2004 trailblazer no start till turn headlight switch

Lil' b

Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
Savannah GA
Start off I'm a tech at a shop that specializes in wiring issues. A customer has brought in an 04 Trailblazer with a really odd issue and I'm wondering if any of the deep knowledge people have heard of anything like this. Let the truck sit for a period, get in turn key no start no spin. Doesn't matter where you put the shifter same thing. Headlight switch has an LED that's amber. Turn counter clockwise and LED turns green. Release switch, now turn key and starts as normal. Allow time to sit and returns to no spin/amber LED. It had an aftermarket alarm, that's removed now and wires repaired. Also had a code/health reader on OBD2 port, no longer in place. Anybody had similar happen?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:confused: That's a new one on me. So after removing the alarm system and code reader, you still need the headlight override switch to start the truck? What happens if you disconnect the plugs on the back of the headlight switch assembly? Does the starter crank at all then?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I thought I had heard of a similar issue but it was actually the other way around where it would stall when the high beams were activated:

Turned out to be a grounding issue. Maybe the same on this one?

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
It definitely sounds like a wiring issue. I'm wondering which system it's grounding out with though. The anti-theft system or the starter. Can or did you verify that you hear the fuel pump priming?

I'm not sure if grounding out with the anti-theft system would or would not turn the security light on though.

I would check to see where/if there is a 5v reference loss in one of those systems though to narrow the search down. Just some thoughts of mine. Seems like a rough one to troubleshoot.

Lil' b

Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
Savannah GA
I'm not the only tech on this one either. Just got confirmation that cluster and light switch were also swapped before I was called on. Yes sir this is a good one. It takes about an hour to set. As long as you are driving it or messing with the key it won't set. Turn the key off and walk away for an hour it does.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I was just looking at the ground distribution page (pages 65-76) in the service manual. It looks like (from what I've found so far) the headlamps and the ignition switch alarm share tan wire. The headlamps also share a ground with the park/neutral safety switch.

It looks like that headlamp switch is running off of the G201 ground. I would bet that it's somewhere in between the ignition switch and the headlamp switch though.

I've seen that before from South Main Auto on a trailblazer. The wires that connect to the ignition switch connector become lose fairly frequently from what I've seen at least. When it's a no start/no crank issue that is.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
"oh my kingdom for a multimeter" :smile:

you might be wise to check for some voltages (and grounds) at some places along the start circuit. My guess right now is that the pcm is not getting the proper voltage conditions to satisfy its operational checks which then prevent it from sending a ground to pull up the start relay.... but that is just a guess without ANY info on electrical conditions in the circuit.

As for the other observations with the light switch, check which voltages are showing up where on the switch and compare to a circuit diagram to see what would be normal at what time / state where they come from. It might give you a clue as to where things sit.

further... of course, there is also the "usual suspect" of the ignition switch is bad... a common failure for this vehicle along with a less than good battery... the initial indicator at key on with the "battery" lit isn't a good sign.... probably a bad connection at the battery terminals.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
To assist you with Wire Tracing to and from the PCM... View Post #4 in this Link:

...and if a Parasitic Draw becomes involved:

...and if you are deciphering the removed wiring of an off-brand Remote Starter or Alarm System:

Reactions: Maverick6587

Lil' b

Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
Savannah GA
:confused: That's a new one on me. So after removing the alarm system and code reader, you still need the headlight override switch to start the truck? What happens if you disconnect the plugs on the back of the headlight switch assembly? Does the starter crank at all then?
With the headlight switch unplugged there seems to be no problem, it doesn't set. Cluster goes through all the cycles and it starts. There is another switch coming but I'm going to look into the ground and power in this area in more detail.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
With the headlight switch unplugged there seems to be no problem, it doesn't set. Cluster goes through all the cycles and it starts. There is another switch coming but I'm going to look into the ground and power in this area in more detail.

That's good, then at least now you have a more targeted list of circuits to trace through, if the power and ground sources don't reveal anything.

Reactions: Lil' b

Rockken

Jan 30, 2022
Ca
Sorry I am new here not sure if this thread is even active anymore but long story short I am having the same issue was wondering if anyone figured out the problem. Thank you

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Sorry I am new here not sure if this thread is even active anymore but long story short I am having the same issue was wondering if anyone figured out the problem. Thank you

The OP said the problem went away after disconnecting the headlight control switch, and had a new one on the way. Since they haven't been back to the site since that post, I assume that was the issue. Have you tried that test yet?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Check out this entire Epic Thread... but pay particular attention to Post #5 concerning the attached image showing the Shared Ground of G-107 the Left Headlight, the Left Turn Signal AND the Fuel Pump Relay that all conspire to cause the Fuel Pump Relay to Drop Out and Stall the Engine if the Ground at G-107 on the Driver's Side of the Engine Block is either Corroded or Loose:

Check the related Under Hood Power Distribution Center Fuses and Fuel Pump Relay Pins for any signs of Electrolytic or Galvanic Corrosion as well.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.