2002 TrailBlazer door speakers

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I have been told but don't know for sure yet, that the front and rear door speakers are all the same. Now that I have the intermittent no crank problem fixed, I am now focusing on the speakers problems. The only speaker that works is the driver's rear door speaker. Because I still need to do a side to side swap to see if the problem is the head unit or 3 bad speakers, I am reaching out now to see if a member here has any speakers for sale. If I find that the speakers are the problem, I would want to buy 4 speakers, in case the one working speaker is on it's way out. Thanks for any help with this and please respond with info on whether the 4 speakers are in fact all the same.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I think I might, but would depend on if you have the Bose or not... Im half asleep, and I know we covered this before, but I cant remember.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Once the weather turns a little warmer and no rain, I will be removing the left rear speaker and swapping to right rear to see if speaker works there, to narrow down possible head unit problem. I will post here what type/name of speakers they are.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Should be able to look in your glove box, and the RPO list. I think the code you are looking for is UQ8?

EDIT: UQA is the BOSE

@Mooseman - A little help here. Im so tired I am cross eyed! only 7 more hours of work to go.. :stars:

Last edited:
Reactions: movietvet

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I will look and report.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Just looked. The only "U" codes are UN0 and U73.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Pic of the RPO codes:

IMG_20230406_115818.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
This may be helpful for you in the future :book: Pulled this out of GMSI

Attachments

• RPO Code List.pdf
    27.1 KB · Views: 8

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The speakers I have are for BOSE.. And I am fairly certain, you dont have BOSE.

Per the build sheet..

Just basic speakers.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I agree that they would be basic speakers. This rig is very basic. It does not even have the capability for key fobs. But that is fine with my girl. She has very basic vehicle needs. We have my Tahoe for road trips and her 1990 K2500 128k miles truck for hauling.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If you want, you can -possibly- add Bluetooth to your factory radio, once you figure out your radio situation..

If its just speakers, and you keep the factory headunit, Bluetooth is not an option on that headunit.

A headunit from a later year can have Bluetooth, but I would need to research the part number.

I added Bluetooth to my factory radio, and LOVE it. Have one in both my Saab and my Envoy. Getting ready to install one in my wives Aztek, but that one required a radio upgrade, as its like yours. Has to be capable of Satellite to have Bluetooth.

I see Bluetooth as a safety feature, more than a luxury.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
You don't have the UQA system, you can replace the speakers with any 4ohm speaker you want.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Any 4 ohm speaker that "bolts" in.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Ok, I just removed both rear door covers and removed the speakers. The left rear worked already and when that speaker was plugged in to the right rear connection it worked there as well. The right rear speaker still would not work when plugged in to the left rear connection. I know I need at least one speaker but if someone is selling two rears, as a pair, and don't want to split up, I would buy two. Here is some pics. The speaker itself will unbolt from the wing looking mount bracket.

20230407_162545.jpg

Attachments

• 20230407_162556.jpg
    20230407_162556.jpg
    416.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230407_162605.jpg
    20230407_162605.jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 4

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have a complete BOSE set, front and rear, but not sure it would sound right, or work well, without the amp...

The odd part is... I got them from a member from Oregon!

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
She is not a person that needs or wants crystal clear great set up like a Bose set up. As a matter of fact, she only wants to listen from rear speakers. Because I have 3 bad speakers, out of 4, and the one working one is 21 years old, I am gonna get her a pair of new ones from RA. New ones are just under $64 each and new at ebay is $90. Before my RA 5% discount, the pair of new shipped are $141.77 and with discount is $135.38.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The rear speakers I got I could sell you for the cost of shipping. I'm just not sure about the factory wiring connection. I think they are different Bose to non-Bose

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
When I was looking at ebay there did look to be a difference on the connectors but I was not paying close attention.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm pretty sure Bose speakers will not work with a non-Bose head unit. Either they will burn out the radio or they won't produce enough sound. The Bose are 2ohm and the regulars are 4ohm.

Reactions: Matt and movietvet

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I forgot about the ohm thing

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Basic is good with her and coming from just the rear is fine. She has front and rear speakers in her truck and only plays the rear speakers.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check the size and get a pair of cheap aftermarket speakers from Amazon. Anything will be better than the originals.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
.. or Walmart if you shop there.. Craigslist is another option. Facebook market place.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Already ordered and shipped from RA. She wants to keep it stock. I saw the universal mount speakers and thought of them but she wants what she wants for her vehicle.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Happy wife, somewhat happy life lol

• Haha

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
Ok, received the new front GM speakers from RA and installed them and now all 4 speakers work and all balance, fade, bass and treble adjustments as they should. She is getting ready for a trip to Seattle over the Mother's Day weekend to see her granddaughter graduate.

Question. The warning tone, from the driver's door speaker, seems louder than normal to me. Is louder than my Tahoe. Is there a way to lower that warning tone volume? The tone that says the key is still in the ignition, when driver's door is open. Thanks in advance. No, the radio volume knob makes no difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
An LS? I doubt it. Might be in an LT or LTZ with the DIC and steering wheel buttons.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I will check the owner's manual when she gets home here in a bit. I just edited my most recent post. I installed new "front" speakers to go along with the new rear speakers I recently installed. All my concerns that we had when we bought in December, are now addressed. I have no qualms sending her to Seattle in the TB for Mother's Day/granddaughter graduation.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
As far as I know, only on the Nav radio can you adjust the chime tones.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
This rig is as basic as you can get. I did go thru the owner's manual and see nothing about adjusting the warning tone. It is no big deal. She said it will be something to make sure she doesn't do a "DUH" moment.

Reactions: Mooseman

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I only took 25 minutes to remove both inner door covers/cards and replace the speakers. I was gonna do a you tube video but I wanted to hurry and get done. It was overcast and good chance of rain here, so I knocked it out quick.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
The bolt that is down deep in the arm rest attachment hole was a concern getting back in there without the bolt falling out of the socket. I came up with a way to address that when I originally did the arm rest replacement.

When I removed the bolt initially, I smeared a small amount of Permatex gasket maker on the head and left it in the socket while I did my other tasks and when went to reinstall bolt, it was partially glued to the socket. I reinstalled and tightened and then just wiggled the extension and socket back and forth to break the seal and the socket came back out, no problem.

When I did the speakers, that bolt head still had enough gasket maker on it to stay stuck in the socket during removal and replacement again.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That works. I usually just put a piece of paper towel to hold it in the socket.

movietvet

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
When I initially did the gasket maker on the bolt head, when I was done I just used a small flat blade screw driver to clean out the socket. It was a pleasant surprise that the gasket maker stuff was still on the bolt head when I did the speakers. Now both bolts, driver side and passenger side, have the gasket maker on them for the foreseeable future.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Whenever I take mine out, (which used to be A LOT when messing with those mirrors :bonk:) I usually just leave the nut driver, and extension I use, in the hole to hold the bolt in place until it's time to go back on.

Glad it worked out, and they're all working properly

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online