2003 Envoy XL SLE - SES & REP comes on randomly

gojeda

Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
Hello everyone. I hope someone can shed light on an issue I am having with my vehicle. I had made this post on Trailvoy and did get some feedback, but no solution. So, in an effort to find a resolution, I will cut and past my dillemma I had posted on Trailvoy.

***Post #1***

Vehicle:
2003 Envoy XL SLE
4.2L I-6
Mileage: 92,000

Hi everyone -

I am desperately looking for help on the rather serious REP issue.

Yesterday, for example, REP manifested itself no fewer than 45 times while my girlfriend was driving it. Today, I took the vehicle for my usual 34 mile commute and I got it once.

Symptoms: In the 10-20 seconds leading up to the truck going into REP mode, throttle response is sluggish and or "notchy" (meaning the truck accelerates not smoothly or linearly, but in a 'stepped' mode). Then, there is a moderate shudder lasting, at most, 2 seconds, then - boom into REP mode. Both Check Engine and REP lights come one.

Turning the truck off/on gets it out of REP mode. Check engine light stays on.

Environment: South Florida winter, little rain, low moisture. I was thinking we were looking at some sort of moisture issue with the wiring or harness, but in this rather dry enviroment I am not seeing it. Also, during rainshowers - the REP neither increases or descreases.

I've been dealing with this issue for a year now, if not more.

What Has Been Done:
I have replaced the Throttle Body Assembly (Delco). This did not alleviate the TEP issue.
I took the truck to the GMC dealer. They have no idea what was going on but noticed that fuse-box was out of a Trailblazer and not an Envoy. They said this could be a cause, but not 100% certain. That repair\labor cost me $1200 and did not resolve anything.

What I do have, but have not installed yet, is an accelerator, throttle-by-wire assembly. I got that after reading in some spots that this could be a culprit.

Codes:
After having the check engine light on for a while, I hook up the code reader to it and it comes back with these codes:

P0171
P0172
P0340
P1221
P1516
P1481

I cleared the check engine light and codes then took her out for a ride to try to induce another REP. Upon starting the motor, I get the following code:

P0340

HOWEVER, this code does not trigger the Check Engine or REP light.

About 15 minutes into my ride, the usual shudder and REP event occurs. This time the reader tells me:

Code 1: 1221
Code 2: 0340
Code 3: 1221

Odd that 1221 showed up twice.

Anyway, engine-codes.com tells me that GMC 1221 has to do with TPS 1-2 correlation. As mentioned before, this is a genuine Delco aftermarket throttle body\TAC.

I still have the old throttle body.

I will also note that the engine idles rather roughly. I thought it was an engine mount issue, but a mechanic friend of mine took a quick look at it and said it was OK there.

So, I am wits end here. I cannot discern a pattern and I need this vehicle to be working properly.

***Post #2***

Today, two things occurred.

1. When starting the vehicle cold, the vehicle holds on to 1st gear too long under moderate acceleration. When it does grab 2nd, it does so rather roughly. This goes away once the vehicle is up to operating temperature.

2. After my 35 mile commute, upon hitting the light at the end of the exit ramp I take, the vehicle shuddered violently, engine almost went off, and message center said "OIL PRESSURE LOW" then "STOP ENGINE" for a few seconds each. NO REP light appeared. Check engine light was already on. Engine stabilized itself a few seconds after that, but at a highly elevated IDLE speed (almost 1000 RPM).

I have seen this before where the vehicle sit at this high idle. Sometimes restarting the vehicle helps being the idle back down, sometimes it does not.

Also - not sure if I've mentioned this in the OP, but the truck does idle roughly all the time. The idle is relatively stable (until the motor starts hiccuping just before the dreaded REP appear) , but it is rough - and, of course, more pronounced when the vehicle is cold.

Lastly, I should note - the engine has no trouble starting at all.

