2004 envoy xuv 4.2l suddenly wont start but cranks

Waway

Original poster
My ‘04 xuv suddenly wont start. I just parked it. When i decided to go it initially hesitated to start. I start it again and again and it just wont start. Hooked up an Obd2 reader and it came out with a p1202, p2119 and p1608 error codes. What should i do to fix this? I wanted to clean the throttle body i scared that i have to reprogram something. If i have to reprogram something can i do it on my own or it have to be in the dealership? Please help

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
p1202 is something called the gas mass sensor. Never heard of that. Are you sure of this code?

p2119 Throttle closed system performance. Never heard of this one neither. Without an advanced scanner, it's impossible to verify if it's the throttle body itself or the pedal sensor. Given the code, I'd try cleaning the throttle body as per this thread:
How to clean your throttle body

p1608 Serial Communication Problem With Device 8 however I was not able to find anything related to this platform. Do you mean P1680? If so, then it might be related:

After cleaning the throttle and disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes, recheck if it starts and for codes.

Waway

Original poster
My bad. It is p1201 and p1680. I haven’t done anything except cranking it to get it started. I got frustrated as its already late and i have to go to work at 7:00 am that day. Never thought of the starting fluid. I’ll try all your suggestions this weekend after my night shift and hope i’ll get it working.
Thank you so much for your reply guys. I had more idea on what to do now.
I’ll get you posted.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
P1201 isn't any better. Seems to be only for 2014-2018 Silverados

The other two codes seem to be related to the throttle. Did you get a Reduced Engine Power light? Since yours in an '04, it might be affected by the service bulletin in that thread I linked from TV. If that's the case, the PCM may need to be reflashed according to the service bulletin. However, to confirm, you may need to check the resistance of the throttle body:

If the resistance of the accelerator pedal position sensor is within the specifications shown in the Service Information and the vehicle was built after the following VIN breakpoints, then replace the PCM. If the resistance of the accelerator pedal position sensor is outside the specifications shown in the Service Information, then continue with the diagnostics for DTC P1680.
The specs should be in the manuals. The link is in my signature.

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
P1201 can also be "Injector Circuit Open / Shorted - Cylinder #1". Was the PCM ever disconnected? If so you might want to clean & reseat the connector.

Waway

Original poster
Finally got the car running. I have to replace the throttle body. It seems like something had broken inside the TPS that made the throttle shut and wont open. I cant even open it or make it move when i press it with my fingers. Anyways thank you so much for your replies/advice guys.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher