2005 Envoy SLE 4x4. A little under 40 k miles. What would you pay?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Hi All,
Located a beautiful garage kept Envoy described above. California car. It appears to be in beautiful condition based on the photos. They are asking $12,000.00 Overpriced as far as I'm concerned but.....What is the most you would pay for it? Blue book is around $8K....Thanks for any input.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Basing off your description, I believe it would be solid, reliable transportation for quite sometime. Will this be a daily driver?

I wouldn't hesitate to offer full KBB value and possibly round up a little bit.

When you get to the $12K mark for a 18 YO vehicle like the one in question, that's when you start considering a 10YO full-size, like a Tahoe or Suburban which will get about the same MPG.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
It would be to replace my 2002 Envoy SLT 4x4 with 180K miles. I use my current Envoy only on weekend camping trips and towing an 18 ft Sea Ray to the lake and river. I just don't know how many miles are left in my current Envoy.

It runs perfectly and I regularly get 17-20 mpg on trips. It has been meticulously taken care of by me for the last 12 years and previous owner was a GMC employee and friend that also took excellent care of it. It has an aftermarket transmission cooler but everything else is stock.

Your point of a Tahoe or Surburban is well noted and true. I hadn't thought about that and is something to consider. The thought of a newer Envoy with low miles just got me thinking.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
An 05 with 40K miles won't come around too often.

Consider the sheer size of a full-size SUV, some don't fit in garages that aren't void of much of the usable space.

If you have kept up on your transmission filter changes and at the very least a pan-drop fluid change the Envoy should go for quite awhile.

A 1-owner vehicle that sees on average less than 2K miles per year is a hard pass for the right price.

I'd surely want to own it, but $12K buys a lot of vehicle.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Worst thing you can do to a car is let it sit. 4k miles a year for 10 yrs and now going to start driving it daily?? Dont get me wrong Id jump at the opportunity to own it but you can be sure your going to be replacing parts left and right for the next couple of years. You start driving it daily and every piece of rubber and seal it on it will be giving up the ghost in record time.
Things like the window cables that have hardly been used are going to pop with daily use.
Call me Mr. Negative but Id wouldnt be in a hurry to part with Ol'reliable you have already. Gotta feeling you'll need it to get ya where your going a lot while this new 1 is down for repairs....

Dadwagon

May 21, 2020
West coast
Chiming in with a similar year vehicle. There will be parts aging to the point that they will fail and it will be no fault of yours, anything plastic and not solid-state on these cars do tend to fall apart and need replacing. If you keep that in mind and know you have a low-mile transmission that will take thousands of miles before failure, I hate to say the price is right if you know what you are getting. $12k buys very little in the SUV genre in 2021 no matter what prices we are all used to, especially one with mechanical 4x4 transfer case/diffs (lots of model year 2021 4WD vehicles will have brakes and software working in place of a mechanical diff).

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
12k buys a lot.. if it was a V8, maybe 10k? But it would need to be a Denali for me.

I just paid 10k for a Escalade with 80k miles, AT A GM DEALER! And thats a whole lot more truck than a Envoy.

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
Every penny you pay over book value is a big gamble. If someone were to buy that for 12k and get into an accident, regardless of fault, the insurance company will only pay book value, maybe even high book, it's 3k - 4k loss. Can you drive 12k out of a car with 40 on the clock? Heck yeah! It would probably end up being a cheap ride in the end.
I would be skeptical of this, and want a car fax, where you can see the miles gradually go up. Was it wrecked an fixed off the books? That could account for long periods of idle time.

Reactions: gmcman and Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online