NEED HELP 2003 GMC Envoy 5.3 V8 won't start (Key or Remote starter)

JacksonJ

Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Hi, this issue just started today. There's been no previous issues trying to start it but today after driving it around it decided to not start anymore. I tried both by the ignition key, as well as the remote starter I had installed over a year ago.

After poking around under the hood and slamming it shut it did start, but when I got it home it didn't start again. I suspected Starter since all I hear is a click instead of it starting. But reading around I see the Ignition switch is a common problem. My first question is wouldn't the remote starter bypass the ignition switch since it doesn't require the key to start? If not then the ignition switch is far easier for me to replace then the 3.2 hours (I read) of replacing the starter.

About 4 months ago I had an Alternator problem and the battery was checked then, so I don't suspect the Battery/Alternator to be an issue. The electrical system seems fine, it just has a click sound where it should be the engine turning over.

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
I say starter. A click indicates power to the starter but no rotation. See if you can get it bench tested

JacksonJ

Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Thanks for the reply Sir Jeff. That would require me to remove the starter correct? I just talked to my dad, he suggested I make sure that my battery posts are well connected and not corroded. Also because I live in Canada it's possible the Starter wires may have become corroded from the salt put down in the winters.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Good suggestion from your dad. The starter is a very high current draw load, and poor connections at the battery are magnified by that large draw. The poor connection adds resistance to the circuit, which could cause the starter to not have enough current when needed, i.e. starting the engine.

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
Also driving a 2003 5.3, my starter went not too long ago. If if is seized, sometimes slamming the hood or banging it may give it a short reprieve, which could explain your symptoms. So I would bet on just a seized starter.

Ziggy

Feb 8, 2015
When you say it "clicks", are we talking about a singular "click" or rapid clicking in succession while the key is turned to the "start" detent? A singular click, then nothing would indicate to me that that you're dealing with corrosion on the sidepost terminals of your battery. WORST BATTERY DESIGN EVER imo. You'll need to completely remove the cables from the battery, and get a wire brush and some Coca-cola. Pour the coke on the battery and cables, and use the wire brush to scrub both. Once clean, reconnect and hit the key. Rinse the corrosion and Coke out of your engine bay, and you should be good to go. Haven't had a side-post battery that I've not had to do this with at some point.

Rapid clicking in succession could indicate a couple of issues. 1) Weak battery - Just enough juice to throw the bendix, but not enough to actually turn the starter. 2) Bad/Siezed starter - Again, juice enough to throw the bendix, but if the starter is seized, there may not be enough juice to overcome the friction of seized components.

I'd start with the easiest and most likely thing first, which is corrosion on the terminals. Worst case scenario is that you do some preventative work to keep from being stranded for that issue in the future.

JacksonJ

Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
It is clearly just 1 single click. I did take a short video of me trying to start it via remote starter. But I'll have to figure out the best way to upload it from my phone. Tonight I'm going to check the battery quickly when I get home from work.

Ziggy

Feb 8, 2015
It is clearly just 1 single click. I did take a short video of me trying to start it via remote starter. But I'll have to figure out the best way to upload it from my phone. Tonight I'm going to check the battery quickly when I get home from work.
Okay, keep us posted, I suspect that if you get into the truck and look at your voltmeter on the dash when you first turn the key on, it's showing something like 12-13 volts, but when you hit the key, and hear that click, the voltmeter drops to 8 or less. Clean up the posts and report back.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Have you tried swapping the starter relay? Even if it clicks, it could make a bad connection. Try swapping it with another, like the horn.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online