***Post #3***

So, I went ahead and switched out the accelerator assembly, which you may or may not know is throttle-by-wire on this truck. It was a royal pain in the ass to switch out, but I got it done.

Of course, I disconnected the battery before starting.

So, after switching the unit out, I started her up. I noticed a couple of things.

1. The truck still idles rough, however the hesitation that I was feeling when pressing on the accelerator from a standing start is, for the most part, gone. She does not accelerate any quicker or anything like that.

2. As mentioned, the idle roughness is unchanged. The roughness is significant enough that it rattles the grill a bit - and that be heard from inside the truck. Idle seems to be ok at 700 RPM or so.

3. The "whoooooooooa" sound of the fan clutch seems to be a bit more pronounced and seems to linger a bit until 40 MPH. Before I switched out the accelerator, the fan clutch sound stopped when the tranny shifted from first to second.

4. I took her out for a 30 minute spin. About 10 minutes into it, to my disappointment the REP manifested itself. I did the usual: pulled over to the side of the road, turned the car off, waited 10 seconds, then turned her back on. Check Engine light stayed lit, but REP went away - and I was able to drive the truck normally.

5. About 10 minutes later, I stopped off at CVS to get something. When I came back out, the Check Engine light was gone - which is unusual because it usually lingers for about 4-5 times the ignition is turned on to start - and only then if no new codes appear, it will go away. But like I said, the next time I started the truck, the SES was off.

There was no other drama for the rest of the trip.

What I do notice is still some irregular throttle response at around 20 to 30 MPH. The truck bogs down, not accelerating as you would expect her to.

***Post #4***

Quick update....

So after replacing the gas pedal assembly and going through my regular commute, I have to report that the issue has not been resolved.

I am still getting the usual SES/REP condition with no rhyme or reason.

I am about to set this vehicle on fire and drive it straight into a canal. VERY frustrating.

So I am not even sure where to go from here. I am thinking about sending off a letter or a phone call to GM regional - or even Detroit - to see if I get any sort of traction. In the meantime, I am going to look into getting rid of the Envoy.

$1500 in repairs and parts and I am no closer to resolving the issue.

-----

Sorry for the long post. These are the 4 posts I made over at Trailvoy, so there is quite a bit of information here.

I am currently at wits end and I dont know what the next step it. If there are any additional steps or any thoughts as to what is going on, please let me know.

Thanks,
George

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
What did you do about the P0340 (camshaft position sensor) code?
Welcome to the nation.

gojeda

Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
Texan said:
Welcome to the nation.
Thanks for the welcome.

As for what I did about P0340 - nothing. What do you suggest my course of action should be? Open for any suggestions.

Thanks,
George

gojeda

Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
gojeda said:
Thanks for the welcome.

As for what I did about P0340 - nothing. Is that a misfire on the #4 cylinder code? If it is, should I replace the coil pack on that cylinder?

What would be your advice here? I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,
George

gojeda

Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
Texan said:
Welcome to the nation.
Thanks for the welcome.

As for what I did about P0340 - nothing. Is that a misfire on the #4 cylinder code? If it is, should I replace the coil pack on that cylinder?
What would be your advice here? I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,
George

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
Use the search function at the top of this thread and plug in P0340.
That is not a misfire code. The cam position sensor is located on the
front of the engine near the top, above water pump. Relative easy
to replace, but get a AC Delco sensor. Rock Auto (parts) on the
web is a good place to look for one. Should be less than $40.

Misfire code would be P0304.

Reactions: Berniedorf

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I had a REP issue once with my TB harness. Granted this was vandalism, but even when I had it reconnected, there were a few issues here and there until the connections were perfect. My wires were cut and when they were all reconnected, one or two of them weren't making contact 100% of the time.

I would triple check the harness, make sure all the pins are clean. There is a TB relearn process, sometimes it's not needed. I would try it first.

gojeda

Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
Texan said:
Use the search function at the top of this thread and plug in P0340.
That is not a misfire code. The cam position sensor is located on the
front of the engine near the top, above water pump. Relative easy
to replace, but get a AC Delco sensor. Rock Auto (parts) on the
web is a good place to look for one. Should be less than $40.

