2003 Silverado ticking noise

kmanz1

Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Hello, all,
I have posted here before concerning my Envoy and really appreciated the help. Now, as they say, as your kids get bigger, so do the problems. Well, here it goes. My son purchased a 2003 Silverado 1500 4WD with a 4.8L. As some of you know, some engines had head casting issues from Castech. Well, guess what we got? Yes. An engine with bad heads. the truck has 127000 miles but he had to have it. The vehicle came with no warranty. Overall, the truck was in very good shape. A short time after purchase he started having to add coolant very often. It was not showing out the tailpipe. Research indicated the aforementioned issue.What happens is the coolant leaks into the area of the rockers due to poor casting but does not leak into the combustion. It mixes with the oil. We decided to take a chance and buy rebuilt heads. The thought of purchasing another engine or having someone else do the job was not financially acceptable. Not an easy job. We changed the oil prior to the tear down. The oil would barely flow at first. Once it did, globs of congealed oil came out. There was a slight tick before we tore it down. When we completed the job and started the engine, the tick was there, but louder. I blew air out of all the lifters but did not use solvent. They were then soaked in oil overnight. I noticed one lifter did not have air coming out the side hole of the lifter. I did get some air to flow eventually, but not as well as the others. I believe I adjusted the rockers correctly. Today, my son drove the truck and the noise got louder and pulled a code for no. 8 cylinder misfire. He drove the truck home and parked it.
Sorry for the long story. My questions are, Is it possible that I did not adjust the valve(s) correctly? Is it possible that it is a bad crankshaft or rod bearing? Could it be that one lifter that gave me a problem? As I stated earlier, we decided to do the work ourselves as we couldn't afford a reman engine or have someone else do the heads. If the tick is anything other than an improperly adjusted rocker, I'm afraid we will be into this for a lot more money than we should.Some who have encountered this problem did say they would rather buy an engine than replace the heads. Live and learn. It really pisses me off because I am sure the Chevrolet dealership knew of the problem. How they could let a kid in college, working part time buy this truck is a crime!
Hope you can help.
Kmanz

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Thick globs of congealed oil? An oil starvation issue may have shown up. The heads can probably be ruled out as those are (relatively speaking) new, and the tick was there both before and after. Could be something you mentioned, or maybe something with the camshaft too.

kmanz1

Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Sorry for not replying sooner. It turns out the ticking noise was one of the rockers I missed tightening.
Thanks for your response.
Kmanz1

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online