2003 trailblazer 4.2l I6 will not start with remote when cold

hawkeye405

Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Chicago
I recently did a visual inspection of all the fuses in the engine compartment because a check engine light showed a fuse issue. I replaced a bad cigarette lighter fuse and the check engine light turned off. Now the engine will not stay running when I use the remote start. It stars and dies, starts and dies but starts and runs when I use the key.

Any ideas what would cause this?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If it was a security issue, it would not even crank.

Is the security light on? Is the CEL on? Did you erase the code(s)? What were they?

hawkeye405

Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Chicago
No security light and I didn't check codes because it starts right up with the key. I wonder if this has something to do with me removing fuses to check continuity. It also starts with the remote after the tb warms up a bit ...... like when I start it with the key, let it run for a few minutes and turn it off. then the remote start will start the truck right up and it will stay running.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
More than likely something with the remote start itself. Maybe it's not keeping the fuel pump or ignition on after startup.

If you just flick the key to start, the starter should keep going until it starts (or eventually stops if it fails to start). Does that work?

hawkeye405

Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Chicago
Just an update here. Turns out that the problem wasn't the remote start unit at all but rather the rear LED running and brake lights. The wierd thing is that after the new remote start unit was installed, it worked fine for a week. Then it began not keeping the truck running after it stated again. It came down to the installation of the rear running and brake light LEDs. I reinstalled the original bulbs and the remote start began to work like it's supposed to. Can someone explain why this is and how to get around this situation please?

Miro

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe a back feed to the brake switch? Don't aftermarket remote starts use it?

hawkeye405

Original poster
Apr 9, 2015
Chicago
They do. Tapping the brake pedal without the key in the ignition and turned on will cut the engine. How can I go around this?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Diodes?

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online