2005 Buick Rainier CXL Looking to buy / what to look for?

Furious92

Original poster
Aug 18, 2018
Ohio
So my Envoy recently threw a rod bearing, and I've been on the hunt for another since the dreaded day. I found a really nice 2005 Buick Rainier CXL fully loaded with around 60k miles on it. 1 owner, pics of it look really good/clean.

Just wondering other than the obvious things to look for, what are some things I should be on the look out for when I go see it tomorrow. It's listed for $6k I'm going to try and haggle a bit, bit with the used car market going crazy I don't know how much wiggle room he has but it's worth a shot. Thanks in advance guys!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The Rainier is pretty much the same as a TB or Envoy. Not really anything specific to look for except the usual stuff like brakes and ball joints or if there are any lights or codes. Sounds like it wasn't driven much so check that the brake rotors aren't rusted. If it's a 4.2, the water pump should be checked for leaking or a loose/noisy bearing. Listen for wheel bearing noise during the test drive or any brake pulling, which could indicate something loose in the steering or a seizing caliper. Since it's not a selectable 4x4 but a part-time AWD, you can't really test that system unless on a really slippery surface and flooring it, something the owner may not appreciate.

Reactions: Matt

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If your looking for AWD, make sure it has a transfer case. These did come as RWD too.

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online