2003 trailblazer will not start

lrrussitano

Original poster
Sep 7, 2013
Had to have my tb jumped by AAA a few times for a bad battery, yesterday same thing happened again called AAA to jump start my tb and he tried 2 jump boxes and cables and nothing the AAA guy said I had a froze pulley system that was not allowing the engine to crank anyone have a thought on what that system maybe? Thanx a bunch

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Assuming your oil level is good and the crankshaft isn't frozen, it has to be something spun up by the serpentine belt. Remove the belt and spin things by hand. The things with pulleys include the AC compressor, alternator, power steering pump, idler pulley, tensioner pulley, and water pump.

That assumes the AAA guy is a competent diagnostician. He may be wrong, and you have a bad starter, wiring connection, starter relay or ignition switch.

By the way, my understanding is that AAA will cancel you if you have more than 4 call-outs in a year. Any reason you didn't just get a new battery or a jump-start box of your own after the first incident? If your battery is good and you keep running it down, how is that happening? If the reason for the run-down is a mystery, you may have a parasitic current drain and that's a problem that needs to be troubleshot.

lrrussitano

Original poster
Sep 7, 2013
The issue started at the beginning of the week and could not get anywhere during business hours because of work I did buy a jump box that just did not work at all which lead me to again call AAA The start and soliniod (apoligies for terriable spelling) was replaced less than a yr ago had no issues last week at all fuel is kicking in I can hear it lights all wok radio ect. However when the AAA attempted to jumpstart my Boyfriend noticed that the AAA guy used the jump points at the fuse box and attached the cables wrong he attached black to black on th side post and then the red to the black at the jump point and then he stated it was the froze pulley system

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The AAA guy is an incompetent idiot, then. There ARE NO jump points on the fuse block. You have to use the battery bolt

What he might have done was blow your megafuse, which will take out interior lights and radio, but not cause a failure to start. Odd that you report your radio still works. Recommend you check the voltage at either side of the megafuse with a meter, then decide if you want a more competent mechanic than the AAA goofball to look at it with some competence. Your boyfriend should have stopped the guy if he wasn't confident in the process.

What's the behavior of your jump box that makes you think it isn't working?

You can still remove the belt to check the pulleys. Or get AAA to tow it to somebody like an independent mechanic with good local reviews.

megafuse1-orig.jpg

lrrussitano

Original poster
Sep 7, 2013
My jump box after fully charging didnt even have a spark at all
I am having it towed to shop in the morning I am trying to just get a idea of what could be wrong with I am somewhat mechanically skilled for a girl lol and can do some minor stuff was hoping to get a idea if it would be something I could tackle myself its just a odd thing was fine a week ago and then this started on Tuesday had the alternator,starter checked and meter said both were in good working order

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
If your jump box is like mine, there is a dial to turn to "START" , this is so you can hook up the leads with less chance of sparking. Once attached to the battery, then you turn the dial or switch to "START". There will not be any current from the jump box until you basically turn it on.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I would also be rather upset if my wifey told me the AAA person hooked up the jumper cables the way he did. I would call AAA, find out who came to her rescue, and have them educate him on proper hookup to avoid possibly damaging someone else's vehicle. These electronics are expensive and I would actually call AAA just to report the incident in case anything happens down the road. Not to be a tattle-tale but they should have more knowledge of this since this is what they do as a profession.

lrrussitano

Original poster
Sep 7, 2013
Yes there is a button on it and when we pressed it to turn on we still got nothing and I was surprised it is a 500 amp jumper but it didnt do a darn thing I attempting to get a video how how it sounds before dont have enough juice in the battery to even roll up the windows now going to attempt the jump bo one more time so I can hopefully post a vid on here

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
What jump box is it? I have a button on mine and it shows the state of charge. I just want to be sure. Take a 8MM (I believe) socket or wrench and check the battery leads, can you move the leads at the battery at all, back and forth? Should be mounted solid, but sometimes one of the leads gets corroded and a clean contact makes all the difference.

lrrussitano

Original poster
Sep 7, 2013
The jumpbox is a Schumacher 500 amp model

we did check the leads and there is no play in them and they have been cleaned as well
I have never encountered a issue like this before and I have owned chevy my entire driving life

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I looked at you charger and there is a switch and a knob, is that correct? I would do what was suggested and first remove the belt (very easy) and see if anything is frozen. Does the solenoid make a "clunk" when the key is turned? Keep in mind the ignition switch is notoriously problematic with these vehicles, some never die but most have or will.

Welcome to the site and you have a great SUV, problem is likely simple and we will find it.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Sounds like you may just have a bad battery or, corrosion behind the connections that aren't visible.

Where in Syracuse are you, there is an Interstate batteries at: 393 N Collingwood Ave, Phone:sadcry:315) 437-9075 closed on Sundays but generally if you take them your battery, they will usually give you a loaner (but you need to call to confirm) while they check yours out overnight after a complete charge.

How old is that battery?

Can you see the ground wires from the battery, any broken or severely corroded, what about the large red cable going to the starter?

Do you get a "click" from the relay under the hood when you turn the key to 'Start"

lrrussitano

Original poster
Sep 7, 2013
Thanx everyone for the help! As for Harbor Freight unfortunately there isnt one near me at all we did try our jumpbox one last time this morning after letting it charge for about 30 hours and it still doesn't do a darn thing even tried on just a lawn tractor battery and nothing I hate to say but the tow truck will be here shortly to take it to a local shop Ill post the results later today hopefully best wishes to all and thanx again!

I have also attached a pic of my jumpbox I wouldnt suggest anyone buy one of these

Attachments

• 0929131643.jpg
    0929131643.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 2

smokey262

Sep 15, 2013
I have never wanted to buy one of those things because of the finite life of the battery. I just use a regular car battery. I replace my batteries when they are four years old and keep the old one. With multiple vehicles I use the worst/oldest one as the core when I get a new one.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
When the tow truck driver arrives ask him to put his jumper cables on and see if it starts you may even need to tap on the starter or the solenoid

lrrussitano

Original poster
Sep 7, 2013
Well guys its the barrings in the engine are gone needs a new engine so my poor truck is going for trade i guess thanx for all the help guys

lrrussitano

Original poster
Sep 7, 2013
There was kind of like a shimmy and whining noise and a tick that has always been there for as long as Ive owned the truck but the little shimmy and whining noise didnt start till after we had to have it jumped the first time I have had a engine blow on me before and I did not notice any indication that was at all the case

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Did you ever remove the serpentine belt you did not reply to that and also try starting it in neutral

- - - Updated - - -

Multiple replies because my phone is a little screwy but the reason to start it neutral is to rule out anything like in the transmission

lrrussitano

Original poster
Sep 7, 2013
We did remove and seemed to move okay by hand was not able to post last night power was on and off in my area and tried to start again several time but nothing so for now my poor girl will be towed home from the shop later today and my brother the master mind that he is is going to make sellable and i am going to upgrade to something alittle newer i suppose

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online