2004 Envoy SLT Code P0016

kmanz1

Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Hello, folks. Been a while. I took the plunge and did the dreaded valve cover gasket repair on my 2004 Envoy SLT, 4.2L. No need to go into the nasty details. However, upon restarting the vehicle, it gave the P0016 code, (camshaft position correlation). Note that the PCM and battery were disconnected for two days. I did notice that the VVT solenoidr(camshaft position solenoid, not the CMP), had oil where the electrical connection is. I don't think I even disconnected the CMP, which doesn't mean anything because the power was dieconnected. Is there a relearn after so many drive cycles, or do I need to take this to the dealer for a reprogram? When I clear the code, the engine does increase in rpm to 700 which is normal for my vehicle. When I shut down and restart a couple of times, the code returns and the rpm is about 600 and has a slight stumble on acceleration from a stop. I rechecked all connections at least twice. I have a hard time believing that the VVT sensor decided to go at this particular time. Hope someone can help.
Thanks,
Ken

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Oil in the CPAS connector is a sign of its failure. Might as well replace it (Delphi or ACDelco). If that doesn't fix it, try replacing the cam sensor. it's not expensive and easy to do. If no bueno, try to find a shop with a high end scanner or Tech 2 to do a CASE relearn. After that, you're looking at the cam phaser and/or the timing chain.

How many miles?

kmanz1

Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Oil in the CPAS connector is a sign of its failure. Might as well replace it (Delphi or ACDelco). If that doesn't fix it, try replacing the cam sensor. it's not expensive and easy to do. If no bueno, try to find a shop with a high end scanner or Tech 2 to do a CASE relearn. After that, you're looking at the cam phaser and/or the timing chain.

How many miles?
Mooseman, thanks so much for your reply. There are 120k miles on the vehicle. I didn't think the CPAS would give a P0016 code, but as you say it needs replacing. I will also replace the cam sensor. So you don't think more drive cycles is the answer? Thanks, Ken

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So you don't think more drive cycles is the answer? Thanks, Ken

Change one part and clear the codes. Drive a while and see if the code returns. Then try the next thing and repeat.

Just do one part at a time so we know which one fixes it.

kmanz1

Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Change one part and clear the codes. Drive a while and see if the code returns. Then try the next thing and repeat.

Just do one part at a time so we know which one fixes it.
Will do. Thanks again.

kmanz1

Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Mooseman,
I did as you suggested and just replaced the cam/crank sensor. However, I did order the cam sensor also just in case. Before, after clearing the code and then two start cycles the code would return. After replacement, I have started the car multiple times and have driven the car. No code.
Hopefully it will stay that way. I also thoroughly cleaned the weather pack connector as it was oil contaminated. It's just amazing that there was no code before I did the manifold gasket and then after the repair there was a code. I thought for sure I would need a CASE relearn. Thanks again to you and GMTNation for the help. Ken

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Most of the time, you do need a CASE relearn. You might be lucky and get away with it. :cool:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online