Misfire code would be P0304.
Thanks for responding.

Tonight, I wanted to get a fresh batch of codes to see if anything has change.

As usual, the SES light was on. I plugged in m reader and it came back with the the following three codes:

P1221
P1515
P1516

I reset the SES. It went off. I took her for a ride to see if I can get a SES and REP. About 20 minutes into my ride, voila, I get my SES\REP.

I took an immediate reading. Only ONE code appeared: P1221, which is the TPS in the throttle body.

I have replaced the throttle body. Elsewhere, it has been said that the TPS works closely with the fan clutch.
I have disconnected the fan clutch, at the harness, and still get SES\REP. It should be noted that just before the vehicle was bought, the fan clutch was replaced.

Thoughts?

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
The fan clutch sends a signal back to the PCM(ECM) to tell it what the
fan is doing. If the brain thinks that the fan is not working correctly,
it can tell the brain to go into REP mode.

How long ago did you buy the Envoy?

Reactions: Berniedorf

gojeda

Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
I got her in 2013, used of course. It the issue didn't manifest itself until about a year after getting it.

i did disconnect the fan clutch harness, the one that is on the shroud on the driver's side. Same thing.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
I wish I could help, but it is hard to do over the air. I agree with gmcman that you
should double check the electrical connections and wiring harness. Good luck.

Berniedorf

Nov 5, 2022
Florida
Hello everyone. I hope someone can shed light on an issue I am having with my vehicle. I had made this post on Trailvoy and did get some feedback, but no solution. So, in an effort to find a resolution, I will cut and past my dillemma I had posted on Trailvoy.

***Post #1***

Vehicle:
2003 Envoy XL SLE
4.2L I-6
Mileage: 92,000

Hi everyone -

I am desperately looking for help on the rather serious REP issue.

Yesterday, for example, REP manifested itself no fewer than 45 times while my girlfriend was driving it. Today, I took the vehicle for my usual 34 mile commute and I got it once.

Symptoms: In the 10-20 seconds leading up to the truck going into REP mode, throttle response is sluggish and or "notchy" (meaning the truck accelerates not smoothly or linearly, but in a 'stepped' mode). Then, there is a moderate shudder lasting, at most, 2 seconds, then - boom into REP mode. Both Check Engine and REP lights come one.

Turning the truck off/on gets it out of REP mode. Check engine light stays on.

Environment: South Florida winter, little rain, low moisture. I was thinking we were looking at some sort of moisture issue with the wiring or harness, but in this rather dry enviroment I am not seeing it. Also, during rainshowers - the REP neither increases or descreases.

I've been dealing with this issue for a year now, if not more.

What Has Been Done:
I have replaced the Throttle Body Assembly (Delco). This did not alleviate the TEP issue.
I took the truck to the GMC dealer. They have no idea what was going on but noticed that fuse-box was out of a Trailblazer and not an Envoy. They said this could be a cause, but not 100% certain. That repair\labor cost me $1200 and did not resolve anything.

What I do have, but have not installed yet, is an accelerator, throttle-by-wire assembly. I got that after reading in some spots that this could be a culprit.

Codes:
After having the check engine light on for a while, I hook up the code reader to it and it comes back with these codes:

P0171
P0172
P0340
P1221
P1516
P1481

I cleared the check engine light and codes then took her out for a ride to try to induce another REP. Upon starting the motor, I get the following code:

P0340

HOWEVER, this code does not trigger the Check Engine or REP light.

About 15 minutes into my ride, the usual shudder and REP event occurs. This time the reader tells me:

Code 1: 1221
Code 2: 0340
Code 3: 1221

Odd that 1221 showed up twice.

