NEED HELP 2005 envoy xl bose with amp.with aftermarket headunit

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Hi. Envoy xl. With bose speakers and amp. the head unit is aftermarket. The sound was bad and making some noise and buzzing . The rear speaker's sound is very very bad.
The front was little fine. So I removed the headunit to check the wires (because some times if I pushed the unit back the buzzing and noise go away)
So I found the wires was spliced and tapped padway.
I spent hours searching and reading the wiring diagram.
Its different than what I have .
The current installation and wiring was reversed the front and the rear. So I corrected that but iam still having bad sound and bass. And the rear speakers is still very bad.
Is it related to the low Level wiring?
Any help please. And if anyone have a wiring diagram that will help allot.
Envoy xl. Amp/bose speakers/ dash speakers. /no rear seat audio control.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Is there a wiring adapter in line with this radio? If not, this is likely your problem. It would look similar the image below... I dont think this is the exact unit, just a quick image I found. Its the blue box, depending on manufacture, it could be black as well.

GM Car Stereo Radio Installation Install Wiring Harness Interface Bose +  Onstar | eBay

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
Is there a wiring adapter in line with this radio? If not, this is likely your problem. It would look similar the image below... I dont think this is the exact unit, just a quick image I found. Its the blue box, depending on manufacture, it could be black as well.

GM Car Stereo Radio Installation Install Wiring Harness Interface Bose +  Onstar | eBay
No. Nothing. No adapters. Should I have it ?
I don't have steering wheel buttons.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
As far as I know, you need the block above for correct integration with the Bose system. Steering wheel controls are irrelevant, its because of the Bose system you need it.

I will admit, I have not upgraded my factory radio except to swap from a factory 6 disc to a factory NAV. But I have read quite a few threads on the forum here, just a few threads down from this one, they are talking about a Bose system, with a aftermarket radio.

So lets start there. Open your glove box, on the inside of the lid, you will find the RPO sheet for your truck. Do you have a UQA?

Reactions: yazan

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
All I know, per your first post, is its a Envoy XL, dont know what year, as they do change. I am going to assume its a 2002? (edit in my second post, just saw the year is a 2005)

So you will need the integrator box, and if wanted, chime module, and usually you would need the On-Star integrator, but since you have a 2002, dont worry about it (its analog anyways, and doesnt work).

Now which kit you need, I dont know. You could always bypass the amp, but that does entail quite a bit of extra work (wiring).

According to this website, there are a lot of options available..
== Deleted - Wrong Info Input==

That being said, if you have steering wheel controls, and want to retain them, its one box. If you dont have steering wheel controls, its another (much cheaper) box.

You will have to read thru the options, and decide if PAC is the one you want, and which one. There are other manufactures besides PAC. Theres also SCOSCHE, CRUX, and more.

Someone else on the forum that has more knowledge than I can advise you better than I can on that. I have not done aftermarket radio in my Envoy, so I dont know which one I would need, or you would need.

You also have to hope that running the watt power thru the system has not fried the amp. I dont think it would, but the amp was never designed for those type of signals.

You could always go back to a factory radio?
6CD
==Deleted - Wrong radio link==

Factory Nav is also a option, but not really worth it to some. Most of what everyone does is thru their phones anymore.

Yes you can add a bluetooth module to a factory radio. I have one in my Envoy with factory nav, and in my Aztek with a 6CD.

Just giving you an option

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I will be adding a second post here in a sec, as the info I used for the post above was for a 2002, and you have a 2005, which for a UQA system means it has changed (change year was 2004.5)

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
All I know, per your first post, is its a Envoy XL, dont know what year, as they do change. I am going to assume its a 2002? (edit in my second post, just saw the year is a 2005)

So you will need the integrator box, and if wanted, chime module, and usually you would need the On-Star integrator, but since you have a 2002, dont worry about it (its analog anyways, and doesnt work).

Now which kit you need, I dont know. You could always bypass the amp, but that does entail quite a bit of extra work (wiring).

According to this website, there are a lot of options available..

