2003 Envoy pressed into service for my Sienna needs......

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Why didn't I ever think of that? Good one!

MD_Envoy_Driver

Original poster
Dec 8, 2021
Silver Spring, MD
Why didn't I ever think of that? Good one!
The thought of paying someone $800.00 to do this was a deal-breaker. A $200.00 DIY weekend with parts from Rock Auto and I am good to go. This includes the update tool too (eBay). Set the tire upright or Mr. Gravity will teach you a harsh lesson of "hide the sensor" when the old one falls into the tire. The tennis balls are heavy duty practice balls or dog toys, your choice.

Attachments

• tennis.jpg
    tennis.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 8

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Never done it that way.. I just drive over it with a steer tire until the bead breaks..

Is my Saab supposed to have TPMS? @Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Is my Saab supposed to have TPMS? @Mooseman
My 06 didn't. IIRC, 07 was the first year on the 360's (and mandated by the US Gov't)

tokanero

Mar 15, 2021
Maryland
If breaking beads is a frequent practice you should get a manual bead breaker/tire changer from Harbor Freight. I don't use it to change tires because it would need to be bolted to the floor but it can be used to break beads w/o bolting it down. Saves a ton of time and work.

MD_Envoy_Driver

Original poster
Dec 8, 2021
Silver Spring, MD
If breaking beads is a frequent practice you should get a manual bead breaker/tire changer from Harbor Freight. I don't use it to change tires because it would need to be bolted to the floor but it can be used to break beads w/o bolting it down. Saves a ton of time and work.
This is the first time I have tried working on tires and all I needed was to pop one half of the bead above the sensor so this was handy. I may buy my next set of tires on line and swap them out on the Envoy and THEN I would probably get the bead breaker combo to get the old ones off and swap on the new rubber. It would fit just fine on my garage floor and since it could be stored out of the way when not in use.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
If you use the HFT tire changer to change just one set of tires it pays for itself. Since I am a glutton for punishment I changed a dozen tires - it's more than paid for :biggrin:
The bead breaker is reasonably good and I've even used it on motorcycle tires.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I have one of those and hate it. Bead breaker bent and I had to reinforce it. It never does it well. And since I deal with 17"+ truck tires, it's never easy to work with. I'd rather pay some young grunt in a shop to do it although I did break my own beads with the truck and some wood to remove TPMS sensors from old wheels.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
The mod I did to it was to weld the three pieces of the base together. I also made an adapter for motorcycle wheels from a 14 inch rim. So add three motorcycle tires to the tally.
If you use brute force you will bend and break things.
Two of the "professionally installed" tires on the car had side ply damage from the powerful professional machines. The tires should have been scrapped after the sidewall ply was cut, but the installer didn't want to pay for new tires so they left it as is and I unknowingly drove with the increased risk of a blowout. That proves that one ply of a two ply sidewall is "adequately" strong:wowfaint:

Technique rather than brute force is the key to this "light duty" machine. If resistance suddenly becomes much greater, stop and check why. When the tire is mostly on the rim the last part of the tire needs many small movements of the mounting bar rather than a large continuous force. With some tires it was easier to use thin pry bars rather than the provided bar to get the last few inches of the bead on or off.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online