with this? Are there any decent fitting aftermarket bumpers available? I wouldn’t even mind an unpainted one if the plastic was black. Will only the 02-05 covers fit my truck or will the 06-09 also fit, although the styling is different? Any and all replies are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Your only hangup would be if the metal bumper beneath the cover doesn't have the center provision for the step that comes on the earlier/LS models. Other than checking for that, all of the TB bumper covers will bolt on.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Jump on eBay and you'll find the bumper cover a lot cheaper than OEM. If you can find a certified part (CAPA, other), you can be reasonably assured that fit should be ok (mounts line up, etc.). The ancillary parts can be found other places, as needed. Junkyards are also a source.
As for paint; most of the time, they'll be listed as primed. You put the parts on, then take it to a collision place for paint; they'll blend old / new and make it look factory.

I did this a few years back w/ my front bumper. Part was sub-$200 shipped; paint was $400 or so, and it looks just as good 5yrs later as the day I got it back.
Since the part is plastic, you don't have as many worries as with a steel body part (corrosion, etc.)

There are places that will sell pre-painted, to color you specify, but it will cost just as much, and may not match. Let a shop blend it in; you'll be happier. No worries about a painted part being damaged in transit (or you scratching it while fastening it up.)

Up And Down

Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Thanks for both replies. As far as the metal bracket underneath, it’s an 05 with the step so I guess any cover will work? As far as eBay goes, is there any certain brand I should look for? I know there’s a lot of junk available online and I don’t want to get stuck with any of it.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
The thing is, there may be several different entities selling the same few brands.
I'd look for a vendor with a high feedback rating (thousands of transactions, if possible). Also look at the product ratings if available, to see if people mention improper fit, etc.

Finally, try and find a US / N. American vendor with the product in stock. You'll wait forever if it ships directly from China / Taiwan / HK (especially right now, with them battling Coronavirus) and the chances for damage in transit increase exponentially. Oh, and good luck dealing with them, post-sale.

Looks like there's a main cover, and a second lower valance that goes underneath (slotted for the tailpipe on the P/S). Plus the rubberized step trim, etc.

If you want to stay away from eBay, Parts Geek and Car-Part are potential sources (Car-Part is a salvage aggregator, so I doubt you'll find a 'brand new' part there). Both charge for shipping, so that's a factor.

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You can also get them from Amazon, I have a few 06 LT options saved to a wish list. Not eligible for Prime, but you can get free domestic shipping options. :twocents:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online