2003 Envoy to purchase

PonokaTB

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Hi all, first post on this new forum, good to see all the familiar names. Great place to hang out. Anyway, I have a chance to purchase an2003 Envoy, fully loaded, no leather. He says the 4x4 does not function but the rest runs perfect. Excellent shape otherwise. 112000 KMs. He is asking $5500. What do you all think. Thanks for any input.:crazy:

PonokaTB

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
I am going to take it for a drive tomorrow. My concern is, is it worth $5500 with just 112000 kms, even if I have to replace the front diff?

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
I'm not that aware of prices in the US or canada but here that would be considered a good deal. A fully functional 2003 would cost somewhere between 6500-9500 USD. I agree with Me007gold you'll need to find out what is wrong exactly. The last thing you want is to get yourself into something you dunno about. These cars though great, are still a bit sensitive :thumbsup:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Just under 70,000 miles... If everything else was in working order and it wasn't trashed it should be worth it.

PonokaTB

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Well just took it for a drive, runs smooth and quiet, straight as an arrow on the highway. Put in 4hi and could here the whine of one actuator but not the other. There was a grinding noise when I drove forward. Any ideas? Thanks all:cool:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Could be front diff, could be the transfer case. Did the previous owner change the transfer case fluid every 50K miles?

A grinding front diff in 4HI will EVENTUALLY start grinding itself to pieces in 2HI, and could jam up and leave you not able to move. Very risky buying a vehicle in that condition without removing a bunch of parts and abandoning the 4WD system.

Is taking it to a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection out of the question?

PonokaTB

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Thanks for the quick response Roadie, I was hoping that yhe lack of second actuator noise would be the problem. I think I hear a little noise from second motor. Thought maybe the disconnect was only moving part way and not engaging the gears fully. What do you think. I have a spare 2002 TB that I have been taking body parts from for my roll over project.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
A splined disconnect problem would be on the passenger side, and they almost never fail the way you 're thinking. The diff, as you know, is on the driver's side. Get it on a lift and check it out. I can't help localize the noise any better than you can. I would be very nervous to own that vehicle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.