2003 Envoy SLT I6 4.2 - Transmission Fluid & Filter Change

PBoneBallSack

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Hello,
I have never done this job before, but you guys have walked me though so many other jobs, its time I try this one too.

What is the volume of fluid I will need for this job?
What's the recommended fluid I should use?
Can and should I get the filter from a place like Part Source to save a few bucks?
Will I need a new gasket for the pan?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
-Phil

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
PBoneBallSack said:
Hello,
I have never done this job before, but you guys have walked me though so many other jobs, its time I try this one too.

Can and should I get the filter from a place like Part Source to save a few bucks?

-Phil
You'll need 5 quarts.
Recommended is Dex III but we all use Dex VI...easier to get and is the newest version.
The filter kits should run about $15-20 for a Wix and they all come with a new gasket. Just make sure you get the right one ie: shallow pan or deep pan.

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
PBoneBallSack said:
Hello,

5 qts is needed if you are just replacing what's in the pan. There's a school of thought flushing a high mileage transmission can potentially do more harm than good.
You might consider adding a drain plug while the pan is off. As an option there was a recent post of a relatively cheap Dorman pan that included a drain plug. Makes the next job much easier.
Without a drain you'll be loosening the pan bolts and letting fluid drain from the edge of the pan. Generally can get messy.

Dextron VI.

Yes. Keep in mind often there will be two filters listed. One for a shallow pan, one for a deep pan. There's a high likelyhood you will have the deep pan version. I think one way of telling is the pan will have a step in it while the shallow pan is the same depth

If this is the first time changing fluid you won't know be able to predict the condition of the old gasket. I've used Wix filters from Rockauto. There's one option that includes a new gasket. There maybe be others. If buying at a local parts store I'd ask if the gasket is included.

-Phil

After this first time you'll be an expert!
Matt I think we posted at the same time. But looks like info is the same.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
AbsoluteZero said:
After this first time you'll be an expert!
Matt I think we posted at the same time. But looks like info is the same.

Looks like it mate.

Reactions: Flash517
Dec 4, 2011
You guys were right on with the info you provided. I would just like to add a little more.

A complete flush includes the Torque Converter, Lines and Cooler(s). This will take the total of the required fluid to somewhere between 12 to 14 quarts.

With respect to recommended fluid, I find any top shelf synthetic replacement such as Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil will work equally well as the Genuine GM Stuff.

Here is another thread that is on going with a lot of data with respect to Tranny Fluid changes.

http://gmtnation.com/f79/best-method-full-transmission-flush-2246/

Changing the tranny fluid with regularity is always a wise move.

PBoneBallSack

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I think I'll just drain the pan and change the filter this time around and then do it again with a full flush and filter change in the summer to clear out any gunk/crap that the new fluid may have loosened up like some people have now got me concerned about. At only $20 a filter and $20 in fluid, I think it may be worth it to do it this way seeing I bought this Envoy used with 170,000km on it and have no idea the maintenance history.

Thanks again for all the help on this board... Beers in my garage tomorrow.
Cheers,
-Phil

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
GM spec'ed Dexron VI to replace just about all Dexron III applications. If you search the web you should be able to find info on what those exceptions are. Our TB's and Voy's are not on the exception list.

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
At arround $17.99 for 1 gallon (4 qrts), a full flush using 12-14 qts looks to cost a few $$. Anyone know what the average cost of this is at your average repair place (not a stealership)?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Woody, I think it's over the $100 mark if they are using the machine.

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
Matt said:
Woody, I think it's over the $100 mark if they are using the machine.

Gottcha. So it is cheaper to do it yourself. Thanks :thumbsup:

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
Instead of doing a full flush you could just remove the passenger side cooling line on the bottom of the radiator and turn the truck on until you get air, then drop pan and clean and replace. Then replace line, and fill the dipstick tube with fluid, right?

PBoneBallSack

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
So I went ahead and change out the fluid in the pan and replaced the filter with no issues... well I did manage to break one of the 17 bolts holding the cover on, but it does not seem to be leaking after cleaning up the pan, installing the filter and gasket and sealing up the transmission.

It took a total of an hour and after putting in three quarts and half a quarts of the Lucas Transmission Additive, I followed the Owners Manual to top it up to the correct levels. I then drove it around for 20 min and then repeated the top up process again and needed to add another .5 of a quart.
View attachment 19496

All is well, Thanks again everyone for your help with this job.
-Phil

Attachments

• transmissionFluid.jpg
    transmissionFluid.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 21

playstrings

Dec 19, 2011
Hi ,
I put one of those Pro King filters in last fall. Deep pan version.

On cold days -8deg C and colder the tranny made a racket shifting for a little bit.. WTF !!!

After researching it , comes out that it is tied to that Darn filter. Seems other guys have had the same problem over at trailvoy using the same filter ... changed it out and no noise. Seems the colder fluid gets held up in the filter till it warms up. If I let it warm up the noise was minimal.

I am ordering a new filter today. (Now that it is warm enough to get under LOL)

Just an FYI after seeing the pic. Hope yours does not make the noise !!

Enjoy!

PS

OH yes I did a full purge of my system by using the tranny pump up through works real good.:undecided:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online