2004 Cadillac SRX v8

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So I am entertaining the idea of buying one of these local to me.

It needs some work, transfer case needs a rebuild, about $80 bucks. Needs a windshield. But other wise it's straight and clean, with 127k miles.

He's asking more than it's worth, but I talked him down to a price I'm comfortable with.

Opinions?

Yes, this is still a GMT believe it or not. GMT265

• Love
Reactions: northcreek

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Isn't it equipped with the infamous Northstar engine? It ain't no LS engine.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And since it's a Cadillac only platform, there aren't any cheap parts for it.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Isn't it equipped with the infamous Northstar engine? It ain't no LS engine.
It is equipped with the Northstar. A Re-Engineered N* because it shares its engine with the XLR

And since it's a Cadillac only platform, there aren't any cheap parts for it.
From what I can tell, its almost cheaper to buy a spare SRX. They are cheaper, when not running, than a GMT360.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And who knows what else?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Also check on the cost of that windshield. Again, being a single vehicle platform with likely lower production numbers, may be more expensive. Could be the reason he's selling it.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I always liked this style. Yes, I think they are asking to much. Needs a windshield AND a transfer case?
It doesnt need a transfer case, it needs a transfer case chain. Apparently, its a very common problem on these. a new chain is 60ish bucks, plus time and fluid. I have not seen the truck, thinking about going to look at it tommorow.
All things considered, why not make an offer. $1500
I talked him down a lot, would like to get another 500 off, but I am not uncomfortable with the price I got him down to, as long as the rest of the truck checks out.
Also check on the cost of that windshield. Again, being a single vehicle platform with likely lower production numbers, may be more expensive. Could be the reason he's selling it.
I did, its a bit expensive, but LOADS cheaper than my Aztek. SRX, 400. Aztek, 1800.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
It is equipped with the Northstar. A Re-Engineered N* because it shares its engine with the XLR
Does re-engineered mean that they have remedied the head bolt problem that was common in these engines?

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
After 2004/05 the fix was to move from fine threaded bolts to coarse like LS motors.....or so the myth goes.

There is a nice kit to fix the pre 2005 engines if you don't mind the work.

Reactions: azswiss

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Does re-engineered mean that they have remedied the head bolt problem that was common in these engines?
Yes the bolts are "Fixed" for the 04 SRX. Although head gaskets are still a infrequent problem with them.

I think I am going to pass on it. As much as I like them, I just dont know that I want a model that is Cadillac only, not common, etc.

I am thinking about a Volvo XC90 V8 thou.. If not a TBSS/Aero, or a Durango RT. Porsche Cayenne, but if I am thinking this way about an SRX, its even worse for the Cayenne.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online

No members online now.