That being said, if you have steering wheel controls, and want to retain them, its one box. If you dont have steering wheel controls, its another (much cheaper) box.

You will have to read thru the options, and decide if PAC is the one you want, and which one. There are other manufactures besides PAC. Theres also SCOSCHE, CRUX, and more.

Someone else on the forum that has more knowledge than I can advise you better than I can on that. I have not done aftermarket radio in my Envoy, so I dont know which one I would need, or you would need.

You also have to hope that running the watt power thru the system has not fried the amp. I dont think it would, but the amp was never designed for those type of signals.

You could always go back to a factory radio?
6CD

Factory Nav is also a option, but not really worth it to some. Most of what everyone does is thru their phones anymore.

Yes you can add a bluetooth module to a factory radio. I have one in my Envoy with factory nav, and in my Aztek with a 6CD.

Just giving you an option
Thanks for the helpful replay.
Its 2005 ext envoy with bose and amp. But I bought the envoy without .. So i bought an aftermarket headunit.
I dont have steering wheel control. And don't need the onstar .
I have previously bad time with axxess adapters. In my old trailblazer. 02

Any recommendations for adapter specific nodel .is deeply appreciated

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I used a Scosche box from wallymart. Two years and it's OK.
With an aftermarket radio, I typically bypass the bose electronics and replace the 2ohm speakers with normal 4ohm units. Often when there is a problem with the bose system bad enough to replace the head unit there are other problems as well.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@Mooseman - He has another odd one, Bose UQA without steering wheel controls... Whats the world coming to! LOL

So the first question I have to ask, is your factory radio wiring harness end still there? It would look like this...
Metra® - Factory Replacement Wiring Harness with OEM Radio Plug

If not, your going to be in a bit of hurt, as most aftermarket harness adapters require those to wire in.. You will likely have to go to a salvage yard, and solder/heat shrink in a factory wiring harness end.

If it is still there, be thankful, and it makes things a lot easier..

Driven strictly on pricing.. I would probably go with this one..

Provides interface, chime retention, and allows for amp retention.

If it was me thou. I would go back to a factory radio... They are available, and are plug and play when unlocked.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would definitely stay away from Metra/Axxess adapters as I have had two fail on me. I've had a Scosche in my non-Bose TB for 3 years and no issues. PAC audio are definitely well built and last and have used them in my old Bose TB and the Saab.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@Mooseman - Forgive me here, my brain is not running on all 8 today..

For his 2005 with bose, is he going to have the CAN-BUS system, or the Class2? I know one is referred to as the LUX smart system, and the Non-LUX dumb system. If my memory serves me correctly, its the Class2.

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
@Mooseman - He has another odd one, Bose UQA without steering wheel controls... Whats the world coming to! LOL

So the first question I have to ask, is your factory radio wiring harness end still there? It would look like this...
Metra® - Factory Replacement Wiring Harness with OEM Radio Plug

If not, your going to be in a bit of hurt, as most aftermarket harness adapters require those to wire in.. You will likely have to go to a salvage yard, and solder/heat shrink in a factory wiring harness end.

If it is still there, be thankful, and it makes things a lot easier..

Driven strictly on pricing.. I would probably go with this one..

Provides interface, chime retention, and allows for amp retention.

If it was me thou. I would go back to a factory radio... They are available, and are plug and play when unlocked.
Ues the harness still there. They are different from what I found in Google.
There is a 24 pin light grey and 12 way pin connector. Many wiring diagram I found in the Internet is not identical in wires colors whith what I have.
Thanks for the link and advise.
I will contact the old owner if he still have it.

yazan

Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
I would definitely stay away from Metra/Axxess adapters as I have had two fail on me. I've had a Scosche in my non-Bose TB for 3 years and no issues. PAC audio are definitely well built and last and have used them in my old Bose TB and the Saab.
I had problems previously in my tb. And I posted a topic here and you asked me if I have any adapters. And you was ture.I had axxess metra adapter.
I can't control the windows and ia was ticking and making funny things.
Thanks with deep respect

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online