Anyway, engine-codes.com tells me that GMC 1221 has to do with TPS 1-2 correlation. As mentioned before, this is a genuine Delco aftermarket throttle body\TAC.

I still have the old throttle body.

I will also note that the engine idles rather roughly. I thought it was an engine mount issue, but a mechanic friend of mine took a quick look at it and said it was OK there.

So, I am wits end here. I cannot discern a pattern and I need this vehicle to be working properly.

***Post #2***

Today, two things occurred.

1. When starting the vehicle cold, the vehicle holds on to 1st gear too long under moderate acceleration. When it does grab 2nd, it does so rather roughly. This goes away once the vehicle is up to operating temperature.

2. After my 35 mile commute, upon hitting the light at the end of the exit ramp I take, the vehicle shuddered violently, engine almost went off, and message center said "OIL PRESSURE LOW" then "STOP ENGINE" for a few seconds each. NO REP light appeared. Check engine light was already on. Engine stabilized itself a few seconds after that, but at a highly elevated IDLE speed (almost 1000 RPM).

I have seen this before where the vehicle sit at this high idle. Sometimes restarting the vehicle helps being the idle back down, sometimes it does not.

Also - not sure if I've mentioned this in the OP, but the truck does idle roughly all the time. The idle is relatively stable (until the motor starts hiccuping just before the dreaded REP appear) , but it is rough - and, of course, more pronounced when the vehicle is cold.

Lastly, I should note - the engine has no trouble starting at all.

***Post #3***

So, I went ahead and switched out the accelerator assembly, which you may or may not know is throttle-by-wire on this truck. It was a royal pain in the ass to switch out, but I got it done.

Of course, I disconnected the battery before starting.

So, after switching the unit out, I started her up. I noticed a couple of things.

1. The truck still idles rough, however the hesitation that I was feeling when pressing on the accelerator from a standing start is, for the most part, gone. She does not accelerate any quicker or anything like that.

2. As mentioned, the idle roughness is unchanged. The roughness is significant enough that it rattles the grill a bit - and that be heard from inside the truck. Idle seems to be ok at 700 RPM or so.

3. The "whoooooooooa" sound of the fan clutch seems to be a bit more pronounced and seems to linger a bit until 40 MPH. Before I switched out the accelerator, the fan clutch sound stopped when the tranny shifted from first to second.

4. I took her out for a 30 minute spin. About 10 minutes into it, to my disappointment the REP manifested itself. I did the usual: pulled over to the side of the road, turned the car off, waited 10 seconds, then turned her back on. Check Engine light stayed lit, but REP went away - and I was able to drive the truck normally.

5. About 10 minutes later, I stopped off at CVS to get something. When I came back out, the Check Engine light was gone - which is unusual because it usually lingers for about 4-5 times the ignition is turned on to start - and only then if no new codes appear, it will go away. But like I said, the next time I started the truck, the SES was off.

There was no other drama for the rest of the trip.

What I do notice is still some irregular throttle response at around 20 to 30 MPH. The truck bogs down, not accelerating as you would expect her to.

***Post #4***

Quick update....

So after replacing the gas pedal assembly and going through my regular commute, I have to report that the issue has not been resolved.

I am still getting the usual SES/REP condition with no rhyme or reason.

I am about to set this vehicle on fire and drive it straight into a canal. VERY frustrating.

So I am not even sure where to go from here. I am thinking about sending off a letter or a phone call to GM regional - or even Detroit - to see if I get any sort of traction. In the meantime, I am going to look into getting rid of the Envoy.

$1500 in repairs and parts and I am no closer to resolving the issue.

-----

Sorry for the long post. These are the 4 posts I made over at Trailvoy, so there is quite a bit of information here.

I am currently at wits end and I dont know what the next step it. If there are any additional steps or any thoughts as to what is going on, please let me know.

Thanks,
George
I am having the exact same problems, you are not alone

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You do realize that this was 7 years ago?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online