2002 Trailblazer key trouble

pm83

Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Hello everyone my name is Paul. I'm having an issue with my 02 Trailblazer when i pulled into the parking lot of my job today and went to get out of my truck the keys wouldnt turn all the way back and i cannot get them out of the ignition i then tried to start the truck and I get nothing its like the battery is dead no head or dash lights, radio, dome lights, the horn doesn't even work but I know the battery is good!! I'm really hoping that someone can give me some advice as to what the problem is and maybe even a solution. Either way any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!!:confused:

pm83

Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
I'm thinking it might be the ignition switch but I'm really not sure however if it is the ignition switch is there a way to get the key out so i dont have to leave my truck unattended with the key in it even though it wont start it still makes me uncomfortable

GS_Geoff

Jul 7, 2012
Are you able to shift the vehicle out of park? If not, keep reading.

The shift lock could be on. I know it acts that way on some vehicles. Your 2002 may have an orange lever under the shifter boot (leather flap covering the base of the shifter). If you do have that, try pushing down on it. Then try to shift out of park and back into park. If the solenoid is acting up, it may have locked your key in there (in other words, the truck doesn't "think" it's fully in park, so it won't let you yank the key out). GM removed the orange levers at some point in production, so if you do NOT see an orange lever when you pull up the shift boot, the process is more complicated. You will have to feel up under the console to hit the solenoid button - I have seen a picture of it, but never had to mess with it myself. If you are continually having problems, it could be that this solenoid is bad.

This is the first thing that came to mind when I read your description.

pm83

Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
First I want to thank you for your help this is way out of my league!! Now i dont have the orange lever you talked about but i looked under the column and found a tab i popped it off and used a screwdriver to bush a brass button up and it realeased the key thankfully!!!!! Ok with that said i had an issue awhile back the truck wouldnt turn over when trying to start it just made a fast clicking sound then after about 3 tries the battery was dead. I let it set over night due to rain and other factors and the next day my father-in-law said to tap the starter and see if that would help and it did i tapped it a few times and she fired right up!! That hasnt happened for awhile now. Could a bad starter cause my truck to lose voltage/drain the battery? Once again thank you for your help!!!!

GS_Geoff

Jul 7, 2012
Glad it worked!

On the starting issue... If it sat overnight then started fine in the morning, I would say it's probably the starter solenoid. If the battery was dead enough to prevent starting, it wouldn't start the next day. Usually tapping the starter will work once or twice, and then you're out of luck.

When you say the battery died after 3 tries, did the interior lights go out and everything, or did the starter just stop cranking?

pm83

Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
After the 3rd try everything was dead no lights anywhere and the horn didnt even work. I had the battery tested and adv auto told me that it had a low charge but the cells were good but when i came to get it today it still wouldnt start so i hooked a volt meter to it and it was at like 2.59 volts so a buddy of mine gave me a jump and after a few minutes it started but i dont undertsand why the battery is dying on its own. After it was started i disconnected the hot post on the battery and it ran fine so would that mean the alt. is good?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
pm83 said:
After the 3rd try everything was dead no lights anywhere and the horn didnt even work. I had the battery tested and adv auto told me that it had a low charge but the cells were good but when i came to get it today it still wouldnt start so i hooked a volt meter to it and it was at like 2.59 volts so a buddy of mine gave me a jump and after a few minutes it started but i dont undertsand why the battery is dying on its own. After it was started i disconnected the hot post on the battery and it ran fine so would that mean the alt. is good?

Disconnecting the battery cable like that is not good for the alternator and, IIRC, can cause voltage spikes that can cause electrical problems.

It sounds like you have a parasitic battery drain. If you haven't up-dated the On-Star, now would be a good time to disconnect it. They have been known to drain the battery. Make sure all lights are OFF. (Under hood, glove box, visor mirror lights for starters.)

Guano

Jan 4, 2012
Autozone told you need a new Battery...so start there, sounds like you may have other issues,
Anyway...once you get below 12.5 volts these electric Beasts can go pissy or INSANE in the membrane.

pm83

Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
I had no idea that disconnecting the battery after the truck was started was a bad thing I won't be doing that again!! And advanced told me the battery was good just had to be charged but i am going to get a new one it's dated 7/07 so i think its time. It seems like this all started when the weather got colder!! I will also be taking the onstar off I'm not using it anyway thanks everyone.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online