2005 Envoy ABS Issue

snowymountains

Original poster
May 18, 2015
I'm having an issue with my father in-laws 2005 4x4 Envoy.

The ABS light came on a while back and I just didn't have the time to look at it. A few weeks ago it started to pulsate every time you hit the brakes.

So finally got around to it last weekend. I have ScanXl and am unable to connect to the ABS system. I can connect to all other systems.

So I checked the usual ground under the drivers seat. That looked pretty good but I cleaned it up anyways. Didn't do anything.

So that it would stop pulsating until I figured out the problem I pulled the 60amp fuse. However, at higher speeds when you apply the brake it still pulsates. I thought by yanking the fuse that it wouldn't do this.

I am thinking the controller but thought I would seek opinions. I attempted to take off the controller but the darn torx screws are filled with crap and the clearance between the floor and controller is such that I can't get anything in there to loosen the ones closest to the frame. Looks like I'd have to take the whole assemble off.

Would love to hear anyones thoughts.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
If it is happening without the fuse in there is a good chance that you have a warped rotor up front. The front brakes take a lot of the power used for stopping.

snowymountains

Original poster
May 18, 2015
It was a warped rotor.

I replaced the ECBM (ABS controller) with a used one that was known to be good.

Still have an ABS light. I still cannot connect to the ABS system with my ProScan XL software.
I can connect to all other systems.

I tried issuing command via the terminal but nothing is returned. I went by this post on this forum.
http://gmtnation.com/forums/topic/4947-how-to-read-abstccmpcm-codes-using-a-terminal-obdii-interface/

Maybe its because the code examples are not relevant to a 2005 Envoy?

I have voltage and good grounds.
I continuity checked the wiring.

About ready to shoot it :smile:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online